What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Georgia

Franklin: Buffett

(Brian Wallis)
Attention hungry pilots! I am based out of LZU (Lawrenceville, GA) and there are several places to fly.
1. 18a Cannon.. Franklin GA. It's just NE of 19a which is just NE of KLZU.
I will check on the others ....
1-706-246-9600 is the number for the Buffet(mathis house)... Call before you go. They will come and pick you up.... 1 mile up the road... 2 loaner cars at the FBO as well as an honor system snack bar and weather.... VERY NICE AIRPORT. They are only open certain hours certain days... will check for you and update. Door code is 124 or 134.... same as local vor..... see note on door. There is also a good BBQ place near by.... keys to donor cars are in wood box in back of FBO.
2. There is a Fish restraunt at Habersham airport in N GA. SO GOOD!!!! The airport director there has the hours for it and I would suggest calling ahead before flying in.
3. There is a deli in Rome GA called the prop stop.... A bunch of mooney guys meet there every month so it must be good.
4. Unsure if Peach State grass airfield is still open for food... South of Atlanta GA.
5. LZU airport has a restraunt on field on the South side of the field... just ask the controller for the restraunt and he will give you directions. "The flying machine"
Good Luck Gentleman

Last edited by a moderator:
St. Simons Island, GA

There are about 6-8 great restaurants just off the end of the runway at SSI. Barbara Jean's is run by a Marine F-4 driver. (Great crab cakes and seafood!)

The old village area there has enough shopping to keep your spouse happy and you broke!

Local outfitters can send you fishing or conduct all sorts of nature tours via various watercraft.

Ga Airport Directory:
http://tomcat2.dot.state.ga.us/Aviation/Aviation_Planning/airport_dir.cfm

Last edited:
Jekyll Island, GA

Jekyll is the island just south of St. Simons. O9J is located in a beautiful spot next to the intercoastal waterway. This low key airport was just saved, as some wanted to close it. There is no fuel and no service, but a very nice reception building and their main income comes from renting street legal electric cars. You can walk to the nearest resturant at the Jekyll Island Club, or the resturant on the pier there, but the electric cars are the way to go. Later, take a drive around the island and back to your RV for a scenic departure. Great stop for lunch. Support their newly saved airport.

PDK (Dekalb-Peachtree) / Athens

I haven't flown in to these places in a while so someone let me know if they are not still operating...

PDK (Dekalb-Peachtree) just north of Atlanta. Downwind Restaurant on field has good food. Also 57th Fighter Squadron/Group(they are now closed) is nice up-scale restaurant that used to come over and pick you up.

AHN (Athens). Use courtesy car to go into town. Great college town atmosphere. Make sure there isn't a UGA home game that day!

Last edited by a moderator:
SSI is one of my favorite $100 hamburger trips to make. The FBO there is very helpful and usually has a car there to use. I have wanted to go to Jekyll Island but I worried about transportation. Now that I know they have electric cars to rent I will have to go down there soon.
PDK is the great for anything in downtown Atlanta. The others that I have been to Cobb, Gwinnett and Fulton county are all very convenient also.

How is Athens? I have to take my son up there in December.

I have to chime in on the Jekyll Island destination- I can think of no other place in Georgia I'd rather fly in to. And, the Jekyll Island Club will come pick you up at the airport (5 min ride), even if you are just having lunch there. You can also rent bikes at the resort and tour the island in an afternoon.

We flew in, called the club, and they gave us a special rate for the night- first class accomodation. The 'rah bar' on the river is great for peel-n-eat shrimp, and the restuarant on the dock is nice for classier dining. We did both, but next time we'll just slum it and eat shrimp at the rah bar while listening to live music. Both are walking distance from the club.

You won't be dissapointed with this place.

Spitfire Deli at KWDR, Winder, GA.

I enjoy the Spitfire Grill at Winder. KWDR. Folks are very friendly, Burgers are great as is the fish and chips. Not expensive.

One of the issues today at PDK is that it requires an act of Congress to get from the ramp to either the Downwind or the 57th Fighter Group. Getting back to your plane is even worse. Many thanks to the "Airport Watch" group at PDK for all the help. They almost had the children's playground/observation area closed at the airport as well. Presumably, there would have been too many people standing around watching aviation, which, as we all know, is a big security threat. By the way, the playground is outside the fence around the ramp.

Those things, plus a ramp fee ($10) to park anywhere on the field makes the trip too painful for me...

Kinda sad

Its kinda sad for me to hear that. I flew out of PDK from 1968 to 1974 as a renter at Epps, and partner in a Skylane based at Epps. I enjoyed the glory days I guess and flew many trips into PDK and FTY from AYS from 1974 to 1980. I realize things must change though. But if you want to go fly like the good ole days, from an airport where people really care, come on down to AYS Jan 24, 25, 26, and 27. We will be hosting the Red Star Pilots group for thier annual training and fun for all fly-in. Im sure there will be lots of YAK YAK YAK! :D
rspa.jpg

These guys really know how to have fun! :p Last year, Patty Wagstaff and Alex Land dropped in and gave us 3 days of off the cuff aerobatics demo in a factory new Extra 300 during the Red Star meeting. A real good time was had by all. Check out Patty Wagstaff photo page on her visit to Waycross Scroll down a bit to see her entry about Waycross.

Ohh and one other note, we now have our own restaurant on the airfiled. DeDe's Donuts servers breakfast and lunch 6 days a week. Some of the stuff we do at KAYS

Last edited:
Fly In Food - KAJR Habersham County

I am based @ KAJR Habersham County Airport Cornelia, GA. We are lucky to have the "Runway Fish House" that is open Friday & Saturday Nights and Sundays from 10:AM to 2:pM for Brunch. They offer an incredible All you can eat Seafood and Country Cooking Buffet.

The "Runway Fish House" is only a 5 minute walk from the Ramp which is well needed after eating such a big meal.

We have 3 RV's based on the field. 2 RV-8's (Mannan Thomason's Flying 8 & Tracy Martins Project) & my RV6 Quickbuild project. If we are there either of us would be happy to give you a ride over.

Happy Eating,

David W. Bristol
N369DB RV6 QB Fuselage
N969DB Piper Cherokee

Kyle Boatright said:
One of the issues today at PDK is that it requires an act of Congress to get from the ramp to either the Downwind or the 57th Fighter Group. Getting back to your plane is even worse.

For those of you that fly in and out of uncontrolled airports- you'll definitely get your COMM time in at PDK. Great place to get comfortable at busy towered airports using the comm.

On the other hand- if you are a little rusty on the comm- try FTY.

I'll second Tom's choice at PDK. Once you rip through the red tape, Downwind Restaurant's burgers (bacon-cheese) are almost worth the $100. I was there this past summer (drove to, not flown). Their outside sitting area is a great place to watch operations assuming the weather is just right.

57th fighter group - closed

I'm about 6 months behind, but apparently the 57th fighter group closed Dec. 31, 2006... We stopped into PDK yesterday and they're closed. Some of the online reviews weren't great, but I still wanted to try them... never got the chance.

Anyone know the story behind the closing or was it just a case of simple economics - no demand for their supply?

tysonb said:
... Anyone know the story behind the closing or was it just a case of simple economics - no demand for their supply?

As I read it, the owner is getting up there age wise, and has suffered some health set backs recently. At it's peak, his company owned / operated about 50 themed places around the states. There was no reason given in the article, but it sounded to me like business was not great, and they were focusing energy on other things.

I live directly across the street from the place, and after the few times I tried to make a go of it there, you couldn't pay me to go back. Be glad you ate somewhere else.

I'm reasonably sure Pat Epps has acquired the rights to the building / land from Dekalb county. I'm not sure what he's planning on doing with a restaraunt (read: something else is most likely going in there). Should be interesting though.

Americus, GA (AJC)

The humidity let up some and the visibility improved to make a nice late afternoon jaunt to Americus, GA.
In May, 1923, Charles Lindberg bought a surplus Jenny here for $500, got some training, then soloed. The airport has a long history as an early army air corp base and training facility for American and allied pilots.
Today, it is an ag plane operations base, GA and flight training facility, and has an aviation tech school which was converted from the army base buildings.
Seeing as how today was National Aviation Day, it seemed liked the perfect destination. Especially since there are about 50 ag planes decaying in a field adjacent to the taxiway. The story is basically that someone imported these planes from eastern europe but the FAA would not certify them so here they have been sitting. I don't know how long, but it has been 5 years since I first saw them.
Fortunately, a shop on the field is restoring them and they are being sent to south America. The planes are mostly the same make and model so the shop must cannabalize a few to get one airworthy. I assume.

In summation....late summer evening, low humidity, aviation history, me and my RV. :)

pictures follow

Last edited:
Frankie Williams

Bruce,
My buddy, Frankie Williams owns these uglies. The operation is named Souther Field Aviation and he also sells a bunch of ag-related GPS's and buys and sells ag aircraft, including crating them up for export. Frankie is also a DAR, something I just found out.

Regards,
Pierre

I am based @ KAJR Habersham County Airport Cornelia, GA. We are lucky to have the "Runway Fish House" that is open Friday & Saturday Nights and Sundays from 10:AM to 2:pM for Brunch. They offer an incredible All you can eat Seafood and Country Cooking Buffet.

The "Runway Fish House" is only a 5 minute walk from the Ramp which is well needed after eating such a big meal.

We have 3 RV's based on the field. 2 RV-8's (Mannan Thomason's Flying 8 & Tracy Martins Project) & my RV6 Quickbuild project. If we are there either of us would be happy to give you a ride over.

Happy Eating,

David W. Bristol
N369DB RV6 QB Fuselage
N969DB Piper Cherokee

Is that place open during the week? My parents just moved up to Habersham Co. (near Habersham Mills) and that sounds like a place they'd like (of course on the weekend I could go, too..........)

Are you building your RV at the airport there?

St. Simons Island

Day off + great weather + kids at school + wife at work = RV TRIP :D

I was gonna go solo until a former colleague of mine and AFR Lt. Col. said he would buy lunch if I would take him along.
OK.

It took us an hour from Perry (PXE) to Brunswick - Mckinnon (SSI). We flew along the coast a bit then landed. The FBO gave us a map and the courtesy car and off we went for lunch at Barbara Jean's for crab cakes and shrimp. A very good spot to eat and I will be back!
Here are some pictures of the Georgia coastal wetlands and approach to SSI.

p1010122it6.jpg

p1010123sw7.jpg

p1010127ik4.jpg

p1010129yg9.jpg

Last edited:
We just missed each other

Bruce,

Nora and I took the -9 down to Brunswick (BQK) on Saturday and back home on Sunday.

I thought about going to SSI but BQK was closer to our friends' boat.

Bummer we didn't catch up.

BSacks05,

Are you based out of Perry? Are there any other RV's there? I'll be starting flight training in the spring sometime out of there. Well, sort of: I'm gonna do the USAF Aero club thing from base, but they do all the training at Perry......

Yep, I rent a hangar at Perry. There is one other flying RV there and another at a local airstrip and several more under construction. If you get tired of the aeroclub there are a few really good CFIs in the area to learn from. That's what I did. Our EAA chapter meets every 4th Sat. morning at Robins Airpark (5A2).
Give me a call. 478-971-3462

An F4 driver..

....who flew them in Viet Nam owns Barbara Jean's, named after his wife. He now has 6 franchises, including Hilton Head and Beaufort, S.C. All the waitresses have "Barbara Jeans" on their shirts, and one day a lady walked in with "I am the REAL Barbara Jean," on her shirt. Yep, his wife.

Cya,

Yep, I rent a hangar at Perry. There is one other flying RV there and another at a local airstrip and several more under construction. If you get tired of the aeroclub there are a few really good CFIs in the area to learn from. That's what I did. Our EAA chapter meets every 4th Sat. morning at Robins Airpark (5A2).
Give me a call. 478-971-3462

Cool, I work with a guy who'se got a covered spot at Robbins Air Park, flies a Citabria to work most days from Hapeville :)

I did ground school at the aero club, and wasn't overly impressed, but at $80 an hour wet, plus $23 for the instructor........

When work slows down (F15 crash....sigh) I might check out an EAA meeting. Thanks for the invite!

El Nopal Mexican Restaurant near KVPC

I drove through Cartersville, GA when bringing my 9A project back to Connecticut. I stopped by the airport to check it out since my sister built a house in the area and I'll be flying in from time to time. We introduced ourselves to some local ultralight pilots on the apron and they invited us to join their group of 18 or so for lunch at El Nopal. What a treat. Food was great, inexpensive and the company was excellent. Try the Mexican chicken soup. It was piled high with chicken and very tasty. The FBO is very friendly and the restaurant is not far from the airport.

Mid-Georgia Recon Mission

I have been tasked by my wife to fly a reconnaissance mission to Winder (KWDR) to check out the fish and chips at the Spitfire Deli located on the field. My daughter has been assigned as copilot and assistant food sampler. Mission date is tomorrow (Saturday) at noon. Forecast wx looks great. We will launch from Perry (PXE) at 11:30.
Anyone who wants to meet at the Spitfire at noon is welcome to join us.

Winder, eh? That's not far for me and maybe we can compare Hatz notes.

I've been slowly working on Hatz Classic S/N 014 for about 5 years...

Hey, sounds like we may all have a thing or two in commom.

Looking forward to it. :)

478-213-2555 (cell)

Nice place to go after the EAA 690 breakfast..

I'll zip over too after the KLZU meeting..

Where exactly...

.......is the Spitfire grill? Near the self-serve gas pumps? I'll try to meet you guys there.

See ya,

Thanks for putting up the pictures, Marshall. I was gonna post mine but they are pretty much the same as yours, so I won't bother.
It was very good to see all of you.......Marshall, Manon, Kyle, Pierre.
Yes, lets do it again. We had fun and we're always ready to fly out for food.:D

Another nice lunch at Winder

Flew to Winder to chow down at the Spitfire Grill today and found Scott Will and his beautiful 7A on the ramp.
Great food and visiting and then Scott and I decided we needed a little formation fix. Seems we both had camera's and one thing led to another.
Here's Scott tucked in nicely on the low wing.

scottinturnforimageshacxg7.jpg

My Guys Southwest of Atlanta.

We have a store S.W. of Atlanta, in Newnan.:)

It's not too big, and its not all retailed out like Spruce but we sell allot of hardware out of there.

535 Pine Road Unit 102
Newnan GA 30263

Call your list in first and your parts will be waiting for you.
If you don't know your numbers look on our Webstore for the little (TECH INFO) Wrenches on the left side menu in the blue border area.

770-683-4190 or fax 770-683-4192

Hours M-Th 8:30 to 4:00
Fridays 8:30 to 3:00

If I get out there for our next software upgrade, who knows I might run into a few of you.:cool:

Trip to Savannah

Hashing around the thoughts of a trip to Savannah. Hints on nice sea food restaurants, bed & breakfasts, hikes, bike trails, wineries......you get the drift:)

Might as well throw in which airport in the area is the one to go to. Also, might as well toss out any ideas for interesting things to see in the close by surrounding area.

Thanks,

Last edited:
savannah

Excellent trip,We left greeneville tn and in one hour and twenty five minutes we landed in statesboro ga,the fbo is new and the flight school there let us park our rv7 in the covered tiedown area for three days,enterprise had us a rental car at the fbo,we drove into savannah and stayed on bay street,lots of hotels and resteraunts within walking distance plus you get to see all the big freighters coming in to unload.took 1 day and drove up to charleston and saw the hunley museum and the naval museum with tours of an aircraft carrier and sub.the next day we drove down to jekyl island and strolled on the beach for a few hours,i was totaly amazed how much ground you can cover in an rv!

Hashing around the thoughts of a trip to Savannah. Hints on nice sea food restaurants, bed & breakfasts, hikes, bike trails, wineries......you get the drift:)

Might as well throw in which airport in the area is the one to go to. Also, might as well toss out any ideas for interesting things to see the close by surrounding area.

Thanks,
Just did this a week or so ago. Parked at Signature at KSAV, beware there is a steep ramp fee, but part of it might be waived with fuel? Check first.

Get a car, but it is easy to walk around town. Go to Bonaventure cemetery (you have to drive)....skip the ghost tour unless you like that stuff. I thought it was lame. We stayed at the Marshall house, but ample B&B options. Also, multiple chain hotels near the river front, all looked nice and new. Hampton, etc. I'd do that again over the Marshall house, mainly for $$ reasons.

Jekyll Island is also way cool. You could do Savannah in a day, then go there.

Maybe a change of plans

After reading that Savannah could be done in a day, and Jekyll Island only something like 15 minutes flight time to the south, maybe a change is in order. For those who have visited the area, your thoughts on this scenario: fly into 09J Jekyll Island, have beach time, looks like great scenary on Jekyll and surrounding area. We are both runners and bicyclists so I'd figure on renting a couple bikes to tour the local area. By flying into 09J, we would be able to fly up to Savannah real quick, spend the day there, then back to Jekyll. Thoughts for you locals??????:)

Thanks gang,

You need to spend the night in Savannah. Savannah is a wonderfully eclectic town that actually takes some time to appreciate. Savannah is not Disney in the fact that you do need to entertain yourself. Walk the streets and visit the squares during the day, don't forget both of the cemeteries and Forsyth Park. Then walk the streets at night, visiting City Market and the river area. There is no open container law so you can walk the streets with a beer or mixed drink. Wake up and drive over to Cleary's for breakfast.

Jekyll can be done in day, visit the lighthouse, beach and admire some of the old houses.

Back