What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 250XL upgrades

ROBERT DAVIS

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. Can I get upgrades for the Garmin 250xl or is it to old??

Thanks in advanced

Robert Davis

I get them for mine in my Tri-Pacer, I use the Garmin SkyBound program....hope this helps. Glenn

Do you mead UPDATES?

Updates are available as the 250XL is current production.

You can do database up-dates but they are expensive. The less often you do it, the more it costs per update. I just checked into updating mine and a single one time update is $275. This does not include the SkyBound USB adapter for the data card that can be purchased for $50.

I just went through the process of updating an old 250XL database. I got the Skybound G2 adapter directly from Jeppesen ... $50 + UPS charges or you can try to just borrow one. The full North American database was $115 via internet download for a one-time update. After waiting for the adapter and setting up the JSUM software, the process seems to work quite well.

Note to suppliers : As stated in other threads, please DO NOT use UPS to Canada. While I understand they work well domestically, two weeks transit and $40 to ship an envelope across the border is ridiculous!!! Their "brokerage charges" are way out of line with other carriers. A friend just had to pay ~$95 for an item worth ~$500 ... FedEx charges a flat $8 and the post office a flat $6 for the same service.

I just went through the process of updating an old 250XL database. I got the Skybound G2 adapter directly from Jeppesen ... $50 + UPS charges or you can try to just borrow one. The full North American database was $115 via internet download for a one-time update. After waiting for the adapter and setting up the JSUM software, the process seems to work quite well.

Note to suppliers : As stated in other threads, please DO NOT use UPS to Canada. While I understand they work well domestically, two weeks transit and $40 to ship an envelope across the border is ridiculous!!! Their "brokerage charges" are way out of line with other carriers. A friend just had to pay ~$95 for an item worth ~$500 ... FedEx charges a flat $8 and the post office a flat $6 for the same service.

Where did you buy it for $115?
I just double checked on the Jeppesen web site http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/avionics/selectWhSubscriptions.jsp and the North America is $335. Just the complete USA is $285.

Where did you buy it for $115?
I just double checked on the Jeppesen web site http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/avionics/selectWhSubscriptions.jsp and the North America is $335. Just the complete USA is $285.

I found their website somewhat difficult to navigate and find the various options. If you go to the "How to Purchase" page, there is a link to their pricing catalog. This catalog shows the various one-time costs.

Note that the one-time updates are not available for online purchase. You have to call their order line and they add the item to your account to be downloaded via JSUM. I confirmed with their order desk that this is the only way to obtain the one-time updates.

It's your choice whether to keep a VFR database current (i.e. subscription) or to just do the occasional one-time update. The system appears to work fine with a database that's quite out of date, even by several years. Since I'm only flying locally and really not using the map for new-to-me areas, I chose to only update when there are significant changes in the local control zones and/or restricted areas.

Yep!

It's your choice whether to keep a VFR database current (i.e. subscription) or to just do the occasional one-time update. The system appears to work fine with a database that's quite out of date, even by several years. Since I'm only flying locally and really not using the map for new-to-me areas, I chose to only update when there are significant changes in the local control zones and/or restricted areas.

That's how I do it also. I update my 250XL one year and the 495 the next. That way I always have a database that's within a year.

I found their website somewhat difficult to navigate and find the various options. If you go to the "How to Purchase" page, there is a link to their pricing catalog. This catalog shows the various one-time costs.

Note that the one-time updates are not available for online purchase. You have to call their order line and they add the item to your account to be downloaded via JSUM. I confirmed with their order desk that this is the only way to obtain the one-time updates.

Thanks....

Interesting timing. I have a Garmin 250XL and a 496. I used to subscribe to the Jeppesen yearly database for the 250XL at about $275 per year but I found I didn't fly cross-country enough to justify the expense. Last night I tried to do a one-time update (getting ready for OSH) and found the same difficulty with the Jepp website reported by others - not user friendly. So instead I updated the 496 NavData base from the Garmin site for $49.95 plus tax. Since I fly with both systems, one updated system should be good enough (my autopilot will track either unit) and the 496 update is a lot cheaper (and holds more data) than the one time for a 250XL.

FYI, the obstacle database update for the 496 is also $49.95 plus tax on the Garmin site. Hope that helps.

Chris

Ah, the old: "To start a new thread on an old topic, or resurrect an old thread," conundrum. I went with the later, as it's all specifically related to the above posts, and most of the info in this thread is still current.

This is the first time we're updating the database of our 250XL (and boy does it need it. The "current" one we're using is from 2009).

A huge thanks to the info in the above posts, as the Jeppesen site makes it seem like it's $300 for an update, when really that's their subscription, and they don't list the one time update online.

My question, as I'm looking to update my 250xl, is whether I can download the update to the card I have currently in the unit? The Jeppesen website says I need a "blank card" but I can't imagine you have to buy a new blank card for every update.

I figure the card in the unit is the one that probably came with it. Does anyone that has a 250XL know from experience whether I can just use the original card for the update and whether it's big enough (if there's a size difference between the original and the update)?

I'm trying to get my hands on a card reader that someone around here is willing to share as well.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

-Matt

Last edited:
250xl update

Anyone want ot share a subscription I have three guys on my field with old cards if they update every 28 days by the end of subscription we would all be updated.

My question, as I'm looking to update my 250xl, is whether I can download the update to the card I have currently in the unit? The Jeppesen website says I need a "blank card" but I can't imagine you have to buy a new blank card for every update.

-Matt

Matt:

The card that came with the unit is all you need. The update, done over the internet, will overwrite the old data. No need to buy a "blank" card.

As an option, if you can wait, take the card to the Jeppesen tent at Oshkosh (or similar large airshow) and they'll do a one time update there. Might even have a show special price if you ask real nice ;).

Chris

At my airport, we have 13 guys who have either the GNC 250XL or the 300XL(the cards are interchangeable). We buy the 1 year VFR subscription for the US, divide the cost by 13 and update one of the cards every 28 days using the skybound and internet. Dan

Last edited:
I guess I was under the impression that Jeppesen and/or Garmin made very sure that the subscription was locked into only your unit. I know that I've read that the individual update can only be used once (which is reasonable and makes sense). But if one of the monthly updates from the subscription can be shared...

Anyone in Oregon or Southern Washington have a subscription and want $50 for a 250XL update?

Back