- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:05 PM

Unhappy ARRRG! From 14 weeks to 24

Ordered my wings on November 5th with an estimated crate date of February 8th. The 8th came and went with no word so two weeks ago I asked for an update and was told they were waiting on wing spars but it should be soon. Today I'm told , sorry but it will be at least another month.

I'm retired and my wife is not and she is working from home.

I think she may be ready to go back to the office.....
N488ZC reserved
Old 03-17-2021, 06:26 AM

Uh oh, that might affect me also. I’ve been given a July crating date.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:19 AM

I would say something is bit off the mark in Vanís schedule/shipping departments. I ordered new engine mount WD-1220 a week ago Monday and specifically asked if it was in stock. Answer wasÖ it doesnít look like itís on back order. I took that to mean itís in stock so I placed the order.

I kept checking email for tracking number and online credit card statement for Vanís charge. After a couple of days, I called again and order dept transferred my call to the shipping department. It was then that I got the bad news Ė qty 68pcs on BO and not due into Vanís until mid-May.

Seems to me that a new system is in order to keep customers better informed. Maybe similar to Amazon where you get confirming email w/ order number and expected ship date. This would save a lot of phone calls back/forth.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 650

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 AM

Have you caught any of the posts from Van's on the web page about the problems they have been dealing with? Generally things run pretty smoothly, but they have been dealing with some challenging circumstances for the last year. Maybe you just haven't heard?

That said, I think we have all noticed the impact and it's concerning. It seems like a tough situation for any company to navigate. The reality is that what we builders experience as delays for individual hobby projects, is a sustained disruption to business and revenue. No matter how well they have their stuff together, it seems like a tough haul.

Anyway, I have been taking advantage of the delay on my finish kit to make progress on less selfish ventures around the house and family. I've had about enough of that and I'm making my way back to finishing up the fuse shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I would say something is bit off the mark in Vanís schedule/shipping departments. I ordered new engine mount WD-1220 a week ago Monday and specifically asked if it was in stock. Answer wasÖ it doesnít look like itís on back order. I took that to mean itís in stock so I placed the order.

I kept checking email for tracking number and online credit card statement for Vanís charge. After a couple of days, I called again and order dept transferred my call to the shipping department. It was then that I got the bad news Ė qty 68pcs on BO and not due into Vanís until mid-May.

Seems to me that a new system is in order to keep customers better informed. Maybe similar to Amazon where you get confirming email w/ order number and expected ship date. This would save a lot of phone calls back/forth.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:55 AM

Smile

Well the good news is that my fuselage was scheduled to crate on March 3rd and so I asked Vans if it could be shipped since the wings were delayed. They said they thought they could get that out soon.

Got my fingers crossed.
N488ZC reserved
Old 03-17-2021, 02:08 PM

I know it is frustrating but many businesses are dealing with supply chain problems. This Pandemic has affected my business, and I am afraid we may be dealing with supply issues for quite some time before things get straightened out.

So we are all going to need to be patient, I am sure Van's is dealing with it the best they can. I know we are in our business and it is frustrating for everyone.
RV-12 Flying
Old 03-17-2021, 04:15 PM

Right. Pandemic is a start for the setbacks. Now add business interruptions for wildfires, freezing storms, and power outages for several days at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printbr View Post
I know it is frustrating but many businesses are dealing with supply chain problems. This Pandemic has affected my business, and I am afraid we may be dealing with supply issues for quite some time before things get straightened out.

So we are all going to need to be patient, I am sure Van's is dealing with it the best they can. I know we are in our business and it is frustrating for everyone.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DAV8R View Post
Right. Pandemic is a start for the setbacks. Now add business interruptions for wildfires, freezing storms, and power outages for several days at a time.
And a big uptick in orders and it has been a tough year for Van's
RV-12 Flying
Old 03-18-2021, 01:34 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by printbr View Post
And a big uptick in orders and it has been a tough year for Van's
And as someone who tries to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Van’s - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Our kit companies are not Amazon - you can give them slack, or not, but not doing so isn’t going to increase their production anyway- no matter how much they want to do so!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 03-20-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
And as someone who ties to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Vanís - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Our kit companies are not Amazon - you can give them slack, or not, but not doing so isnít going to increase their production anyway- no matter how much they want to do so!

Paul
I agree Paul, but we as customers were are allowed to expect a certain level of customer service. A lot of the complaints are due to a lack of COMMUNICATION and in my opinion only, that should be one of the easier things take care of. If a company has supply chain problems and doesn't have product, then so be it... But picking up a phone and making a phone call to customers shouldn't be that hard! And I will openly state at this time, Van's and I are all good right now, but again, COMMUNICATION IS KEY!
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Hawkins Field (35TT ) Godley, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD
EAA #1409566 / AOPA Member
Private Pilot since '79!
Retired LEO - Served 28 years
Honorably Discharged USNR - MA2
PADI Master Scuba Instructor / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Technician (PT Retirement Job)

ďIf you can walk away from a landing, itís a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, itís an outstanding landing.Ē Ė Chuck Yeager

DONATED