What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iphone + goodreader + pdfplates

Geo

If this has already been posted, please delete and accept my apologies.
If you have an iPhone, download the app "goodreader" by Good.iWare. It costs 0.99$, it is a pdf viewer with built-in internet browser. From inside the app, go to www.pdfplates.com, and download a section of version 0910 of current approach plates.
Voila', you have CURRENT approach plates for the ENTIRE US (you can download the entire set if you have time)which will make you legal to fly any approach, and it's FREE.
Every month, you can update it. Again, it's FREE.
Did I mention it's FREE? (I actually made a donation, which is more than deserved, just like for all the great websites, hosted by great people, :D, that support our hobby).
Enjoy!

Last edited:
It is pretty cool to see traffic from here into pdfplates.com, for I am one of you. Unfortunately I haven't driven a rivet in months because of the work the website takes. It is been fun, though, to combine what I do for a living (writing code) with aviation. Feel free to PM me on here or write via the website with comments or suggestions.

Last edited:
iphone good reader and pdf plates are great

It is amazing how clear and easy to navigate around the plate, great backup and you can have the whole country and it's free, .99 for good reader.:)

Is this a stupid

question ? Can you download the material onto a laptop.

Computer Dummy Steve :)

Thanks!!

John,
I just installed the GoodReader and downloaded the approach plates to my iPhone. It was very easy and worked like a charm. I don't consider myself too much of a technical person, and even I could do it.

It is amazing how readable these are. I wasn't expecting it to be that good!

Now I have one other problem. My iPhone only has 8G of memory, and now I have to upgrade to the newer one. Dang! ;)

John,
I just installed the GoodReader and downloaded the approach plates to my iPhone. It was very easy and worked like a charm. I don't consider myself too much of a technical person, and even I could do it.

It is amazing how readable these are. I wasn't expecting it to be that good!

Now I have one other problem. My iPhone only has 8G of memory, and now I have to upgrade to the newer one. Dang! ;)

Yes, I agree...I did not expect the iPhone to be so readable. You can carry all the plates you'll ever need in your POCKET. I still don't think I'd try to fly with them as my primary, but if the batteries on the other device gave out, it is nice to know that they work so well.

Redundancy, still no paper!

BTW, the entire US is about 4 GB. So even older devices can fit what you might need.

is used in the iphone by loading all the plates?

The plates themselves take a little over 3.8 GB (entire US, including Alaska, Hawaii, PR, VI, etc). Add in AFDs and you are pushing 4 GB.

That said, you can pick and choose which states or regions you want, so you don't have to put all of it on there if you don't need it all. A typical region (equivalent to a paper 'book') is in the range of 100-150 MB.

My paper plates are revised every 2 weeks. How is that accomplished if I used a kindle?

We release a new set every 28 days, on the NACO cycle. Normally, the new set is up about two weeks before the next expires- for example, you'll find the Jan 14 cycle on the website right now.

You still need to download the files and update your mobile device, since the files are quite large, we can't send them over Amazon's cellular network. You can get the files from our FTP server or use a program I wrote that will automate the downloads.

Here is a thread that discussed options for getting your plates on a regular basis. There are several options available for free.

Back