What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Demographics

Tom Maxwell

Well Known Member
I am curious as to what kind of people build and fly RVs. I wish I could set up an anonymous poll but I don't know how and don't know if we are able to do so. So I will just outright ask.

1) What do you do for a living?

2) If you are willing to share, what is your approximate annual household income? I am not talking about wages and salary as there are numerous non-working ways to generate income. But what do you have actually coming into your household as disposable income?

I will start out. I am a service manager for NCR Corporation. I manage 25 technicians across central and East Texas in servicing POS systems, ATMs, Bank Item Processing equipment, PCs, third party printers, communications equipment such as routers and switches, and just about any other third party equipment that customers throw our way. My wife works as an aide in a grade school library.

Our combined 1040 adjusted gross income for 2004 was $94K.

I will bite,

I am building an RV9a slider, in the garage, I work in a Oil and Gas Refinery in
Corpus Christi, Texas average 110,000 , started project to help me with
getting over a divorce ( I didn't want ) from a 20 year marriage, seems to be working great , I don't have time to think about anything else.. I also have
a computer networking repair service and fix networks and local small to med size business computers. two sons one 18 and 20 , coached little league baseball, football , one off to texas tech, other finnishing high school this year, I don't think he is going further as he is not doing very well drugs ect.. I have every other toy ,custom harley , 2003 corvette, porsche 911 carrera, I can do about anything but pound a decent rivet.. wish I could.. :( started finnish kit yesterday, yes I am broke but not hungry, done everything pretty much alone and by my self..
I hope it flys.. :)

Danny..

I am a mushroom?. They keep me in the dark and feed me bullsh*t. Actually I work nights for a large multinational corporation. Small cog in a big machine type of thing. The wife and I make good money although the RV is largely paid for with income from odd jobs and the like. Not part of the primary budget. The whole aviation plane building thing is new to me. Fault the internet and Popular Mechanics magazine if you will. I am a bit concerned about safety because the guy I was named after was killed by an airplane propeller. I had never met him. So I am going to be a bit conservative and nervous around propellers. I work on the RV when everything else is done. So the RV is coming along slowly.

Warren
http://ahyup.com

This is a great question.

One thing is for sure... the next RV builder that I find that is a complete @$$hole, will be the first one!

I haven't found a builder that I DIDN'T like. What a great bunch of people!

Anywhoooo, I am a teacher and my wife is a teacher. We are as poor as church mice!

In the past, I had my own technology/electrical business. I did well enough to allow me to teach for a living now at the ripe old age of 38.

If I didn't make good decisions back then, I couldn't afford to do this. Some decisions could have been better... like STARTING THE RV SOONER!!!

:D CJ

Its a Small World After All....Its a Small World After All

Captain_John said:
Anywhoooo, I am a teacher and my wife is a teacher. We are as poor as church mice!

In the past, I had my own technology/electrical business. I did well enough to allow me to teach for a living now at the ripe old age of 38.
:D CJ

Wow John, this sounds a lot like my story, although I am considerably more mature than you are :) . At this very moment I am contemplating leaving 25 years in the corporate rat race and going into teaching via the Texas alternative certification program. What prompted you to go into teaching and how do you like it?

As you say, teaching money isn't that great, but both of my kids are out of college and have good jobs and I was fortunate to have started saving early. We have lived below our means for our entire lives so we have a decent nestegg saved up.

Around Houston first year teachers start out at about $38K. But the job is steady as they predict Texas will need 80K new teachers by 2008. I don't know about "poor as churchmice," this is a relative thing, but it certainly isn't getting rich. I worry about this quite a bit as between my wife's salary and a first year teacher salary we would only be making about $60K a year. I don't know if this can adequately support building and flying an RV or not.

On the other hand I am thinking along the same lines as you are that now that the kids are gone, my cars are paid off (I drive a 92 Ford Explorer at 150K) and we have absolutely 0 debt, we should be able to live on $60K a year. Then I can work during the summer or do other jobs on the side to earn the airplane money. Being the fiscal conservative that I am (tightarse in my wife's terms) I am pretty cautious about big expenditures. I am just about ready to say, "The He!! With It" and jump in. The worst that can happen is that I don't finish the plane or I can't afford to keep it after I finish it.

This is primarily the reason for this post. I know that people are generally conservative about talking about how much they make. I appreciate the openness of those who have posted. It gives me some idea of just who are building RVs and what kind of income string is necessary to support the hobby. I realize everyone's situation is different and there may be folks who make little income but have inherited millions or have won the lottery. On the other hand there may be others who who are so passionate about building and flying that they have made great sacrifices and are able to do so in spite of a modest income.

Thanks for the response!

Now let's see:

Cancel satellite TV
Cancel telephone service and use only the cell phone.
Drop full cov. on "old blue" and go with just liability and uninsured motorist.
Drop DSL and go with a high speed dial up service.
Drop AOL and go with a cheaper ISP.
Maybe get rid of "old blue" and go with just 1 vehicle.
Have a garage and attic sale.
Eat out once a week instead of 3 or 4 times.
Rent a movie now and then instead of going to the theater ($10 popcorn)
No more trips for momma to get her nails done-don't laugh I do nails very well
Cut down on the junk food and eat less in general-I need to do this anyway
More modest Christmas and Birthday gifts.
Take a couple of weekend vacations verses extended high priced vacations
Cut out Sun-N-Fun and Airventure --- On second thought --- Naaaa!
Sell the wife into slavery -- Well maybe not!
Get a second job during teaching holidays and summer periods.
Say "The He!! With It" and blow the kid's enheritance on a plane.

In general, get out of the rat race and enjoy life more with less! Grow old with the Mrs rocking on the porch errr on the hanger apron.

I guess it all boils down to how badly one wants to build and fly and how much sacrifice one is willing to make.

Thanks again for your input!

Yes, the teacher's salary is modest... but I am resourceful and make or build most everything I need. Case in point, the house I live in and the garage I am building the plane in. I also maintain my vehicles and everything else on my own. I never call anyone to do anything. I do it all myself. This stretches the salary ALOT!

After closing my own business, I took a couple of jobs here and there as Account Executive/Project Manager roles. I got interested in teaching while laid off from a tech job. My wife said, check out the tech school down the street. I volunteered for a few months and kinda liked it. I have been there for 2 years now and the scene has been set.

Teachers are in a high demand now. Especially Technology Teachers! The Massachusetts Department of Ed. isn't making it any easier to become a teacher either.The standards are being raised to a level that will SIGNIFICANTLY thin the potential pool of candidates!

I see the RV as my way of allowing me to fly a modern, high tech plane at a reasonable cost, all-the-while letting me tinker and improve the small items that need maintenance and modifications.

;) CJ

...also the kids get a kick out of telling people their teacher is BUILDING AN AIRPLANE!

:p

I am also getting together with our local EAA Chapter and organizing a Young Eagles thing for this summer. The kids are ALL OVER IT!

;) CJ

Good Luck To You

Awesome! I can tell that you are at a point in your life at which you seek enjoyment and gratification through others rather than through your own direct accomplishments.

I guess the teacher shortage is occurring all over and yes the qualificiations are getting more stringent, which I think is a good thing. There is some resentment here in Texas by traditional teachers but the handwriting is on the wall. The school systems need teachers period, and in my opinion those who have real world experience in their field of expertise are just the people to step in and fill the vacancies. When I hear a traditional teacher complain about the "unqualified" teachers, I just smile and ask them where the school system would be without the non-traditional teachers. 80,000 teachers by year 2008 is a lot and that is just here in Texas. I know that the school district we live in (one of the fastest growing districts in Texas) is building new schools at the rate of 4-5 a year. 20 years ago we had 3 high schools in our district, now we have 7. The grade school that my wife works at is losing about 20% of their teachers this year to retirement and movement to new schools. This equates to about 20 teaching positions in this one school alone that will need to be filled. I think the opportunity is there for people to make a difference if they can afford to work for the salaries offered and they want to teach.

Good luck to you and let me know how your young-eagles program goes. You should definitely not have a shortage of candidates.

I'm a systems and network administrator for a local newspaper. I'm the sole breadwinnder in the family and my income is substantially less than yours. :)

The survey says: . . . .

Sounds like we have a fairly good cross-section of America here. Let me throw in my two-cents worth. I have been in the cable television and satellite communications industry since 1971. I have dealt with broadband communications over coaxial cable systems and fiber optics, and both C-band and Ku-band uplink and receiving systems up to 11-meters in size in Hawaii, Mexico, India, Japan, and most of our 50 states. Back in the 1980's, I was a technical supervisor of a team of guys that wired 40 television stations with new satellite receiving systems in the summer before the fall premier of syndicated Paramount show "Entertainment Tonight". We also wired up all the pumping stations along the Alaskan Pipeline with satellite entertainment for the employees. I have worked for large and small companies alike.

I was working for a high-technology company based in the Boston area when I went to the 2002 Airventure to select which Van's Aircraft model I would build for myself. I no sooner got home from OSH, than I got laid off from that $100k/year job that took me to Portugal three times earlier that spring. I got my previous job back the next day with a $10K pay cut, and finally decided I would start the project in the fall of 2002. I bought each of the kits on my Visa credit card with a prime rate, not prime+ some number. That helped as I pushed along. In February 2003, I got laid off again and found another job several weeks later, with another $10K pay cut. That lasted until the end of February 2005, almost two years exactly. I now do some contracting jobs of web publishing to put a few bucks in the till.

My mom passed away peacefully at the age of 79 in April 2004, from a cancer where the treatment would have been worse than the disease. The estate was more than adequate to pay off the entire plane and put me ahead for now. It gives me time to finish the airplane, although I am still doing the computer web work on weekly mornings and working on the RV-9A at the airport in the afternoons/evenings.

I have transition training scheduled with Mike Seager for June 1st & 2nd in Oregon. My Delta Airlines frequent flyer miles will get me there and back for $10 in fees on a first class ticket. If all goes well, I hope to have the airplane ready for airworthiness inspection before heading off to Portland on my birthday, May 31. I will be 58 on that day.

And like many of you, I have seen public service announcements where Tennessee wants industry veterans to become teachers. I have thought about it, but not right now. I have this airplane and it is calling to me to get it flying as a business tool, and for the sheer joy of flying!

As for a new job, IF anyone out there wants a communications engineer with management experience and web publishing experience, please let me know. You will find my email address on my home page below.

UPDATE: August 16, 2007

I just realized how old this thread is! My RV-9A first flew on June 9, 2005. I have been to OSH camping by the airplane in 2005 and 2006. I made it to LOE5, RMRFI Denver in 2006, but no other RV-events. I have been to the Great Lakes, New England, Texas, and Florida several times - including at least THREE different round trips, each time in ONE DAY from Chattanooga to Florida and back. Details about all that stuff is on my web site

I am employed again, but always open to a good offer.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN.
www.n2prise.org
RV-9A 90622, N2PZ, Hobbs = 234.7 hours

Last edited:
Another starving teacher

I'm a professor of mathematics at a local university and teach two nights a week at a nearby community college. I live in a rented house in SoCal right now and hope to perhaps relocate to Austin, TX when the girlfriend completes her graduate studies here so that she can be near her family, and maybe we can actually afford a house. I've been building the RV4 on and off since early '99. Have paid for all of it with cash up til now but will probably borrow for the engine and some of the panel. Last year I made about $70k and the live-in girlfriend made about enough for a tank of Avgas.

Regading costs, I started this project as a way to build an affordable sport plane that could see the country and turn upside down when I want, but I find that many on these lists want much more than that. I plan on a wood prop, VFR panel with a dynon (maybe), RMI engine monitor (definitely) and not much else. I keep seeing guys on here with multiple glass panel systems, custom composite panels, $1000 dollar headsets, ostrich skin interiors (ok, I made that one up), etc. The other day a guy on here asked how to reach a few hard-to-get-at floor platenut rivets. My solution was to use a couple dollars worth of pulled rivets in these few non-structural hidden locations. The responses of several others was to run out and buy an $800 pneumatic squeezer! Another example is the little $40 jig for drilling holes in tubing. A nice tool for A/P's but so unecessary for the one-time builder. I don't want to bad-mouth this approach, but it is exactly the opposite of what I signed on for. My advice for those building with limited cash is to not feel intimidated by the planes with every whiz-bang gadget. I rent a strictly vfr, bare bones decathlon and absolutely love every second of it. My crappy unfinished garage bears no resemblance to NASA, but the plane is coming along beautifully. So far I'm working on the canopy, built real nice fiberglass wheelpant fairings without farming out the work, and even built and stitched my own seats.

Stick with the DIY attitude and grab a bargain when you can, and it will fly.

P.S. I like the idea about sh**canning the full coverage on the old car :)

Demographics

I hope this doesn't bore you but this some of my history.
Mowed lawns 12 to 14. Hung around a marina while doing so and at
15 started running a Tug boat towing logs on Lake PendOreille Idaho.
18 worked in the woods operated a skid cat and then drove a logging
truck. 20 ran a tug boat on construction building railroad bridge. 21 worked
for natural gas pipe line co. 22 bought into the marina were I worked as a
kid and formed a partnership with a fellow who worked there. We sold out and
retired after 32 yes 32 years. He ran the store and sales and I ran the service
end. I did all the wrenching for the first few years learning rebuild engines,
outdrives etc. Heli arc welding of out board parts and boat bottoms, all
useful to build airplanes. My father had a T craft on floats that I grew up
in so flying was like going to the grocery store in a car. Got my instructor
rating while in the Marina business. Built a Sonerai two that I modified and
installed a o-290 GPU 125hp Lyc. in during the mid 70's four year project as
I built if from plans, no kit. Lost my right leg above the knee in 1979 in a plane
accident, low and slow, my fault. Started building the 4 year and half ago that
another person started, installing the canopy now. Found a runout o-320 that
I majored last winter while building the plane. Live on soc. sec. and a few stocks and bonds. total last year 45k. Med. is $675 a month. Live cheap but
able to keep parts coming for the project. Have designed a sturup to hold the
artificial foot on the right pedal and have a motorcycle hydrolic hand brake to put on the stick to brake the right wheel.
Ted

Last edited:
Ted,

You are putting this all into proper perspective. You are overcoming the REAL stuff life throws at you with inventive ideas. And to think, yesterday I was considering how to put a lock on my sliding canopy.

Thanks for turning on the lights. Being out of a job before my scheduled retirement is not the worst thing that could happen to me.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
At the airport, final assembly.

Factory workers like to fly too!

Like many of us, as a child I built countless airplane models (still do), flew gas powered U-Control, "The WhirlyBirds" was my favorite TV show and have always looked skyward towards the sound of an approaching aircraft. Stationed at Barber's Point Hawaii, my first flying lesson over Pearl Harbor in a Piper Colt. The hook was set. As long as I can remember, I dreamed of *someday* building an airplane but after the Navy, like so many others I was diverted by marriage and resumed production factory work at McDonnell-Douglas. Over 3 plus decades, I worked the sheet metal airframes on the F-4, F-15, F-18, AV-8B, C-17, and T-45. It was at MAC that I learned much about sheet metal, its tools and construction methods. In 1988, I bought a tired C-150 from an owner who lost his medical and totally refurbished it still flying it regularly. When I finally committed to building an airplane in 2000, I knew nothing about RV's. I had no idea of the popularity and culture surrounding Van's designs. I simply chose the RV-6A because l thought it looked cool and the performance numbers seemed impressive. I am very fortunate and proud to have retired at age 53. Some time ago, we decided to pursue a debt free pay-as-you-go-lifestyle. That was a huge life altering decision. My wife and I own and drive a late model car and truck (my F-150 cowboy Cadillac sports the MO. license plate RV-6A). All we owe is ongoing monthly utilities, insurance, the cable bill, and the taxman. "Darla", my RV-6A slowbuild was recently awarded her airworthiness certificate, transition training is in the works. I built her to the strict standards expected and required at McDonnell and is fitted with many goodies including a new O-320 with factory Lasar, Garmin 430 suite, and Oregon Aero leather. The locals call her "a piece of jewelry". Hangared alongside my C-150 , there is always something to do at the airport where I spend much of my time. Childless and married for 32 years, my wife Linda is an account executive for a Fortune 500 mortgage finance company and is fortunate to work from her office in our home. Her tools are the telephone, Internet connection, and exceptional talent. She is compensated well.

Last edited:
I'm an airline puke, B-737 copilot... making somewhere around 100K; wife is part time at Home Depot. No kids, so that helps stretch the $. Her car is paid for, mine is getting close; in a few more months it'll be down to a house payment and an RV payment; no credit card debt, yeaa! Since I went the QB route I had to finance a good bit of the bill, but planning on paying it down as fast as I can.

It's just been in the past couple of years that I've earned enough to contemplate owning an airplane, but never really considered an RV, or any homebuilt for that matter. Waay too much work, too complicated, I'd screw it up... but a store bought Spam Can just doesn't appeal. Cherokees or 172s? Nahhh, boring. A Citabria? Fun, you betcha, but slow and handles like a truck. Then I noticed the RV QB kit at OSH a coupla years ago. Bought the info packet, started running the numbers. I figured for the price of a 30 yr old Archer I can have a brand new ship; plus it's light, fast, fun, aerobatic, taildragger, tandem seats, NEW, equipped as I like it, etc. Went to Aurora for a demo ride in the RV-7. Sold! Ordered an RV-8 QB; working on wiring and the panel now.

My plan is to keep it fairly simple, light and cheap. I splurged on a Hartzell C/S prop, but consider that a must have item. Bought a used O-360-A1D and will overhaul it; no autopilot, no multi-screen EFIS systems (just a Dynon), no Garmin 430s or MFDs. A KX-125 nav/com, transponder and hand held GPS will do just fine, thanks. Some guys go for the toys and gadgets, all the shiny whiz bang stuff, but I get enough of that at work, no need to have it on my RV.

So, does anyone else thumb thru Flying magazine and wonder just who in the hell can afford all the stuff advertised in there?? I'm amazed at all the slick, shiny ads for new Beeches, Cirrus', Pilatus', Lears, Falcons, etc. Then there's the avionics ads... they want more for their fancy glass panels than I'll have in my completed RV. I make a fairly decent living, but that stuff is so far out of my reach it's laughable. The readers that Flying caters to, what do they do for a living?? Doctors? Bankers? Lawyers? Spoiled rich kids? Who has that kinda $$? Can't forget Dick Karl, the surgeon/contributing editor to Flying... owns and flies a Cheyenne, plus has a deposit down on a Cessna Mustang jet. Umm, yeah... I can relate to that. NOT! Oh, and Richard Collins needs to retire, IMHO. I think we've heard enough out of him.

John

I gotta agree with John so wholeheartedly regarding Flying magazine. I can't even stand to pick up that rag. I especially like the ads for the Chelton stuff where they talk about tens of thousands of dollars like it's just change jinglin' around in my pocket.

Steve Zicree

szicree said:
I especially like the ads for the Chelton stuff where they talk about tens of thousands of dollars like it's just change jinglin' around in my pocket.

Yep, at this price, it's not about affordabilty anymore. I'd better get two of 'em then, only 25K... no sweat.

You're absolutely right, those Chelton ads are the worst!

I'm a software engineer and my wife is a geographer for the US Gelogical Survey. We live in Georgia and our living costs here are quite a bit less than other parts of the country (one of the big reasons people are migrating here at such a rapid pace) so that helps. We have maxed out 401(k)s and our combined gross adjusted income is in the low six figures. I am 28, my wife is 25 and we have no kids...just a dog and a cat. Here are some of our financial stats & the way we are funding the RV.

0) We started a savings account for the airplane. We are currently putting $600/month in the account and $600 dollars/month in our regular savings account. Our paychecks are direct-deposited into the checking account and the money is sent to the savings accounts by automatic transfer. If our checking account is over a certain amount every month, we split the remainder and put half in regular savings and half in 'airplane savings'. This way, I know that for every dollar that I save each day, half of it goes into the airplane account and I don't have to justify it to my wife. Plus, our regular savings is being built up and the airplane project doesn't interfere.

1) We have a modest house that we paid $168k for three years ago. (5 bedrooms/airplane parts storage rooms, 2.5 baths, 2 stories -- I told you living here was cheap!). Although, most new neighborhoods you're seeing now around here have $500k+ houses in them....our friends are scrambling to be able to buy one of them...but we see no need.....we've gotta fly!

2) We cancelled our cell service and signed up for Virgin Mobile. It's pre-paid service and it's the best that's out there. It's $0.25/minute for the first 10 minutes of any day and $0.10 minutes for every minute after. And your minutes never expire! It sounds expensive...but do the math on your service (on only the minutes you use!) and see how much you pay (taxes/fees included) for your service. My Sprint service was $0.80 cents a minute!). We've had the service now for 6 months and our average monthly charge has been $15 for both phones!!

3) We cancelled our BellSouth landline and went with Vonage. If you haven't heard of it, it's VOIP internet phone service. It requires broadband access (we have a cable modem -- considered mandantory by use computer nerds). My phone bill for the last 1.5 years? $16.94 a month, taxes included. I have the 500 minute/month plan which includes long distance to all 50 states and Canada, plus any option (Callwaiting, Caller-Id) you can think of. Most minutes we've ever used is about 300. With Bellsouth service and NO options, our phone bill w/ taxes was about $35 dollars a month. Yeah...you're saving only $18 dollars a month, but over 1.5 years this has saved me $325.00. I probably won't fly my RV for another 1.5 so It's going to save me another $325.00. That's enough for a couple of instruments from Van's.

4) We refinanced our house. You'd be surprised how many people don't do ths. We went from 7.125% to 5%, removed PMI (don't ever pay PMI! big mistake on our part) and saved ourselves almost $500 dollars a month. A friend of mine is paying 7.5% on his house 'cause he's too freakin' lazy to go and refi his house. When the RV is done, we're going to refi to a 15-year if market conditions are still favorable.

5) We bumped our satellite service down to the cheapest available. I would have gotten rid of it completely, but my wife LOVES those goofy home renovation programs on TLC. :D Besides, she needs something to distract her while I'm out in the garage!

6) I took on projects in the house that we otherwise would have paid someone for. For example, I installed a couple of french doors and a transom that I built. The RV has given me the courage to tackle these kind of projects.

7) I traded in my older, more expensive vehicle w/ a bad finance rate for a cheaper one (a 2004 Tundra @ $18.5k!!) with a fantastic finance rate. It's almost paid off now. My wife's car is paid off and since it's a compact car, it's fuel efficient. We try to take it places whenever possible.

8) I started using the garage to do our oil changes on our vehicles. I prefer doing this anyway because it gives me an excuse to check the vehicles over for other problems.

9) We don't think we have to go shopping all the time. I'm a technophile, BIG TIME. Before I started the RV, I was all about having the latest and greatest television/stereo/computer/whatever. Now, I don't even care about those things. My entire focus has changed. I don't even go into Best Buy/Fry's/Sears/whatever because I know I'll be tempted. I suppose I'm *very* lucky in this respect because my wife does not like to go shopping! Can you believe it? There is one out there, and she's mine....all mine! :p Some of our friends' houses are piled full of little doo-dads and trinkets and crap from the mall. Ours isn't! We say that instead we're going to decorate our house with pictures that we take from all over this great country as we explore it in our airplane. And BTW, my wife *loves* to fly! She gets into it soooo much and she trusts me entirely with the construction of the RV. She wants to go places! We have a US map of all the places we want to go marked with white push-pins. When we visit each place, we're going to replace the white pins with blue ones. It's a great motiviational tool.

So far, I've paid cash for my tools, emmennage, wing and fuselage kits. I have enough saved now for my finish kit (although I'm not ordering it yet because I don't have anywhere to put it). If everything stays on schedule, I'll be able to pay cash for my VFR panel and I'll probably have to finance the engine (I want a good, new engine since I'm not an engine guru) and prop (I'm thinking CS).

I'll shut up...err...quit typing now...but my main point is that most folks can afford to build a decent RV if they make an effort to save money in other parts of their lives. Hang in there, folks! It's good to see that there are other people out there that have average jobs and average incomes building these airplanes! This thread has been very refreshing and encouraging!

Nothing is going to stop me now...I've come too far on this project.

Great Plan Jamie

It sounds like you have reviewed everything and have your priorities set to where you want them and are well on your way.

Just one reality check, and this is something my very liberal son points out, people making 6 figures are not AVERAGE people. I consider myself an average Joe as well but he likes to remind me that according to the last census the median income in the us was $41K. Now don't shoot the messenger. :)

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing the info.

Car payment

Here's another approach and it helps convince your spouse if they're not all that excited about the project and the expense. Finance your project. I financed my QB kit, engine and panel all in one package, payment $400.16 per month. I dumped my car payment and bought my 87 yr. old (no longer driving) dad's truck for $2.00. Would have gotten it for $1.00 but my son outbid me at first. Anyway, now I have a plane payment, equal to a conservative car payment. I will admit that it is a long term loan, but I have plans to shorten it when I take care of other stuff. If your dad won't sell you his truck for $2.00, then buy a clunker, (that was my fall back plan). Anything to get in the air. p.s. My dad was my hero way before he sold me the $2.00 truck.

This indeed is a very good and informative thread, that more prospective builders should read. I have a unique perspective in this environment, being one of the guys that supplies the high $$ Chelton and "stuff" and the like, but fly a much more modest plane.

My job is to sell stuff to the rest of you that scrape by. Running a small business (as many of you know), doesn't equate to getting rich quick. I also do some airline maintenance consulting for the heavy iron along with the daily stuff. That stuff takes me all over the world on someone elses dime, so it's a blast. Last week I was working with an airline in Panama for a couple days, while the guys back here kept things running.

I'm far from wealthy. I live in a Townhouse, drive a 10yr old dakota that's long since paid off, and have no credit card debt.

Here's an interesting data point. My last RV6 was built in it's ENTIRETY, including paint, 0SMOH O-320(that I built myself), FP prop, a sparse but nice panel (Dynon, Garmin196, IK-AIM1 Engine monitor, Txpdr and ICOM Radio). Total bill for the plane....a litte over $28K TOTAL.

It's quite amusing to be looking at boxes here in the shop with $10-30K EFIS's in them, when my entire plane didn't cost that much. We also routinely build panels that cost WAYYY more than my entire plane did. That being said, I've met some REALLY interesting folks along the way.

Yesterday I was on the phone with a fellow building an Glasair, but is flying and RV6 he just finished. What is so interesting?!?...well, he's 80+ yrs old, and is/was a Flying Tiger in WWII.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Like others have said, strict budgeting and holding down the frivolous expeditures will enable just about anyone who is serious and has their priorities together to build an RV. My 1st RV was built in a 50% partnership with my best friend over a several year timeframe. Both of us are now "ex airline" people, and far from living the posh lifestyle, but having a blast with these airplanes!

Cheers,
Stein Bruch
RV6's, Minneapolis

Well after reading almost every message on this board, I suppose it's time to post an intro.

I work for a large healthcare company in IT management, and total household income is between 100 & 150 K if I'm lucky!

I got my private 25 years ago, and haven't flown much since. I have now been hopelessly bitten by the bug again, or should I say I've had a relapse of the flying fever!

Why Vans - it's been said many times, but can't stomach the $$ to purchase a slow plane that is 20+ years old and have to pay big $$'s for maint every year.

Which RV? - well, if money were no object it'd be an RV10 quick build, of course. GIven the circumstances, it'll probably be a regular build RV10.

The goal - Aside from the $100 hamburger, and romantic getaways, I'm hoping to fly private on some of the frequent 1 to 2 hour business trips.

Ken Peck

Since my situation is a little different than most, I'll chime in. I am a mechanical engineer designing vehicle powertrain heat exchangers (i.e. radiators, charge air coolers, oil coolers, etc.). I am 25 years old and single with no kids. I earn about $60k/year. A little bit of that comes from a friend that rents out a room in my basement. I wanted build an airplane early in my life rather than later so that I can enjoy it now. Plus, not being married, I can work on it quite often (I am on the ~3 year plan) and there are no arguments about spending silly amounts of money.

Like many others, my airplane interest started with R/C planes. After building my last R/C plane (a 1/5 scale Skybolt w/ smoke system), I realized my next airplane would have to be better yet and I may as well be sitting in it with the time and money that it would require. After deciding on the RV-8A, I realized that I should learn how to fly. After 4 months of training, I took my check ride in August 2003. I started building in January of 2004.

Eric,

Great to see the 'younger' crowd represented. Likewise I am 25 years old, over in Adelaide, South Australia.

I am a doctor, training in General Practice (Family Medicine) and am married to a nurse, no kids yet. My interest in aviation stemmed from working with other doctors in rural Australia (as I plan to do). The ability to fly is a great tool and makes the long distances involved with Australian travel disappear. I initially started out flying sailplanes during university but switched to powered aircraft after graduation. As others have said, the decision to build was bourne out of the idea of spending $200k on a spam can that was older than me. As I plan to have children in a few years time, I decided that 4 seats was a necessity. Much research followed with me eventually settling on the RV-10.

15 months down the track, empennage almost complete (Sloooooooooow build!!!!!) and wings on the way. Loving every minute of it. :D

One income

I'm a Navy guy. Currently struggling to complete a master's thesis in Operations Research at Naval Postgraduate school. I'm 38 and four years from retirement. I got this lucky assignment this late in my career from cashing in an IOU that the Navy personnel HQ issued me.

My income is a matter of public record. ($71,407.08 gross excluding housing) Married 3.5 yrs, wife doesn't work. One kid on the way.

Currently saving about $500/mo. just for the RV. Both cars paid for. Gonna run my diesel Jetta into the ground (at 44mpg).

I bought a couple of condos in my bachelor days. One of them I hit the lottery on. Bought a developer forclosure 2br/2ba on Amelia Island for $63k. Identical unit in the next building sold for over $200k. :D Currently bringing in $875/mo. rent. The other is on Oahu - breakeven. Now, I've got to figure out the best way to get ahold of the equity. One suggestion a friend had was take an equity load to "fix up an RV", the banker shouldn't ask too many questions. :rolleyes:

My story

Just thought I would throw my info out,
25 yrs old, married with one child on the way, I am a Farrier/Blacksmith. Wife works for the U of Penn, My take varys from year to year but is generally in the 75K to 90K range, have no debt, drive a 2000 dodge with 190,000 plus miles. I save at least 500 to a thousand a month for the plane and general rainy day fund. The wifes income goes completely into savings, so the plane is out of my pocket, I am paying cash for everything(have to write the check for the engine in June :eek: )
I am not a wealthy man by any means but I work very hard and have been blessed with a great wife and the ability to pursue my dream of having a RV.
The whole point to this long winded post is to anyone who is reading this, you don't have to make 100k plus to enjoy these planes, just the willingness to work hard.

Best wishes to all
Kirk slow build wings done QB fuse underway
VAF#173

I'm a tech school teacher in middle GA making about 46k teaching aircraft structures which includes everything from riveting to tech data. I love it because I get to teach at the local AF museum where we do some restoration work. Currently we are doing a T-33 and HU-16. (static display of course). My wife is an LPN working on her RN and I have an A&P and masters in education. Somehow I have managed to build my -9 without going into debt except for the line of credit I took out for my engine. I did it all in a single car garage and helping to raise two young children. My skills are average in just about everything, but my commitment to finishing borders on obsession. The key here is commitment and I hope to be able to fly to SunNFun 2006.
Bruce
RV9 90438

I'll take a shot at this one....

I am married, 39-years old, have one step-daughter who is 8, and live modestly in Arlington, TX (DFW area). I work in the security & fire alarm industry for Honeywell, and I am a sales rep and technical trainer. Unfortunately, I cover EVERY state west of the Mississippi within my territory, including Alaska, Hawaii, and Guam. While this may sound like a dream job to some folks, it kept me on the road (away from home) 40 out of 52 weeks last year. As I start on the RV-9 this year, that leaves only the weekends to work on my project, only after family duties are done, yard work is done, etc.

Along with all of this work load, I am also in graduate school completing my MBA. I am about 8-9 months away from completion of the degree, thank goodness!

My wife and I both work, and we knock down close to $140K combined....where the hell it all goes, I will never figure out! :confused: I established a special aviation account at my bank, which helps to keep RV funds allocated in the proper direction. Not in an effort to hide anything from the wife (she knows all about the account), but to have a dedicated account strictly for aviation. I am also completing my PPL as we speak, and am getting pretty close to taking the checkride. Once this is accomplished, my focus will be on a tailwheel endorsement, and then plenty of taildragger time. I'm not at all worried about the minimum insurance requirements for a -9 (versus a -9A), since I will have a great deal of TW time by the time I get around to actually flying the RV. It's just that with work and school, my plate is pretty full at the moment.

The RV is something that I have always dreamed of doing, and if it takes me 'forever' based on time constraints, then so be it. Sure I would like to make more progress, but the school is bogging me down. Once the degree is completed, it will free up TONS of time for more RV work.

My wife is also excited about the project, since I have tried to heavily involve her from the beginning. Once things settle down and more time becomes available, I plan to really start making some serious progress.

Take care,

Last edited:
Still Waiting

I'm 28, married, will have a son soon. I'm an Aerospace engineer, been in the work force less than 3 years (4.5 years of grad school) and earn less than $100K. I live in Northern Virginia, which has had some of the most obscene real estate price increases in the nation in the last 5 years. When my wife and I were looking for a house 2 years ago, we made sure to get one that I considered to be RV-ready (barely). Unfortunately, now the house payment is exactly 1/2 my take-home pay. We're also going through the adoption process with our son, which has all sorts of fees and expenses associated with it. As for frugality, I drive a 94 Altima, we try not to buy anything that we don't absolutely need, and we haven't had a real vacation since our honeymoon (7 years ago).

In the end, it still doesn't add up. I don't think I could afford to own an RV right now, even if the construction costs were paid off. Plus, flying in the DC area is all messed up by the ADIZ. I'd have to drive an hour to get to an airport that isn't inside the ADIZ. At any rate, the current plan is to wait for the dust to settle after the adoption and see where we are. However we're planning to adopt again in a few years, so I'm not convinced the financial situation will improve.

BTW, I still have the Van's flyers from Oshkosh '91 (I was 14 then), so you can say I've gotten used to waiting...

Still waiting...

Alex, from 14 to 28... long time. I got my privat at 19 in 1980, and haven't flown since college. I still have my log book, ticket, and now, 2 marriages, 2 kids, and 25 years later I'm finally getting ready to return to my dream! Probably only take me another 3 years to build my RV10! Keep those flyers handy!

I'm 47.5 yrs old, married 23 yrs, no life sucking maggots (kids) stay at home wife, 05 honda(hers) 98 chev(mine). Household income-70k/yr, machinist/ A&P/ mechanic. Small mortgage, no car payments or other loans. Trying to decide between a 7AQB or wait for the 12 (what I really want). At that time, I'll sell my beech Baron spamcan.

why not rehash this thread...it's been six months or so since the last reply...

i'm 28, married for 3.5 years (wife is 26), no kids but have a golden retriever (he costs more money than i would've ever dreamed-more on that in a minute), i drive an '01 dakota-still paying on, wife drives an '03 eclipse spyder-still paying on. we do have debt in the form of student loans, a consolidation loan, cars, and a mortgage. i am an aircraft broker/pilot for an FBO, my wife is a human resource rep for a health care facility. my take home varies with the economy and sales (or lack thereof), but our base per year is $60k, goes up from there with a good sales year (last year was about $80k-and the reason we had cash to start this project). my wife loves to spend money on obedience training and competitions with our dog (trust me, it's expensive!!, but worth it to her-and that's ok, 'cuz i love her and the dog more than anything!), and we do what we can to pay for airplane building fun. so far, i've paid cash for the emp, and have the cash in a special "airplane" savings account for the wings. we'll see what happens after that...keep saving. we are refinancing the house in feb '06, and most of our debt will be paid off when the airplane finally comes to completion in a few years. i will probably finance the engine and avionics, but it'll be a simple panel day/night vfr.

we are as tight as can be right now, but we're well fed and still have date nights. if we can do it, so can you!!

Last edited:
Ive enjoyed reading the old posts.

My story: MS degree in industrial engineering, was employed for 23 years as an environmental engineer in the aerospace industry (we made explosives and rockets). I got tired of corporate politics and particularly working for a diversity-influenced, lousy female boss (who was going nowhere, but did manage to block advancement for everyone below her) and took early retirement as soon as I qualified for it at 55. The old job did provide 401K investment capital and a small pension to help meet day-to-day expenses. I designed and built a passive solar cabin near Park City, UT.

The wife works for the govt, and provides benefits for us. Kids finally gone, at least physically out of the house, but not financially independent yet. I drive either a paid-for (customized) '95 Mustang Cobra (twin turbo, 500 ft\lbs, suspension work) or a 99 Explorer depending on weather and towing needs.

I found out that it IS POSSIBLE to make a great living trading stocks/options online (200-500% annual returns the last 3 years). So far most of the stock action is in my IRA account, so it is not disposable income yet. I do have a smaller personal account that pays for the plane and tools when I feel like paying taxes on that income.

The free time and stock market success provided the opportunity to get into aviation, something Ive always wanted to do but always thought unobtainable. I originally got interested with gyroplanes, which got me to SunNFun last year. My mistake was dropping into a forum taught by someone named Van. I dropped by the display and saw all the neat planes, got some brochures and compared performance data- that was the end of my gyroplane track, given the high density altitudes in Utah.

After a bit of study, Im now just getting started on the RV-9A empannage. My engineer side seems to be leading directly towards Mazda Renesis rotary power, compounded by meeting Tracy Crook at SnF too.

The local Salt Lake City EAA chapter has proven to be a great help so far- they keep the interest up and answer all my questions. I do not yet have my PPL, but will get it next year when the plane nears completion (hopefully I will be able to solo in my own plane) :) when the time comes.

Last edited:
I'll help keep it going

I'm a 46 year old Mechanical and Aerospace Engineer with a Nurse as a wife and 2 "claimed" :eek: dependents. We do bring in a good income, but both boys are sucking a lot of it away via college tuition, so its a matter of perspective.

My dad started flying in the late 60's. We went to OSH '71 and I was hooked. I designed and built ultralights in the 80's 'til the bust. Got out of flying for 20 years. Recently finished up my private and have used it for the "standard" stuff like going to see the parents and our kids at school. My wife has embraced it heartily. It was a pleasant surprise when she expressed enthusiasm about slow building a 7. Thank goodness she can handle the rivet gun!

We rent a Diamond DA20 frequently. It has a 430 and 330 with TIS. She says "I like the movie, I'll buy you this stuff for our plane, OK"?
I said, "Uh, shuuuure!" :D

Were in the late stages of wing construction, so the expensive part hasn't happened yet!! :eek:

N659db

Old copies of RC Modeler in my grade school library gave me a love for aviation. I got into RC planes pretty heavy for about ten years between college, grad school and starting a family. Then, on my 35th b-day I started A&P school. Soon after, I recieved a copy of Kitplanes in the mail. It just seemed natural to build my own plane, and an RV was the logical choice.
Got my A&P four years ago and started my -9. Got my private almost two years ago.
Now, I'm an Aircraft Structural Technology instructor at the local tech college, my wife is a soon-to-be RN, the -9 is a few months away from first flight, and we are getting ready to build a house with a HANGAR in a brand new airpark community here in the heart of Georgia!

Life is beautiful.

Bruce

Here goes. I'm 54 years old, married my high school sweetheart, been married 36 years, have three kids, and three grand kids. I grew up in the fabricating and machine shop business. I bought my brothers tool and die shop in 1978 and sold it in 2002. Twenty five years in that business took it's toll on me. I was totally burned out and starting to have some heart problems ( stress related). I now have a very nice small tool and die shop on my farm where I work with my son and shop foreman from the previous business. I build molds for aluminum die casting and plastic injected parts. We also build a few stamping dies and do some production machining. Recently I have been working on windshield frames for Hum-V's with machine gun mounts and have built structural parts for F-15 fighters. One of my favorite customers is Trutrak Autopilot. I love getting to work on projects that involve airplanes. We built the molds and also run some of the plastic parts that go into their Pictorial Pilot, ADI instrument, and autopilots. Life is GOOD! When you own your own business there is never enough income as it seems to go back into the business for equipment and maint., but I would say I live like someone who makes 75K to 100K a year. I am building an RV-9A and should be ready to order the fuselage kit in January 2006. I would not make a good production worker as I hate repetition. I love learning to do new things but then I'm done and want to move on. The control surfaces, wings, and fuel tanks have nearly killed me. I will be sooo glad to move on to the fuselage.
Jim Wright 90919 N6951K RV-9A wings Arkansas

Last edited:
I'm a 27 year old Marine. I've always wanted an airplane, but the only ones I could even think of affording were older than I am and slow. During Operation Iraqi Freedom (the first go-around) I made up my mind that I was going to build an RV-10, and I got back in time to purchase kit nuber 40032. My wife is very supportive and spends a lot of time bucking rivets and deburring parts. It's going to be a sloooww build project because I have to pay as I go, but we're working our way through the fuselage right now. I look forward to flying it in a few years.

PJ

OK..

I'm 39 years old, married, no kids (but looking for a puppy), I live in Los Angeles and luckily managed to get on the real estate train a couple of years ago.. Since then I changed jobs, got a nice bump in pay, and am feeding the RV habit with spare cash only.. Mortgage and taxes here are still crazy. I'm a technical director for a Really Big Motion Picture Company doing digital visual effects for feature films, which, thanks to the job change, I've rediscovered my love for. I've got the typical why-rent-the-lame-spam-can story as a lot of folks, but I love the RV for its simplicity, the community, and the honorable history of that type of metalwork and construction. I don't think I'll ever finance the kit. Not that I wouldn't, I'm just enjoying being debt-free (except for this stucco wonder I'm sitting in), but if it comes down to it, I'll trade the Xterra in for a motorcycle if it's the difference between the kit and a long, dark period of doing nothing while i save cash.

Ok, I'm 20 live at home in LA. Work part-time as an A&P, full-time student working toward 2 AS degree's and a BS in Aviation Management. Currently a Commercial grade pilot with complex/high performance (no TW yet!) and have some very kind friends who are willing to finance my first RV-7. Plan to build and fly for a hundred hours and then sell the first one. I know I won't be happy with it because it won't be perfect. So the first one is a learning airplane. Hopefully will be able to start another one in 5 years or so, once I get exactly what I want sorted out in my brain :).

Im an Air Traffic Controller, our income is about $120,000. Building an 8, Im on the super slow track, since early 99. :( Gonna order QB fuse soon. Love this site.

Ed

RVs can be good on the budget...

Started our 9A when I was 31 -- 10 days after our first baby was born, making somewhere around 90K a year as sole bread winner (it increased as time passed) I'm a Fortune 500 corporate type, working with a bunch of gypsies, tramps, and thieves. I did all the usual things to reduce the budget - sold my truck and paid cash for a used Ford Ranger 4-banger (a great value), cut out cable/sat TV, etc., wore my shoes a little past their prime, cut out eating out a lot (there's no time for that anyway), got a used Toyota Camry for the wife and paid a $5000 down payment to keep the monthly payment to just over $200. I had just refinanced the home to save a couple hundred a month.

I'm paid every 2 weeks and a strategy I've always used is to figure the budget like I was being paid twice a month. So two times a year, I got a 'free check'. It all went for the RV during this time.

I got a credit card with a 20K limit and used it for big purchases and tried to pay it off as much as I could along the way. I filled it up, and of course the savings account which wasn't much, was reduced substantially along the way.

I did search and pay $11,000 for a good used engine with 400 hours on it. Saved me quite a bit, and my planes main instumentation is a Dynon D10A and a Garmin 196. Both great values, in my opinion. And paint will wait until next year. I did spring for full hull and flying insurance which cost me a ton, but luckily my hangar, 12 minutes from my house, only costs me $135 a month.

The good news is all of that tight spending and saving has made us new people. Now our lifestyle is more modest and we're able to save what I consider a lot more every month now. I think in the long term, this will have been very good for us. (As an aside, we never missed the wife's job. It put us in a higher tax bracket, and without it we avoided child care, ate at home a lot more, reduced the cleaning, clothing, gas, and lunch budget for her, etc. I'll also say that you can't do all this without your wife's 110% committment. Her getting to stay at home with her baby is her RV, as she puts it.)

Its now 5 months since our RV has been flying. As a first priority, savings is coming back up very nicely, and the 20K credit card is 1/4 paid off. Looking to get that paid off by March. I consider the payments I make an airplane payment. I have a new truck, satellite TV, can eat out again, and our daughter, now 3 years old, can finally get some shoes. :p But she's already learned to call our position in the traffic patern. :cool:

On the way to church one day almost exactly two years ago I said to my wife, "I would like to build an airplane." After about 2 miles of total silence, she said, "There's one thing you don't want to do. That is to do it when you are 70." I ordered my 9A emp kit the next day.
I got my private in the early 70's in a 150 three of us bought for that purpose. I flew recreationally until a lifestyle change forced some cutbacks. In the early 90's I had no debt and owned a fine home and all the toys I needed. I changed occupations, feeling the need to give back a bit, and started doing video presentations for missionaries. The travel was great and you couldn't work for finer folks, but the money is very limited. Basically, we lived on my wife's income.
About three years ago I realized life is too short not to do the things you love. With the help of my old CFI, I got back into the air. I had sold an old Porsche a few years before (it was amazing how much a low mileage '56 Speedster was worth) and had a few of those bucks laying around. My brother-in-law got his license and we partnered on this project. It is strictly an out-of-pocket thing, as I have never been big on financing things that aren't necessary. We are in the painting process on a nicely equipped 9A, pretty much all glass with steam guages as backup for ASI, alt and VS. To keep it reasonable, we went with a FWF from a 6A that was trashed by hurricane Charlie. 800 hr TTSN 160 hp O-320, mount, nose gear, wheels tires and brakes, exhaust, baffles, cooler, hoses, etc all about $10k less than a new engine. Really helped out on both money and time. FWF time was very short.
I read all these hints on how to save money; cut out cell phones, drive old cars, etc. Been doing that for years (okay, did buy the wife a new Subaru Forester so she could get to work even when it snowed. You GOTTA get the turbo--very fun!) Think we have around $55k in the 9A, and I think it will be all the plane we ever need. Can't wait to fly it (nickname "Metal Exercise")
Life is good. Friday I will celebrate 40 years of marriage to the wonderful lady who not only brings in most of the $65k we live on, but sees the value in a great traveling machine. Sometimes I feel sorry for anyone who ain't me!

Bob Kelly, 90854, N908LB, "Metal Exercise"

Well Bob, unless you are the one who does the first flight, can we assume that from your occupation there will be one really cool video clip soon to follow? :D

My job title says I'm a Sr. Geophysicist. I think the Sr. is because I'm getting so old as I turn 48 the day after Christmas. I work in oil and gas exporation as a processing Geophysicist and my job takes me to some far flung places on this earth. This year I managed a good trip to New Zealand and then 2.5 months in a camp job in the Sahara Desert. I also do all the sys admin work for all of our computer systems including a small cluster. I only know Unix and Linux, no windows here. Anual salary is about 75k and goes up with the overseas work. My wife works as a hair dresser and I don't know what she makes, honest.

The house, the cars and the plane are paid for. The hangar is mortgaged as is was cheaper to borrow money than pull it out of investments. My wife drives a 1989 Isuzu Amigo with 295000 miles on the meter. I just tossed a new engine in it in July. I retired my old 86 mustang convertable with 400000 miles on the odo and lots of rattles and purchased a friends 87 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) this past summer. Ony 29000 miles on this 87. Since winter is approaching real fast I have been rebuilding the front end and brakes on my 67 mustang coupe which has a 289 hi-po and 5 speed from a late model mustang. This will be my winter car. When it really snows (house is at 8500 feet) I drive my 79 F-250 down the mountain to work. Average age of our automobiles is 19.9 years.

Gary

Oxymoron: Mustang/ winter car. :)

I can't even back my Stang out of the driveway when it snows (literally). I think it laughs at me whenever the snow flies. :D

my contribution...

My wife and I both work for a DOE research facility near San Francisco, together pulling in 140K. She?s an administrator and I?m a safety professional. We?ve been fortunate career wise, and our home has appreciated nicely as well. After ten years paying on an ARM, a couple of years ago I refi?d to a lower rate fixed mortgage, took out some cash for deferred maintenance on the home, and paid for the entire airframe without a change in term or payments. Except for the engine (the O-360 went on the master card) the plane is free and clear! Kids? The older daughter was in the USMC, was married for a bit, and has a little girl of her own, age 5. The oldest boy was a missionary in England and is now a senior in college. Number two son was Army NSA for 5 years, speaks Chinese, and is now a junior at Sac State. Number three son joined the USAF right out of high school a year ago, and is now a cable dog at Wright Pat.

These stories are all very interesting, with the common thread of achieving a dream. Likewise for me. My mom married my step dad when he was a USAF Staff Sergeant, and moved us from California to Massachusetts when I was 5. For the next 12 years I enjoyed visiting the flight lines almost daily wherever we were stationed. All the bases had fighter squadrons, as well as MATS (now MAC) or SAC squadrons. What a treat. Unfortunately I?m color blind and deaf in one ear since infancy. I learned very early that I wouldn?t be able to fly for the military. Even though I might have wanted to fly, that dream never got to materialize, and was put out of my mind for a very long time.

After I got married the second time two of my sons got involved in CAP, and I too served with them for several years. I obtained a derelict project for the CAP cadets to dink around with, but I ended up doing all the work, even though I?d never done any flying or metal work at the time. I got some good training and experience working on the Teenie Two airframe, but the plane never made it off the ground and was scrapped. However, during that time, I learned I could get a private license, so I did.

Eventually I got tired of flying the club planes, and decided to build my own, thinking along the lines of a KR2 and use the VW engine I?d kept from the Teenie. This time I joined the EAA and learned about VAN?s. I ordered my quick build wings and fuse in Feb 04. After 18 months of fairly steady work, I?m pretty much done, waiting for my prop and the DAR visit. Both should happen in December.

Time to get this thread going again.

I stumbled upon this thread while looking for something else and couldn't tear myself away from it - read every post. So, I thought I'd revive it and see if there is a new crop out there that would be interested in contributing.

Here's my story: I'm 42 years old, married 20 yrs, two boys (one in high school, and one in middle school). Annual income hovers around 130k and like someone else said: he|| if I know where it all goes. I am a technical architect for a large consulting firm, which means I draw diagrams of large complex computer systems all day. I was born in central america, moved to California in my youth, and am a recent transplant to Florida.

I've wanted to build an airplane since I was in my 20's but life got in the way earning bachelors degrees in mathematics and computer science and later raising a family. I went as far as ordering the the marketing materials and video from for a Lancair 320 but never really pursued it seriously. It would have been hard to do on part time job and school. My desire to learn to fly has always been there, but I had suppresed it for a long time. At 39 I decided that I had waited long enough and got my private. Soon after that the thought of airplane ownership crept into my head and took a hold. I started looking again at the Lancairs and others and that's how I stumbled upon the Van's design.

I fell in love with the 8A and ordered the whole kit and kaboodle in one swoop. The airframe was was financed with home equity line of credit which was paid off when I sold by expensive @$$ California home and we moved to Florida. Getting out of CA was the best thing I've ever done (lived there for 25 years and like the place but got frustrated with the politics and the high cost of living). The FWF and panel are going to be partially financed with a loan when the time comes. In the meantime I need to start looking for the leak in my bank account that keeps letting all my money flush down the drain. I've found many creative solutions in this thread to save up some "airplane money".

I hope reviving this thread is worth it and others on the list contribute.

It's really interesting to hear everyone's stories...most everyone is really lucky that dreams can be pursued.

My story is as follows...I graduated 3.5 years ago, and have been a full time CFI ever since. I currently am the assistant chief instructor for a large fractional-ownership company that has an in-house part 141 program, currently making around $36K per year. My new wife is a preschool teacher for a college-based research school, making a little over $30K. We have a combined school debt of less than $10K, and two newer cars that put us in debt another $14K. No credit card debt, but we are starting to look at houses to buy.

I will be interested in seeing how Van seperates the -12 kit. If it's one lump sum of ~$16K that will be a problem, but if it's divided in half (or something along those lines) things may be easier. The engine will certainly have to be financed. Thankfully I'm blessed with a wonderful wife that supports my dreams!

RV9A builder

I'm 55 and run a little engineering consulting business from my house whom I share with my wife who is a retired school teacher.

We have no kids.

I work in my office for awhile and then I go to the garage and work on the RV.

I've restored cars, built RC planes, ham radio, welding, machine shop, hunting, fishings etc but the RV is a 5-7 year commitment - the biggest thing I've ever attempted. I'm humbled....

Its a perfect project for my situation.

I've alway been interested in aviation and started this project last year.

I'm not even a pilot yet but I'll do flight training next year.

I've finished the wings and I'm working on ailerons & flaps.

Hopefully, I'll order the fuselage later this year.

I'm have the time of my life....

I may be crazy but, from the looks of this forum, I'm in good company.

Dave

ps: I did "tons" of research on all the kit planes and I decided on the RV9A.
hope I'm not disappointed.

Back