What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air filter

I just happen to have that info laying on my desk. I purchased an E-3450 from summitracing.com.

Careful on the filter, I believe the one from Summit is not the same diameter (smaller) as the one from Van's. If I recall correctly the OEM filter is an E-3450 'A'. The only source I have found is from the man himself.

Interesting. My POH specifically calls out the E-3450. And, the new filter appears to fit significantly better than the old one, which had shrunk quite a bit. The old filter was barely (or wasn't) sealing against the FAB and plate (if that is the correct term).

The E-3450 dimensions are 7.75" OD, 6.25" ID and 2.5" H.

What would you say is the concern with the 3450 if it is slightly smaller than the A version? It is entirely possible that the previous owner (I'm not the builder, or even the 2nd owner) revised/added that E-3450 part number to the POH.

Edit. The Van's site just says it is an E-3450.
O-360/O-540 Filter Element
Part Number = E-3450
Price = $32.00

Last edited:
All I know is I took out an E-3450 that was probably 1" smaller diameter, it did not fit correctly in the airbox and was obviously smaller. When I compared the PN's Van's had a 'A' on the filter after the PN (stamped on the filter).

I know the height will shrink when washed which is why I only replace them. However the diameter will not shrink.

Last edited:
I bet you had shrinkage. :)

I was amazed at the size and shape difference between the new and old filters, and someone posted pictures documenting that phenomenon awhile back:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=681274&postcount=17

I'm with you and I just replace them now. Barring an experiment proving otherwise, which I may do by ordering a filter from both Van's and Summit, I tend to think they are both the same size when new.

Back