Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the welcome! It seems like I am on the right track. It is great to hear from actual builders. I am so excited to start its hard to sit back and think through everything. It sound slike this airplance is a good fit for what I will be doing. I think I will try to fly one before I build just to put my mind at ease. It sounds like I can't go wrong buying an RV!

Thank you again for all of the responese, this seems like a great resource to have once my project is underway. I joined the local EAA chapter last week toio and it turns out a few guys in there have build RVs. So now the next step is getting my workshop ready and starting to buy the tools. Any good places to look for used tools (besides the obvious, carigslist, ebay, etc...)?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Default Good machine

Tony,
As stated previously, the -8 is a great choice to build. My only complaint is I don't get to fly my as often as I like. It was my 1st build (I had done a couple of rebuilds on non-metal airplanes) and it was very straight forward and enjoyable.
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
All sound advice but are Tail Dragger & Conventional not one & the same or did I miss the joke?
My bad. Make that tricycle vs. conventional. Maybe there's a joke in there, but I don't get it.
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2021 Donor
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierra85 View Post
Any good places to look for used tools (besides the obvious, carigslist, ebay, etc...)?
I got the bulk of my tools right here on VAF. I was reading the forume here on a daily basis a full year or more before I ordered, and I ended up getting a whole tool kit for pretty cheap. I forget the exact price, but it included three air drills, 3X rivet gun, bucking bars snips, a ton of drill bits, and a bunch more stuff.

Of course, I've still sunk plenty more money into tools since then, but I figure that it's all cheap since we're talking about a combination of aviation dollars and tool dollars!

One thing to really keep an eye out for is used clecos. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that bad, but buying the Van's recommended number will set you back $250-300. They'll pop up in the classifieds here from time to time, but they go FAST.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Any thoughts on buying the preview plans set? I assume there was no harm in looking at what I am getting myself into! Any other first time builder advice?

Thanks again for all of the replies!

-Tony

Last edited by AlphaSierra85 : 09-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure Van's won't let you order any kits unless you've already gotten the preview plans, so you might as well go ahead and get them. I ordered mine sometime last year, about nine months before I ordered the actual kit, and for sort of the same reason that you did: to see what I was getting myself into.

The first night after I got them, I paged through and, after about half an hour or so, I stuck them on a shelf and went to bed with a bit of a sense of "what in the world have I gotten myself into?" But when I looked back at them a few days later, it all started to come together; now that I was past that initial semi-overwhelming moment, I could look at drawings and start to see what parts were what and how it all fit together.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Now I know what you mean when you said" What did I get myself into!?" I just got the preview plans. I am working on straightening out my garage so I can have a good space to work. I am thinking about attending the EAA sheetmetal basics class. Any other books or learning material to consider?

Thanks again for all of the replies!

-Tony
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM

I did the EAA sheetmetal class and thought it was worth its weight in gold. Which is to say that I highly recommend it.

Here's the writeup I did on the workshop I attended: http://rv.squawk1200.net/2011/12/28/...-eaa-sportair/
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Default RV8 Build Site

Experienced builder started this -8 last Jan, shows how quickly one can go together , now on fuselage.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...t=build+begins

RV-7a 707DD Bot from David Domeier 12/01/11
Lycoming IO-360 Catto 3 blade Panel upgrade in progress

RV6a 18XP 1st flite 03/21/07 sold to Dale Walter 10/22/2011
Superior IO-360, Hartzell Blended, GRT/Dynon

Happily "autopaying" DR

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Mark Twain