What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Dynon component arrangement

Cbull

Wanting to see what you all think about the arrangement of my components. I think I have everything taped up that I can think of.

I will have:
3-10" Skyview touch in a aerosport 310 panel
Garmin GTN 650 or 750
PS Engineering Audio Panel
Throttle quadrant from Aerosport Products (mounts to tunnel cover)
VPX Pro on a tray
comm is behind the wires left of center

Pretty much it for the panel (minus the add-on Dynon individual knob panels)

primarily want to be sure I'm providing enough room for all the components on the sub-panel. Hopefully I will be able to access everything by removing the screens.

Much Thanks

Cory

sub%20panel%20layout.JPG

One more question. Which if any of these have you remote mounted and where? (guess thats 2) Looks like the EMS module might be a directly behind Garmin and Audio Panel

panel layout

I checked the pix I took when building my panel. My GTN & PS eng trays protrude through the the sub panel.

One more thing. The cables from the EMS connectors look like they are routed down and might be in conflict with the throttle quadrant control cables.

Last edited:
If it was me I would move the transponder and ads to an place behind the rear bulkhead a d free up a bunch of space to mount the the box on the sub panel

Before you choose any of the locations, install the front panel with the displays and radios. I think you will find that the 650 will protrude into the subpanel. I would remote all the batteries.

My only worry would be interference from the GTN and the sub panel. I used the Aerosport products dual 10" panel and had to cut a substantial hole in my sub panel.

Shannnon

I spent a lot of time doing configuration layout for my RV-10 panel (dual 10" SkyViews, GTN-650, airspeed and altitude steam gauges). The RV-10 glare shield braces and the center cabin support makes layout challenging. I'm using a stock Van's panel - now on my second panel (the first lasted about 18 months before I decided to change a few things).

I looked at the Aerosport panel you plan to use and assume the GTN-650 will go below the panel into the center console. If so this eliminates the main issue of the GTN-650 needing to be mounted to miss the interference and have a hole cut in the next forward panel to accommodate the length. Considering the shallow depth of the SkyView displays this greatly simplifies the "where to put all the behind the panel stuff" problem. I offer however that some careful thought is needed now on how you will compensate for the lack of access to the tunnel for maintenance.

The main issue I see from your photo is you need to take into consideration the D connectors on your layout. For example the EMS, in this position, will need to be mounted on spacer as the D connectors will hit the lower bulkhead flange. Also note that the wires from the connectors cannot do that sharp of a bend so they will extend a few inches below the panel. Same goes for the ARINC and XPDR.

The ADS-B receiver need not be mounted behind the panel - and considering the most likely place for the ADS-B antenna is behind the baggage compartment bulkhead, that leads to mounting the receiver back there as well. I made a bracket for mine a foot or so aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead and the antenna is mounted a few inches from there. You need only a single four conductor shielded wire going between the receiver and the SkyView for connection.

On the SkyView network hub, this is in prime real estate. You can mount this on one of the glare shield ribs.

One other thought. Three SkyView backup batteries might be overkill (and expensive). I offer that for that added weight you can instead have two ship batteries (e.g. PC-625) configured to provide backup power and achieve a significant increase in redundancy. This approach would also lead to not using a VPX. PM me if interested in how to do this.

Carl

Thanks for all the comments, extremely helpful.

I will:

- Relocate the ADSB and XPNDR aft of the baggage bulkhead on a tray as far away from the ADAHRS as possible. I have the ADAHRS located up top on a tray like many other builders have done. I had always planned to put GPS antennas on the top of the empennage just aft of baggage bulkhead. So this will give me a shorter route for the ADSB antenna. I read somewhere the GTN has a min length for its antenna cable, so this location should cater to that.

- I was going to install XPNDER antenna in center of the tunnel up front 3' away from comms that are under rear seats. Instead I can install it 3' aft of comms in the bottom of the empennage. Probably easier to get to as opposed to in the tunnel.

- GTN and PS trays will be in the center stack below a 10" screen. Hard to tell now, but hopefully this lower configuration will help avoid too much, if any, mod to the sub panel

- I will rotate remaining components on sub panel to have the connectors extend horizontally from the components to avoid wires hanging below sub panel

- I really want to keep the VPX. I like just about everything about it.

- I also like being able to start up with at least one screen powered on so I can punch all my flight info in prior to run-up. Plus I can freak out all my non-dynon friends when I start the engine with Avionics on. Remote mounting the Batteries might be tough. The cable length for the batteries is only 24". Dynon has many warnings about any modification the battery leads. I suppose they could go on a tray aft of sub panel or I could fashion a removable/accessible try that can be affixed to the front side of the sub panel and easily dropped down.

- The primary reason for the network hub location is the length of the ADAHRS network cable, I should have bought the 20' instead of the 15'. 6 more inches would have been great. I suppose I can splice on extra length to the network cable and not be to worried about its performance. Then mount it to the right rib. I don't like the bend in the cables how they are now anyway.

- Once everything is installed I want to have to avoid getting behind and on top of the tunnel area. I'll just leave that area for control cables. Now with all that reclaimed realestate I think I can mount VPX to the Sub-panel. Will rework tonight

Thanks again for all the pointers

edit. I wanted to add I do have a large access cover on pax side of tunnel. I think I may add another to the PIC side offset fore or aft from the other

Cory Bull

Last edited:
OK but:
- Leave the XPDR behind the panel and put the XPDR antenna in a more forward spot on the bottom of the fuselage, respecting comm antenna distance requirements.
- The ADHARS do not care where you mount the GPS antennas.
- Do not let the Dynon cables dictate where you put stuff. It is way too easy just to cut them to the required length and put on a D connector. I typically get one or two long cables and cut them as needed.
- You need routine access to the tunnel for maintenance. Plan accordingly. Talk to others that have installed consoles and see what they did.

Carl

I think Chris Golden is on here from time to time. You could look him up. He has a -10 with 3 10" Skyview screens. He should have pictures of his subpanel.

Looks like you have about the same space as my -7. Backup batteries are on the panel supports that come from the firewall back.

ZLsKS9Xl.jpg

One thing that frustrates me is that I wish there were an easier to way to stack boxes on top of each other. Think NYC buildings vs. Montana. It would save some space. I did my best and stacked a few items, but the manufacturers do not make this easy on us with connectors here or there and different box sizes, even within the same manufacturer.

I just went through this process. If Dynon positioned the D connectors facing up it would make the placement a whole lot easier. In fact for two of the connectors I'll be using a 90 degree D-sub adapter. Assume you're going to need 4 or 5 inches out from the connectors for the harnesses to fit. The 9-pin connectors require a little less. Very annoying.

I can't vouch for these 90 degree adapters yet. I just ordered two of them the other day.

25-pin example:
https://www.amazon.com/L-com-Right-Angle-D-Sub-Adapter/dp/B000FMM8YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467750741&sr=8-1&keywords=L-com+db25+right+angle+exit+1

Curious to see how those 90's work, should be just fine.

Thanks for al the tips. I think I will try to make some AL plates and perhaps stack some of the components. Somewhat like the Dynon ADAHRS stacking plate that Dynon issued after I built the tray in the back for mine.

Any time I need to work behind the panel I'll just pull a screen, should be a big enough hole to work on just about anything on the sub panel.

net adapter location

Like your new design, I put txpder in back too, keeps antenna cable short and isolates antenna from COMs and ADSB antenna, the latter for me is going to bottom center just behind fire wall a few inches. I am putting 5-place net center off right F-1045, using space otherwise going to "waste". I decided to mount ADAHRS up front on bracket, using remote magnet sensor. This seems to save on 1/4" pitot/static/AOA lines for my install (I have steam gauge airspeed panel). The GTN-650 penetrates F1068 if you install above F-1003B, I have cut hole for that with support, angle on the bottom with rubber on F-1068. I am going with one remote/stand by PC680 battery on firewall so I can use it for starting too, if needed. Also using veneer/cables, flown a lot of quadrant equipped singles/twins and sure like the veneer for mixture/prop fine tuning. So makes it a bit easier to route control cables. Quads look cool, but to me, much less functional in the cockpit, just a personal choice we all make (and its cool we can!!). Sure loved the Dynon setup in the RV7, looking forward to many many hours in the RV-10 with their flawless performance!

Back