What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv6-a panel size

pylotttt

I am updating my panel and am wondering how much variation is there in panel widths? I would think they should all be very similar. Do places that cut panels have standard sizes or is every panel need to be custom fitted?

The drawings show that it is 40.16" along the bottom edge and 10 17/32 high.
I downloaded a file that is supposed to be actual size and it says it is 12" x 42". I know some have added an inch or 2 to the height but what about the width? Mine is 10 17/32" high but looks to be just over 41" wide at the cutout which isn't even the widest part.

Cut by builder

The original blank panel that Vans supplied is a rectangular sheet with a bent flange and is marked in felt pen for the builder to cut the curved outline. Therefore the final width and height will be whatever the builder did, and I expect that individual widths may vary by 1/4 inch or so.

The attached photo shows what Vans supplied, it is 42 inches wide by 11 inches high and the flange is 1 inch, sheet thickness .063 I think.

Attachments

• 20201119_084055.jpg
    20201119_084055.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
You can use the old panel to size the new one at least for the height and width. The blank from Van’s will be a bit larger than needed and will need to be cut. The screw holes for attaching the panel can be used depending what new equipment you plan to install. Not difficult to lay out but it does take some planning. Good luck and enjoy.

I realize I can use the original panel but my plan was to have the new panel made with all boxes ready to go before tearing into the old one.

I realize I can use the original panel but my plan was to have the new panel made with all boxes ready to go before tearing into the old one.

That is understandable but the difficulty with the older models is that they are hand made so there will be minor variations from airplane to airplane. One way to deal with this is to make the new panel slightly oversize around the cut edges and then trim to final size at the time of fitting. There is a CAD model of the panel blank on Vans website if you don't already have it, so you can at least do all of the internal layout and cutting before pulling out the old panel.

It might work out more satisfactorily if you make the new panel slightly oversize and then trim to fit when you get the old one off the plane and emptied. It's hard to trim an undersize part larger, you see.

Don't make the mistake of reversing or flipping the old panel. You want then in the same relative positions. Perhaps you'll clamp the bottom flanges to a board and then use a small square to guide the line you'll draw. Not hard, just make sure that you've got it right to right and up to up and not rotated with respect to each other.

Dave

I've done 3 RV6 panels & found the top curve to be different on each one. The process I used is to trace a paper template of the old panel (in place with instruments removed temporarily) & transfer to a new blank. Followed by trial fittings, or you could make a bit oversize (1/16") knowing there will be filing involved on final fit.
Now, if it was a tip up canopy, no problem, standard shape, straight forward other than slight variances in the bottom outboard corners.

Last edited:
I have a CAD file for my 6A Slider. Email me if you want it. It won't be perfect, but a start. You can verify measurements on your aircraft and adjust as needed.

RV6 panel size

I have a new panel slab I am going to re-panel my 6. I just checked the vertical and I can tell you with my 2001 bird it can be no taller than the plans call for. I checked and a rivet on the support bar on the canopy frame just barely hits the top of the panel angle frame. If you plot it out per plans you'll be fine.
I intend to make my new panel blank as per drawings so the canopy will actually close down on it.
You can't make it bigger and trim later because it needs the 3/4 x 3/4 angle riveted on to the top.
What you can do is put a leg chopper on the bottom as my current panel has.
The builder added 1 1/4" angle on the bottom for switches.
I'm rather tall and it is a challenge to get in and out. Plus I do not like the sharper edge in from of my knees.
The factory panel has the rolled edge and isn't going to cut in so bad in a forced landing only God knows where.
My three cents. Art

Last edited:
I have a new panel slab I am going to re-panel my 6. I just checked the vertical and I can tell you with my 2001 bird it can be no taller than the plans call for. I checked and a rivet on the support bar on the canopy frame just barely hits the top of the panel angle frame. If you plot it out per plans you'll be fine.
I intend to make my new panel blank as per drawings so the canopy will actually close down on it.
You can't make it bigger and trim later because it needs the 3/4 x 3/4 angle riveted on to the top.
What you can do is put a leg chopper on the bottom as my current panel has.
The builder added 1 1/4" angle on the bottom for switches.
I'm rather tall and it is a challenge to get in and out. Plus I do not like the sharper edge in from of my knees.
The factory panel has the rolled edge and isn't going to cut in so bad in a forced landing only God knows where.
My three cents. Art

You should note you are talking tip up canopy. A different cat if it is a slider...

Back