What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Dulles (IAD) to see the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie

Well Known Member
For you DC area flyers: Tuppergal and I (and the Zilik's) plan to spend a day at the NASM at Dulles the first week of May. Is Dulles "GA friendly" or am I better off landing Manassas? :confused: Rosie

PS: My college roommate lives equal distance from either Dulles or Manassas so will not be considering other airports :)

Last edited:
We visited the facility last year

All the aero press makes it sound like things are getting much more awkward there. We landed at Martin State north of Baltimore and that worked well but we were staying for around a week. Good luck.

Bob Axsom

I've flown VFR into Dulles several times in the past several years (the last time was around a year ago), and I've never had any problems getting into or out of the aiport. I've always gone to Signature there, which is a very nice FBO. I seem to recall them having a shuttle service to the Smithsonian as well, but you may want to check on that.

My only warning for Signature...the FBO is somewhat geared for NetJets and other jet traffic, so please be careful. The last time I flew in I was in a Cessna 310 and I think I won the "smallest airplane" award that day :)

Leesburg

Try Leesburg, VA (KJYO). It's about 9 nm NW of Dulles and an easy drive. 90% GA traffic; much more RV friendly.

Mike

I work with a guy who says he did his primary flight-training at Dulles. That was likely some time ago. (I can't imagine that...)

While you're at the Udvar-Hazy facility check out the Bogardus 'Little Gee Bee', restored by EAA Chapter 105 and donated to them. Just went on display.

Benton 9mar09

Tell Russ I said 'Hi.'

Last edited:
IAD

I fly into Dulles a couple times a month and usually go to Signature, often there is a bonanza or cirrus or similar type parked there. Never been there in a light single myself but don't see any real reason not to. You might consider going in at a off peak time and really studying the ADIZ procedures. The museum is awsome. Don B

IAD

Rosie,
I have a very good friend (prior instrument student) who is a controller at IAD. I believe he could answer any question you might have about flying in there.
Howard

NASM

Rosie,

I live right down the street, more or less, from Dulles and might be able to help. I sent you a private message.

Park At the Museum?

Paul:

A few years ago I asked a staffer at Udvar Hazy if it would be possible to park near the museum if I flew in, and he said yes. Maybe you should give them a call. Nothing tried, nothing gained.

How cool would it be to have your RV parked in close proximity to all those historic aircraft!

IAD

Rosie, you need to complete the training for the ADIZ. Print the Certificate and keep it with you. It takes a few moments to complete.
http://faasafety.gov/

See you at OSH
Tad "Stripes" Sargent
FFI Wingman

Just finished the training course Stripes, Thanks! Rosie
SFRA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Others to consider

Paul, here's some other area airports to consider:

Frederick, MD (FDK) - AOPA's HQ is on the field, rental cars available,
restaurant on the field, outside the ADIZ to the NE
(but not far... study charts carefully), about an hour's
drive to the museum. Busy, with gliders, students, biz jets,
and helicopter training at the airport. Head on a swivel!

Winchester, VA (OKV) - very friendly FBO, also (well) outside the ADIZ to the
west, probably about an hour drive to the museum.

Martinsburg, WV (MRB) - towered, outside the ADIZ to the
NW, probably about 1.5 hours out by car. It's also a WV
Air National Guard base, with C-130's and C-5's on the field

Leesburg, VA (JYO) - Underneath the ADIZ footprint, but there's
a special section in the ADIZ procedure that addresses in/out
procedures. Probably about 45 minutes by car from the museum.

Car parking at the museum is $12, but admission is free. Also consider
going to the original museum in downtown DC - still lots of cool stuff
there. There are shuttles from IAD that connect with the metro
(subway) into downtown DC.

Flying into IAD and parking at the museum would be
_very_ cool, though :)

PM me if you'd like more info.

P.S. If you're going to fly into the ADIZ, make sure you really
understand it... TSA has no sense of humor for violators
and violations make life harder for us locals. It's not that
hard or complex, just a bit different for most folks if they haven't
experienced it. Attaboy on taking the training.

-dpp

I just moved to VA and have been considering doing this myself....the comments I read on Airnav and AOPA about Dulles were all positive. I think it is pretty common.

Please post your experience.

In my day job, flying corporate aircraft, Signature has been the FBO that everyone loved to hate, with high ramp fees and higher, outrageous fuel prices. Lately, they've figured out that they need to compete and have turned over a new leaf. Most that I've encountered lately are more customer service oriented with some locations advertising fuel that's the "cheapest on the field." Hopefully, the Dulles location is with the new program.

As far as operating in the ADIZ, I've found that if you are operating VFR, having a GPS is crucial to staying out of trouble. A current Baltimore-Washington TAC isn't good enough for me to pinpoint my location. If you go in IFR, it's like the red carpet is rolled out for you, which is great, but has caused me to accept some rather circuitous routing. There's no directive to "remain clear of the Class B". Speaking of the Class B, last weekend, I requested and was granted clearance through the Class B while operating VFR. Potomac Approach was more cooperative than they appear to be at first blush.

I haven't been bitten by the ADIZ rules, but it seems the biggest cause for violations is squawking 1200 or having your transponder on standby, so I have come to just leave it on ALL the time. There's a greater penalty to be paid if you're not squawking the correct code when you should be versus squawking when you don't need to be.

...There's a greater penalty to be paid if you're not squawking the correct code when you should be versus squawking when you don't need to be.
We who have transponders are obliged by rule to squawk all the time we are in controlled airspace (that is virtually all the time).

(c) Transponder-on operation. While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with Sec. 91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC. (from far 91.215)

Last edited:
We who have transponders are obliged by rule to squawk all the time we are in controlled airspace (that is virtually all the time).

[/B]

Except when you're on the ground.

My procedures of keeping it on ALL the time includes ground operations. First, because it helps avoid not turning it on prior to takeoff, and Second, because many larger airports, Memphis comes to mind, and others, use it to keep track of aircraft on the ground.

Easy Decision

Pick Manassas. Fuel there is $2/gal less and probably a lot less in ramp, parking, and overnight fees. Flying to and being able to park at Udvar Hazey would be exciting but probably best as a day trip flight out of Manassas. If anyone finds out if that is possible let us know. Sounds like your friend is providing the transportation so be sure he takes you down town or at least to the Metro so you can also visit the Air & Space Museum in DC and be sure you have enough time for an IMAX movie (Fighter Pilot) while you are there.

No Longer an ADIZ now a SFRA

Living under and operating in / out of the new Washington (DC) SFRA (f/k/a ADIZ) for the past 8 years, I recommend that extreme care be taken in your planning. First, if you fly within 30 nm of the SFRA, you must have taken the FAA SFRA mandatory course referred to in a previous message.

If you want to avoid filing IFR, the closest "almost" VFR airport is Lessburg, VA - KJYO. I say almost VFR because you must file a SFRA flight plan from one of the entry fixes (JASEN or LUCKE) and squawk 1227 in-bound (or 1226 outbound from the airport) from the fix to KJYO. If you have filed and squawk properly there is no need to talk to ATC.

Leesburg is really only about 20 mins. from your museum destination (depending on whether you take the toll road or the regular road) and is very GA / RV friendly. Do not fail to comply with the FAA (TSA / DHS) requirements, however, as many people have had license suspensions and other bad things happen.

Send me a PM if you would like more information.

Thanks for the replies though I was not looking for what was required or all the bad things that could happen flying into the DC area. Rosie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back