What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

right side brakes

Daver

Well Known Member
I'm about to order my fuselage kit (RV9A, tipup) and I think I want the right side brake option.

I'm thinking that no CFI will ride in the right seat for your BFR unless he has full controls. This of course, assumes that you can find a CFI that's OK with instructing in an experimental AC.

Am I correct in this?

If so, the right side brakes will pay for themselves on the first BFR (as opposed to having to rent a plane for this).

Thanks!:)

Dave

My Mooney doesn't have them, and I never had an issue with 3 different instructors. I guess it's all in who you pick.

Good luck.

Unlikely that you will need them for a BFR. I got them because my wife also flies and will be set up for her. If you ever have anyone else who might fly the plane, it is worth having a full set of controls on the right. Adds minimal weight. The alternative viewpoint is that maybe you don't want someone else accidentally messing with the brakes while you are trying to taxi...

greg

Dave,

You didn't say if you are building a NW or TW. NW it would be no big deal. TW, put them in. They are easy enough to install and if you or anyone else wants TW instruction, you are going to need them.

As I've been wondering this issue as well so anyone has put an another level to engage another side off? I understand that there are more possible leak places as well risk that the lever is in a wrong position -- that's another story.

It is a small cost (money and weight) and easy to install now. I will recommand it. Luck me I have no leaks. During takeoffs and landings I ask my passenger to put his/her feet on the floor. With or without brake you don't want them to push on the paddle.

It comes handy when I fly right seat and teach my sons, wife and a few friends to fly. Personally, if I have a chance to be PIC I won't fly a position without full control (including brakes).

I didn't put them in my plane.

I am the only one flying my plane (well takeoff and landing anyway). My wife wants me to be like an airline and here side of the plane is the passanger seating.

I have done one BFR in my plane, no problem finding an instructor. If you are going to need basic instruction in your plane, put them in. But if you can already fly they are not needed.

If I ever change my mind, I can always add them in.

Kent

Thanks!

Thanks guys for all your input.

Being new at this, I really appreciate EVERYBODY'S opinion.

I think I'll save the $185 for right seat brakes for now.

I need to save some money for that $20k engine:eek:

Dave

Back