What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

windscreen removal

pilotdds

Well I have decided to replace my windshield before I paint the 116KR. Does anybody have any words of wisdom about the removal process, which I am absolutely dreading?
I have heard a router will help, but I can't find any information from other builders as to how to approach this process.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim rv-10 builder

I replaced my windshield after getting cracks during the initial install. It really wasn't that difficult, though I didn't have the composite fairings installed. Removing them will probably be the hardest part. I used a heat gun to remove the windshield. The glue provided by Van's softens before the composite is damaged if you are careful. I cut out the plexi, leaving an inch past the glue. I then used pliers and the heat gun to remove a few inches at a time. Took a few hours.

Aaron

I have done it. The windshield was broken due to being hit by a crashing Columbia. I used a rubber mallet and broke off one piece at a time. It popped loose fairly easily from the glue in small sections (6" or so each). It was not installed with Weld-On from Van's. After that we used a die grinder with a coarse grit sanding disk to remove the glue back to the original fiberglass lip.

Back