What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430W Training?

9erDriver

Well Known Member
I'm now beginning an IFR panel upgrade that includes a new Garmin 430W. My intent is to do the training and earn my IFR ticket in my RV9A.

Q: any advice on self-study course for the 430W? I know King offers one for $250, quite a bit (but not so much when compared with the 430W investment). Any other ideas for self study 430 training?

I'm currently spending quality time with Martha and John and their instrument ground course, and also used King course for my private, so I'm familiar with their program. Just wondering what else might be out there...

Several Approachs ,.....

The manual that comes with it is great, use the pilots guide. :cool:

Friends with manuals to borrow are great, use the pilots guide. :rolleyes:

Friends with manuals with hooked up 430s are even better, use the pilots guide. :eek:

Friends with flying 430,...... priceless ;)

Bill S
7a GRT /430w

430W training

It's not very hard at all. Your instructor will teach you to use it... just read the book and use the simulator.

I have to say I was really disappointed with the simulator when learning the 430. The King video was helpful, but probably not worth $250. For me the bigger issue is staying current on it when I don't fly much. I forget how to use the darn thing. I'll be interested in what I might learn from this thread.

I am planning a panel upgrade, and the $500 rebate made me get into gear. I am kinda lucky in that our EAA chapter has an Elite simulator, and we added the 430 to it this year. We rent our simulator at $15/hr (after some free get-acquainted time) so if any of you guys want to keep up on your IFR currency, or learn the 430, you can do it at OVO (North Vernon, Indiana.) I don't know what the instructor charges, but I know he charges $30/hr in the air. Probably the same. We have both the single engine and twin setups. A good deal, and it helps Chapter 1328. We have people coming from about 100 miles to use it.

Bob Kelly

Back