What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tinted Canopy

Jetmart

Well Known Member
I am looking for those who have them or who have flown with the dark tinted canopy. I'm not talking the UV canopy.

From those who have them how are they flying at night?
Would you do it again if you could do over?

I have heard from lots that don't have them that I should not go this route.

Glen,
When I built my Tailwind, I first used a clear lexan windshield and then needed to change it to a thicker plexi piece and thought as long as I am changing, I would go tinted. It is not a real dark tint but enough of a tint that I don't like to fly it at night. It is like driving at night with your sunglasses on. I would NOT do it again. I will probably be changing it back to clear.

Keith

The standard kit supplied canopy for all RV models is tinted to the max. amount allowed for night flight in certificated aircraft.

Our RV-3 has what most consider to be a fairly dark tinted canopy (from Todd’s), and I haven’t noticed any issues with it at night. Might just be me, but in night flying, the sky and ground are dark and all I see are things that are lighted anyway, and they show up fine.

Formation Flying

A side data point: If you plan to fly formation as either a lead or wingman, well-tinted canopies make it difficult for other flight members to see your hand signals (if you're leading) and head nods (if you're a wingie).

On my 14 I ordered the "medium tint" option from Vans. Don't know if I could get it darker. No daytime sunburn or any issues at all; much cooler here in S. Louisiana (if that is possible). At night can't tell a difference.

On my 14 I ordered the "medium tint" option from Vans. Don't know if I could get it darker. No daytime sunburn or any issues at all; much cooler here in S. Louisiana (if that is possible). At night can't tell a difference.

Any chance you would have a picture and a part number?

No part number; I read about it here and just called them.
A pic won't show the tint too well. It is subtle

I plan to take my canopy down to the local car window tinting shop and have the darkest tint they have applied to the overhead where the Koger shade would normally be. My new to me already flying RV9A didn't have a Koger shade. If I end up not liking it I will just peel it off. I don't plan to do formation flying so what's the pros and cons of this?
george

I plan to take my canopy down to the local car window tinting shop and have the darkest tint they have applied to the overhead where the Koger shade would normally be. My new to me already flying RV9A didn't have a Koger shade. If I end up not liking it I will just peel it off. I don't plan to do formation flying so what's the pros and cons of this?
george

I bought some static-cling tint from Wal-Mart. For me, I just use cut squares placed where I need it. It may work well for your application as well. I worry about the adhesive tint damaging the canopy.

Local pickup

Glen
just a quick note that Vans has their canopies dropped / made by a company in Ohio , not sure of the name but a local builder had to replace his slider and he didn?t have to get it shipped from Oregon !

george

I just checked with my local window tint installer and he said that the typical window tinting material used for glass will not work on our canopy's. He mentioned to use the static cling stuff used for homes.
george

george

My brother owns an industrial window tinting business and he checked with his suppliers to see if there was a compatibility issue with applying tint to our canopies.

All of his vendors said not to do it as it could cause long term degradation to the plexiglass.

pics

I believe the darker tint is part number 2514. Van's can verify. I have the darker tint and have not flown with it yet. I can't imagine it being a real problem with night flight. The darkness of the canopy really changes with light conditions when viewing from the outside. I like it!

Pics: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Sean

I believe the darker tint is part number 2514. Van's can verify. I have the darker tint and have not flown with it yet. I can't imagine it being a real problem with night flight. The darkness of the canopy really changes with light conditions when viewing from the outside. I like it!

Pics: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Sean

I can't imagine why the tint would be a problem at night either. However those who chose not to go with the tint will tell you it is an issue. It is no darker than factory tinted side windows in a car.

Any idea why the tined canopy is cheaper than the UV? Does the tined canopy offer any UV protection?

Back