What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight to Wisconsin

bullojm1

Well Known Member
My college friend was getting married this coming weekend, so I decided to fly out for it in Northern Chicago. I wasn't going to Oshkosh, so I figured I'd take the RV. It was going to cost slightly more than the airlines, but the fun factor was there. When I arrived at the airport, there was a Pilatus with very Maryland colors outside the FBO.
DSCN2790.JPG

The weather was crummy at KDMW. Clouds at about 2500'. My planned route was over south-west PA, which was mostly IFR or MVFR. I decided to wait a little to see how fast it would burn off.
DSCN2791.JPG

Formal clothes in the RV on my custom hangar.
DSCN2792.JPG

Figured I'd bring some local Baltimore brew to the midwest.
DSCN2793.JPG

I installed my new Stratus unit. It turned on seamlessly.
DSCN2794.JPG

My planned destination was Westosha Airport in southern Wisconsin. My friends mother was nice enough to put me up in her lake house for a couple of nights before the wedding, as well as take me out on the lake in their pontoon boat. I wanted to get some quality pontooning in today, but the weather wasn't cooperating along my planned route. I noticed it was clear sailing due north of KDMW, and then in Northern PA. I blasted off and took the high route around this muck.
DSCN2795.JPG

I climbed above the clouds to 8,500' to clear skies and cool temps aloft.
DSCN2796.JPG

Cruising along at 8,500'. One of the downfalls of this altitude was the 20 kts headwind. I decided to stay up high until I was over Pittsburgh's class B airspace and the mountains of PA.
DSCN2797.JPG

I took my new 696 along with me. This thing is great. The screen is unreal, as well as it has the best depiction of airspace and terrain I have ever seen. I need to work on a better mount, however.
DSCN2798.JPG

Wind farm on top of a ridge.
DSCN2799.JPG

Crossing over the Allegheny river.
DSCN2800.JPG

Coolest airport name ever.
DSCN2801.JPG

My ipad decided to overheat, so I designed an air ducting system to cool from the back. Worked very well.
DSCN2802.JPG

Once clear of Pittsburgh's class B airspace and the terrain, I descended to 3,500' where the winds were predicted to be better. Sure enough they were, and a slight tailwind to boot! Not bad for heading west.
DSCN2803.JPG

Nice clear day in central Ohio.
DSCN2804.JPG

My planned fuel stop was KOXI - Starke County Airport in Knox, IN. It took about 3 hours to make it here.
DSCN2805.JPG

KOXI had a great fuel price. Best along my route.
DSCN2806.JPG

The airport dog had an interesting coat. Any guesses if it's natural?
DSCN2807.JPG

I always had wanted to fly up the coast of Lake Michigan by Chicago. Today was the perfect day to do so.
DSCN2808.JPG

Downtown Chicago - including Navy Pier, Sears Tower and the Hancock building.
DSCN2809.JPG

DSCN2810.JPG

The beach was packed today.
DSCN2811.JPG

And in about 45 minutes from KOXI, I landed at Westosha (5K6). When I was unpacking, I couldn't figure out a good place to hang my suit while I covered and locked up the RV. Then it dawned on me the perfect location. My friends mom got a kick driving out next to the RV to collect my belongings. We headed back to her lake house for some afternoon pontooning and beers. Great trip out!
DSCN2812.JPG

Fast forward a few days and a bunch of my college friends started to trickle into town. 4 of them were interested in getting a ride, so we went up and buzzed around the lakes. This is my friend Nook checking out my RV.
DSCN2813.JPG

His girlfriend Daxi getting a ride.
DSCN2814.JPG

Powers Lake, WI from the air.
DSCN2815.JPG

Another shot of Powers Lake - they have a "Rock Bar" that is visible in this picture as the brown spot in the lake. This is a very popular place for boats to pull up to on the weekends. It's a real party!
DSCN2816.JPG

DSCN2817.JPG

Last and not least, my friend Big Al getting a ride. At 270 Lbs and 6'5", he lives up to his name. All of us had a blast getting rides, and we finished off the afternoon on the lake.
DSCN2818.JPG

The following day was my friend Jim's wedding. Here's the newly married couple.
DSCN2819.JPG

And then a little dancing later on. Great time.
DSCN2820.JPG

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and it was time to get back home. Weather around Chicago was getting a little stormy with some thunderstorm cells forming. I played it safe and flew around the west side of Chicago.
DSCN2821.JPG

I stopped for fuel at the Jasper County Airport (KRZL) in Rensselaer, IN. I checked the weather and there didn't seem to be a solid cloud deck anywhere between here and home. I went up top to take advantage of a slightly better cross wind and to escape the heat.
DSCN2822.JPG

Up at 9,700' going 160 kts and burning 8 GPH. Life is good.
DSCN2823.JPG

DSCN2824.JPG

Overflying Fort Wayne International (KFWA)
DSCN2825.JPG

Thunderstorms up north in southern MI.
DSCN2826.JPG

The cloud tops kept on rising and so did I. 11,500' - My highest yet.
DSCN2827.JPG

Unfortunately the clouds tops kept on getting higher, so I descended to 4,500'.
DSCN2828.JPG

It was bumpy and hot at this altitude...
DSCN2829.JPG

At about 1/2 way though Ohio, the clouds thinned out and I climbed up to 9,500'.
DSCN2830.JPG

Crossing over the OH river into WV. This town is Brilliant, OH. The towers are the Cardinal Coal Burning Power Plant.
DSCN2831.JPG

This is Washington County airport (KAFJ) just to the south of Pittsburgh. I needed to land here last year for weather.
DSCN2832.JPG

Off to the distance is Rostraver (KFWQ). This is where I attended Tom Emery's RV builders workshop in 2005. Hard to believe that was almost 8 years ago.
DSCN2833.JPG

7 Springs Ski Resort. I spent many high school ski trips here. 4-5 hours in a bus, but only 30 minutes from home in the RV!
DSCN2834.JPG

More thunderstorms north of me in Central PA.
DSCN2835.JPG

There were some terrible bugs at 8,500'. They were big boys too.
DSCN2836.JPG

During my descent I noticed my G-Meter showed I underwent -32.4 G's! I will have to share this with GRT to get their take.
DSCN2837.JPG

Back home and filled up the tanks in the RV - 25 gallons - not bad for 3 hours and nearly 500 miles.
DSCN2838.JPG

Can't beat the carrying capacity of the RV. Few cases of WI beer and all of my stuff. This was a great trip and a wonderful use of the RV.
DSCN2839.JPG

Keep banging those rivet's, folks. It's all worth it!!!!!

Fast forward a few days and a bunch of my college friends started to trickle into town. 4 of them were interested in getting a ride, so we went up and buzzed around the lakes. This is my friend Nook checking out my RV.

Didn't find any new passengers worthy of the name Chunks? :D

Westosha

I used to fly with the Westosha Flying Club. Not the easiest airport to land at, especially after a long trip, with a hill on one end and drop off on the other end, and a runway about as wide as a 2 car driveway.

Didn't find any new passengers worthy of the name Chunks? :D

I almost indoctrinated a new member in the Chunk Club! However, he recovered on his own and ended up being fine. Was worried it would of happened two weekends in a row!

John Tierney said:
I used to fly with the Westosha Flying Club. Not the easiest airport to land at, especially after a long trip, with a hill on one end and drop off on the other end, and a runway about as wide as a 2 car driveway.

It was somewhat challenging to land there. On top of the hill and the trees on the threshold of 03, the runway was in pretty bad condition with a lot of cracks and grass growing through it.

Meh-stosha

Thanks for the trip report and the pictures.

I bought a 696 recently too, and struggled with how/where to mount it, but I copied a solution from a picture posted of Mikey here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=100450&highlight=mikey+panel

I put a RAM diamond mount in the same spot as the left one shown in the picture of Mikey's new panel. I think it is going to work pretty well in that location. I'll try and remember to post a couple pictures of the back as it is mounted. I ended up using two RAM arms a 1" bar bell shaped connector to get the full articulation I wanted.

It's been about 20 years since I flew in to Westosha. Odd airport really, and at that time it wasn't a very accommodating destination for a relatively new pilot.

The AFD has always said that Westosha has 100LL, but actually getting any seems to be a problem. The gas (used to be, at least) is sort of for the flying club and residents only, and you have to talk someone into letting you buy it, if you can find anyone at all.

My brother has a restaurant 1 mile down the road in the town of Wilmot, but I'd still rather go to Galt or Burlington, both of which seem to be better set up to overnight transients. The OP didn't seem to have much trouble though, so maybe Westosha has gotten better.

Thanks for the trip report and the pictures.
It's been about 20 years since I flew in to Westosha. Odd airport really, and at that time it wasn't a very accommodating destination for a relatively new pilot.

The AFD has always said that Westosha has 100LL, but actually getting any seems to be a problem. The gas (used to be, at least) is sort of for the flying club and residents only, and you have to talk someone into letting you buy it, if you can find anyone at all.

My brother has a restaurant 1 mile down the road in the town of Wilmot, but I'd still rather go to Galt or Burlington, both of which seem to be better set up to overnight transients. The OP didn't seem to have much trouble though, so maybe Westosha has gotten better.

Westosha doesn't have a formal ramp of any kind - just pads with nice tie down hooks and hangars. I parked the RV on a taxiway and started wandering around the airport. There was a local flight school there and I spoke with one of the CFI's about where to tie down at. He basically told me anywhere that didn't have electric was good and not used by the school or flying club. Although AirNav indicated there was a tie-down fee, the people I spoke too said not to worry about it. I knew that gas could be an issue there since it was a club thing, so I planned ahead and only had an hour out of my tanks when I landed there. There was plenty of friendly pilots in their hangars when I got there, and they all made sure I was situated and good to go. Friendly airport and close to my friends house. What more could you ask for?

Friendly airport and close to my friends house. What more could you ask for?

Glad it worked out for you. Personally, I would ask for a credit card capable gas pump, a runway without weeds, and an accurate A/FD entry.

Maybe it was the Cherokee I was in back then, which doesn't have quite the same effect as an RV, but oh well. And that's not to say some of the people weren't friendly, because some were, and I actually ending up getting a ride from a local to my parents house almost 15 minutes south.

Glad you had a good time Mike. Not too many people fly RVs to weddings. Missed you at 1st Mid Atlantic gathering.

Mike, I really enjoyed the report, too! Awesome pictures. I really like the ones of your suit & tie hanging in (or on) the RV. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Wis Trip

Your nice trip report captures how many fun opportunities the RVs open up. Never seen a coat and tie associated with an RV though. How'd the Wisconsin folks like the Natty Boh?

Great trip with a great write-up. Lots of pics and interesting commentary. We haven't crossed paths yet but I'm sure we will in the future. Thanks for the report.

Back