-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:53 PM

I followed the advice on the grease fitting a couple of years ago. Great idea! Now I dont have to pull the nosewheel every annual. Like Jim, I was surprised how much grease I pumped before it was full.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:42 PM

Default Tolerance?

What is the acceptable tolerance between the top straight section and the bottom straight section?

My replacement nose leg is bent one degree forward.

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN
Old 04-05-2021, 09:02 PM

I believe the thread you referenced is for a different problem that can be fixed in the field. The issue identified in posts #6 and #11 is the bends do not appear to result in parallel planes. I have not seen a number on an acceptable caster angle for the RV-12 nose gear that would result in asking Van's for a replacement part. I am fairly certain they would not recommend bending the gear leg tubing in the field to make the upper and lower sections parallel, but you never know. Caster angle has an effect on steering stability, only Van's can answer the angle vs breakout force design point.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 04-06-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
Great tip. I haven't started my gear yet, so I will incorporate this as I go. Or will that jeopardize my E-LSA cert?
I am also building under E-LSA. As I understand it, your product must be exactly the same as the S-LSA (factory built) product. If it is not (and they notice), youd have to go E-AB. Any deviation from the plans would be considered a modification away from the original spec. Id wait until after getting the Airworthiness Cert., after that you can modify, since its still an experimental.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett H View Post
What is the acceptable tolerance between the top straight section and the bottom straight section?

My replacement nose leg is bent one degree forward.

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN
Hey Brett, hopefully 1 degree won't be an issue. Please let us know what Van's says so the rest of us that are waiting for the part will know. Once the weight of the aircraft is sitting on the nose gear leg, maybe there will be a slight flex aft that might cancel out the 1 degree forward angle?? If not, maybe a hard landing or two will.. (JUST KIDDING)
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Hawkins Field (35TT ) Godley, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD
EAA #1409566 / AOPA Member
Private Pilot since '79!
Retired LEO - Served 28 years
Honorably Discharged USNR - MA2
PADI Master Scuba Instructor / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Technician (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED