What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spring training?

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Anybody interested in getting together for a few spring training baseball games in Arizona? I'm thinking about flying down to Goodyear to watch the Tribe play. I think there's a little airport right nearby.

Anybody interested in getting together for a few spring training baseball games in Arizona? I'm thinking about flying down to Goodyear to watch the Tribe play. I think there's a little airport right nearby.

It's Goodyear Airport (KGYR) and is a mile away from the ball fields. FYI - There's no direct path from the airport to the ball fields unless you walk around the airport perimeter. It's a bit of a walk if you choose this route. I believe they have rentals at Goodyear. There's also Glendale Airport (KGEU) 7 miles to the north if GYR fills up. No rentals at Glendale.

Bob if you do come down let me know. I'd like to meet you and go over your -7A. I'm building a -7 a few miles west of Glendale.

Carlos

Keep us posted.

I may be able to stop by and say hello. The problem is when you do it. I will be flying Formation 8, 9, and 10 in AZ then be in OK City on 11 and 12. My present work schedule has me off on Friday but I work Saturday nights.

GYR is about a two hour flight from my home base in SoCAL.

Hi Bob,
Goodyear is my home airport. You'll love coming in here. The runway and facilities are great, and the tower personnel are some of the best in the business. It's pretty easy flying around the west valley. Glendale TWR, Luke TWR Luke APPR are all very accommodating. Rainbow Valley, just a couple minutes to the south, is wide open for some good desert flying. There is a good aerobatic area there too if you are so inclined.

Let me know when you're in town and if my schedule permits it would be good to meet you and do some formation flying if you like.

Cheers,
Karl

There's a Friday game on March 1 against the White Sox and then no more Friday day games the rest of spring training, apparently.

Right now, I think that looks like the one I'd shoot for (I'd stay for a few days and take in some others, probably)

Karl is there decent tiedown space there?

Bob, tie down space is plentiful and is located in front of the terminal building (also where LuxAir, the FBO, is located). Their number is 623-932-1200 if you want to call them ahead of time with questions.

I don't have my March schedule yet, but I should have Friday 1 Mar off. If so, I can pick you up and drive to the game with you so that you don't have to rent a car or take a taxi. Let me know if this would help.

By the way, the offer is open to anybody else who wants to come down for a game. I highly recommend it. The stadium is superb, and the weather is always perfect for spring baseball!

image-2_zps326aea6d.jpg

I'm still trying to get the plan together but I'll almost certainly be down there 3/15 to 3/18, but most of those days will be family stuff and I'm not sure that will actually include any Spring Training. I'm trying to figure out how to stretch that into something more fun, and 3/15 has a Cubs vs White Sox game. I'm unlikely to ever see them play during the regular season, so that seem like one to go to.

I'm planning to drive if the weather doesn't cooperate for flying.

Mile High, I should be around at least one day during that weekend. Let me know as the trip gets closer if there's anything I can do to help.

The good news is after 14 months of unemployment, my wife accepted a job yesterday (it's perfect for her; she can't work fulltime b/c of her health and this is a 20-hour-a-week deal capitalizing on her skills and passions).

The bad news is she has to start working, so she won't be able to fly with me to Arizona (or the other possibility I'm still kicking around: Key West).

Son #2 -- the Cleveland Indians fan (yes, I did that to him) -- has a break from school (he's a paramedic but is now in the nursing program) on Mar. 19 so maybe he can come down.

If not, I'll just freelance it and get down when the weather says I can (I'm not instrument rated)

Let's go Tribe!

(Speaking of Tribe, I have two tickets to the thursday April 4th game in Toronto. As I don't have a passport, I won't be attending . If any of my colleagues in Canada would like them, let me know. No charge.)

OK, I've firmed this up with son #2s schedule. We'll fly down Tuesday (off day for the Tribe) and leave on Friday. Unfortunately, the Indians are on the raod that week in various locales (I think they're in Scottsdale against the DBacks and Tempe vs the Angels), which we'll try to hit, and the Reds (who share the facility in Goodyear) have some games there that we'll try to get to.

so if anyone wants to get together at all, let me know.

Back