What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking recs for Boston area airports

Well Known Member
I'm planning a trip to the Boston area to visit family, and looking for recommendations for an airport to fly into. Based on AOPA reviews I have already ruled out KBED even though it is the closest to my destination. The only others that seem to make sense are KLWM and KBVY. AOPA's reviews of both look good but are dated.

Can anyone offer reviews of either airport and FBOs there? I'm obviously unfamiliar with the area (aviation wise) and would like an easy and inexpensive experience.

Thanks in advance!

I agree. Avoid BED. Both BVY and LWM are good choices. They have lots of light plane activity. Both have restaurants. LWM has an EAA chapter

Good luck

Where are you going?

Minuteman may be a good choice, though the runway is currently limited to 1700'. Rental cars are nearby and fuel is cheap.

Why no bedford?

I was working in the area and had no negative experiences.

The security procedures were nothing less than crazy, but otherwise a good little airport.

Where are you going?

Minuteman may be a good choice, though the runway is currently limited to 1700'. Rental cars are nearby and fuel is cheap.

My sister in law lives in Stoneham, so LWM seems like the closest option that is not BED. I have heard KBED described as "actively hostile to small planes."

KBVY

KBVY is now my local airport and I have flown out of there a lot. What type of service do you need? Hangar or just tie down?

KBVY is now my local airport and I have flown out of there a lot. What type of service do you need? Hangar or just tie down?

Depends on the weather. Right now I'm flying an older Warrior that may not be watertight so if rain is forecast (or high winds) while it's on the ground I prefer to hangar it. Otherwise a tie down is enough.

Not to high jack this thread.
What is the problem with BED? Learned to fly SEL there over 40 years ago. I know do not ask.

Thanks for the recommendation! We stayed overnight in the area and parked at KBVY. The folks there were quite nice, tower polite and helpful, and the line guy at North Atlantic was pleasant and helpful.

+1, would land again.

Back