What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans manual

dareha

I just ordered my plans for a 9A and like most new builders I am wanting to know it all with hopes of not making a mistake. I love this forum and donate to it. I often read that Van's recommends this or that. Is there a place or manual where a person can go to read all about these recommendations?
Thank you
Darrell Haas

Last edited:
Tips

I just ordered my plans for a 9A and like most new builders I am wanting to know it all with hopes of not making a mistake. I love this forum and donate to it. I often read that Van's recommends this or that. Is there a place or manual where a person can go to read all about these recommendations?
Thank you
Darrell Haas

Welcome.
If Vans recommends something, it should be in your manual. The trick is all the great tips other builders developed. Run a search before starting any tricky step. Buy the CD.

"with hopes of not making a mistake"

I understand the reason you say this and I felt the same, but I haven't seen a perfect airplane yet - they all have minor issues. Get educated, make sure you do your best work possible and gets lots of eyeballs on your project (Tech Counselors). Just prevent analysis paralysis. Start moving and know that there is a fix for everything. It'll fly beautifully and you'll get many years of enjoyment.

Thank you
Darrell Haas

Darrel,
The emount of information on how to build is overwhelming. Don't get caught in "recommendations". Life is short, just get the kit and follow Vans manual if you want to fly in three years. If you hit a stubling block come here and search or just ask... if you make a mistake correct it...

Darrel,
The emount of information on how to build is overwhelming. Don't get caught in "recommendations". Life is short, just get the kit and follow Vans manual if you want to fly in three years. If you hit a stubling block come here and search or just ask... if you make a mistake correct it...

I second this. As you build, you will learn, just like all of us did. Trust, but verify everything you hear/read, and make your own decisions. Also, I second Dave's suggestion. Vans provides a wealth on information along with the kit, including the plans themselves. They start off with quite a bit of hand-holding, that eventually tapers off.

Van's does a pretty good job in their manuals. Having said that, Van's is not good about updating their old plans to take advantage of (sometimes clearly) better, simpler ways of doing things. They seem to update plans only if there is a serious mistake. Thus, you're smart to ask questions and search the forums here for whatever part you happen to be fabricating or assembling at the time. Just don't stress out about it too much. Just build, make mistakes, and after fixing them, move on.

Here though are two suggestions to get you started that have a pretty long lineage in the forums:

1. Build the VS before the HS. The VS is much simpler, fewer parts, easier access and helps build your confidence. Those nose ribs on the HS are not for the newbie and the attach angles are not simple either.

2. Related, before cutting the HS attach angles to final size, drill/match drill the 9 holes holes on the vertical face of the angle. This will give you the best chance of getting all the holes drilled with proper edge distance. It took me and many other builders a couple attempts (and probably an extra ordered piece of AA) to get it right.

In general, while there are gotcha's that will be hard to find in advance, Van's produces a great product with good instructions, so you'll be flying before you know it.

Good luck.

Don't think for a second that any builders have built an RV "mistake free"! You will make mistakes (and learn from them).

I heartily second the advice above. Use the Search feature here (and on Google) before you start any new part of the build that isn't completely straightforward. Ask lots of questions here, then be prepared to cherry pick the answers and advice you get to what you want to do. Sticking close to the plans will speed up the build, since every deviation or customization will take lots of time, energy and $$$. Read lots and lots of builder's logs before each new section to get your references and you will find lots of potential gotcha's exposed. And finally, just concentrate on one thing at a time and don't worry about everything up front or you'll never finish. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Get started!

1. Build the VS before the HS. The VS is much simpler, fewer parts, easier access and helps build your confidence. Those nose ribs on the HS are not for the newbie and the attach angles are not simple either.

2. Related, before cutting the HS attach angles to final size, drill/match drill the 9 holes holes on the vertical face of the angle. This will give you the best chance of getting all the holes drilled with proper edge distance. It took me and many other builders a couple attempts (and probably an extra ordered piece of AA) to get it right.

Great tips, Steve, especially drilling the holes first in the attach angles! I finally figured that out after making way too many extra parts!

Darell,
Email me with your address and I will let you borrow a couple building DVD's you may want to watch. Have fun and if you get over to the Caldwell area, stop on by.

Back