What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

(Next Generation) Amazon Kindle DX: The perfect EFB

hughfi

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

Please check out the picture of the approach plate at the new Amazon Kindle DX launch today in New York from Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/06/live-from-amazons-kindle-event-in-nyc/

You can see an approach to JFK in there. I have seen this product in the flesh and it presents approach plates incredibly well for those of you who wanted a top class gadget for this. Add to that its internet access for weather before you go etc. and you are on to a useful device. Now keep the FAR's, your POH, manual etc. on it and it might just be useful...?:)

Enjoy. You can buy it at www.amazon.com/kindledx

This was discussed in this thread. Another poster indicated that the quality of viewing was not adequate due to poor rendering by the PDF viewer.

This could have been due to an earlier version of the PDF viewer included with Kindle, or may have been that the plate viewed did not render as well.

Would love to hear some more users provide feedback before going down this path...

Also - I was advised the Kindle does not have a backlight. It would therefore require that you have some external light shining on it for night use.

This is a new device, not the one previously reviewed. The new one is the Kindle DX. It has a much larger display.

Currently on the front page of amazon.com they have a big ad for it and a side-by-side with the old Kindle and the new one.

The whole idea of the kindle is to not have a backlight.

Its not supposed to have a backlight as its supposed to be e-ink and read like paper. Similarly, paper plates do not come with a light clip.

Yes, this is a NEW DEVICE and it NATIVELY supports PDF unlike the Kindle2. As mentioned, I have seen plates on this device and they are flawless in my opinion.

How sensitive is the auto-rotate feature? If I have one of these on my lap or strapped to my thigh, in turbulence, what orientation is it going to display?

--Paul

Wait a couple of weeks -- Apple is rumored to soon be coming out with something about the same size but with the same touchscreen technology that's in the iPhone...

-- Chris

If it's produced by Apple then I definitely want one of those. Their products and customer service are just excellent.

And the apple will probably have a new technology color screen. wifi, blue tooth, safari, gps, and phone.

This is a new device, not the one previously reviewed. The new one is the Kindle DX. It has a much larger display.

Currently on the front page of amazon.com they have a big ad for it and a side-by-side with the old Kindle and the new one.

Thanks for the clarification - saw it on the news last night. Retail price nearly $500.

Yes to the other poster, I do know paper plates also need a light! :D However, our EFIS units are spoiling us and I am hoping for a unit which is self-lit. I have a small tablet computer which is rather heavy and has short battery life if the power cord jostles loose in a bumpy cockpit.

Anyway, this unit looks like it will fit the bill for many users. Good news!

I'm waiting for Apple's, then I'll decide. Much like I waited for the Blackberry Storm because I wanted to stay with Verizon Wireless, then ended up trying it, and switching to ATT and the iPhone.

I've seen and used a Kindle 2 a little, and REALLY like the concept, and for an EFB, it's hard to beat... except if you have the money for a 696...

I'd be seriously concerned about battery life on an Apple product, having had many Apple laptops over the years, and knowing that battery life claims are ALWAYS exaggerated on them.

Yes to the other poster, I do know paper plates also need a light! :D However, our EFIS units are spoiling us and I am hoping for a unit which is self-lit. I have a small tablet computer which is rather heavy and has short battery life if the power cord jostles loose in a bumpy cockpit.

If your tablet computer is fairly modern, probably about half of its power consumption is due to the backlight. :)

If your tablet computer is fairly modern, probably about half of its power consumption is due to the backlight. :)

Yah, I bought it used on Amazon for $300. The battery is nearly shot - only get about 10 minutes on it. Nice unit though, and fine for my needs - it will also update my Dynon software so I don't have to lug a heavy laptop to the airport.

I didn't see

anywhere that you could plug in additional memory sticks.

Is 3.3GB enough to get the whole nation's worth of plates in this thing?

I assume one could just select the states we need from Rainsux excellent website to down load?

has anyone tried one of these yet?

Frank

It depends on how many books you have on it when you download your plates?

I am pretty sure you could put all of the US plates in 1GB, but I have not checked.

No slot for a memory card, but 3gb is a lot of space for such items.

The full set of approach plates in PDF is slightly under 4 GB. I could not get them all on a 4 GB USB flash drive this morning. I'm using a Samsung Q1 tablet running under Windows XP. It does a decent job of displaying the plates, but its screen could be a bit brighter. I purchased it used on Ebay for around $400.

The q1 ultra is a great device especially if you can pick one up for around $500.

It offers the flexibility of a travel computer along with the convenience of a small EFB.

100_2236_Small.jpg

100_2238_Small.jpg

With the touch of a button you can rotate the screen from landscape for charts to portrait for approach plates . The full plate is displayed in protrait at obout the same size as an actual NOAA plate. The extended life battery lasts for about 6 hrs with the baclklight running continuously. Add a small foldable keyboard and mouse and at your destination you have a computeer with wi fi.

Kindle DX Shipped

My Kindle DX has shipped - should be here next week and I will give a full report on how well it presents pdf plates.

Just for a reference point

I use the Reader Plates product for plates on a Sony 505. It is 1.47GB and using a 2GB card it is 3/4 full for all US plates, including US territories.

I know they do a conversion to make them display optimally on the Sony reader, but I am not sure what it does to the size of the files.

I am pretty sure you could put all of the US plates in 1GB, but I have not checked.

No slot for a memory card, but 3gb is a lot of space for such items.

Kindle DX - Not So Killer EFB Alternative ...

A Kindle DX review with IAPs was posted on the AOPA forums
yesterday. The news is a mix of good and bad:

The good:

- IAPs are crisp and readable.
- IAPs are a teenie bit larger than NACO's printed pages.

The bad:

- The PDF reader does not support (PDF) bookmarks. (Grrr)

A workaround: Download "utilities.zip" from NACOmatic.com
These utils will download one IAP/file. The Kindle's TOC
navigator can search the filenames. i.e. Searching for JFK
will find all IAPs with JFK anywhere in the filename.

- The Kindle TOC/navigator ignores directory hierarchies.
There are directories ... the Kindle DX appears as a std
USB thumb drive when attached to a PC. The navigator simply
ignores them and displays all files as if everything is in
a single directory. This inhibits having the current-cycle
and next-cycle of IAPs loaded. Grrr.

Workaround: I will alter the filenames that my utils create
to include the IAP cycle number as prefix to the filename.

- The web browser is label'd "experimental" ... and does
not correctly render pages with complex graphics. It
reportedly works okay with text-centric websites such
as DUAT/DUATS. Also reported to be slow.

- Battery/screen-saver shuts-off the display after 10 mins.
(OP is trying to determine if this is configurable.)

Last edited:
I have been tinkering around with EFB's for about the last 5 years. I have used mostly Fujitsu Tablet PC's, and even had one modified by ADR Soft so that full sunlight viewability was decent (well, it was just a little better than OK). I just received my Amazon Kindle DX and it absolutely blows away anything I have ever seen in the EFB world for approach plate viewing. The viewability of IAP's on the reader is just outstanding, and are slightly bigger than the original government issued paper IAP. The lettering is crisp, and even with my 56 year old eyes I can read the plate without reading glasses. The downside, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is the way Amazon decided to do directory hierarchy. Even if you create a separate folder on the Kindle (say...'Plates') within the Kindle's 'Documents' folder, everything in the 'Plates' folder is displayed in the 'Documents' folder. You can however search the Kindle for the appropriate airport identifier. So if you search for 'CHO', the Kindle will return everything in the table of contents with 'CHO' in the title. This would not normally be a problem; however if you happen to have a book on the reader such as 'PorkCHOp Hill', the Kindle would list that as well as all CHO plates. But I don't think that would normally be a problem, especially if the Kindle is used almost exclusively as an EFB and not a book reader. I am sure some enterprising individual will figure a way to maximize the workability of the Kindle. The display is truly amazing. As with any electronic ink reader, light is needed to view the display. If it's dark you won't see anything, so at night you'd need a flashlight. But that's the same if you are using paper charts so for me that is not a drawback. FWIW and YMMV.

Just got my Kindle DX yesterday and though I have not flown with it yet, this thing is GREEEAT! I use Flightaware.com for my free e-charts since they have ALL the procedures (airport map, SIDs, STARS) as well as all the info that would normally be in the AFD in one PDF file for an airport. Once you have an account, the below link would download a single PDF of all the information for KABE.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KABE/ALL/all/pdf

Click on any of the below images for a larger view.

The last picture is the custom web page I created for my kindle.

The Kindle will display a PDF of an IAP in superb fashion. However, the inability of the Kindle to display PDF bookmarks is a serious shortcoming. I was about to send the thing back to Amazon until I ran into this:

www.airbrief.com/news

This company has created an index of airports on the first page of each region of the NACO TPP book, each region of which is one LONG PDF. The Kindle will do a page search pretty fast (a couple of seconds). Plus this website has a link that allows you to use the Kindle's wireless capability to display a weather chart. You can even file a flight plan with the Kindle. So, for now, I'm gonna keep it :)

Frankly, the lack of bookmarks or TOC is not a show-stopper for me. Since I have individual files for each airport, I just search for the airport using the Kindle search and pull up the airport I need. Also, the Kindle 3G connection and browser allows you to download charts on-demand prior to a flight. While having the full 3.3 Gig of charts would be nice, a proper pre-flight would allow you to load all the required charts plus many alternates. All of which can be done wireless---at $0.15 per Megabyte. I mailed myself two of the Flightaware charts and some other documents (about 8 megs) and my Amazon account was charged $0.90.

Clearly the PDF viewer in the KindleDX has some issues to fix. I loaded the Airventure 2009 NOTAM and there were a lot of items that "could not be displayed."

Another (free) source of PDF plates is www.PDFPlates.com

These are bookmarked and indexed. Works real well on a PC. Mobile wise, I have only tried them on my Blackberry. The bookmarks don't work here so I have to use the 'go to page'. Performance is OK; but the Bberry, at least my older one, is not the ideal platform for this type of thing anyway.

Flew my first approach with the Kindle DX yesterday. ILS into Groton, CT. Tops at 2,500 broke out at 700. I think I can get rid of all my paper charts now.:D

This is great!

Another (free) source of PDF plates is www.PDFPlates.com

These are bookmarked and indexed. Works real well on a PC. Mobile wise, I have only tried them on my Blackberry. The bookmarks don't work here so I have to use the 'go to page'. Performance is OK; but the Bberry, at least my older one, is not the ideal platform for this type of thing anyway.

I was not interested in this at all because I have a 696 and can access the approach procedures on the 696. The 696 is nice because the approach is linked to the destination, and you can toggle between the map and the approach plate. But since my wife ordered a Kindle DX, I decided to look into it. This site and the Airbrief.com site both make the downloads easy, and finding the airport on the index is pretty easy, although you do need the airport identifier to pull up the correct location. And since it's free, I'll think twice before I shell out another $95 for a chart update. Now if I can just get my wife to surrender the Kindle!:)

NACOmatic: Kindle DX 'Index' Page

In the next cycle of NACOmatic compilations; I expect
(not promise) to include an index on page 3 for the
Kindle DX users.

It will list the AirportID and page number for the first page of that airports
IAPs, SIDs, STARs & Diagrams.

Since the Kindle DX PDFviewer does not support hyperlinks, you'll have to
[re]enter the page number into the GoTo/JumpTo page box.

The NACOmatic by-State bundles have been updated to include a list/index for Kindle DX
users. It is page 3 of every bundle.

The by-Region bundless will be similarly updated, soon.

-doug

> the thing to have to dump one's paper subscription or what?

IMHO; no, absolutely positively no.

The Kindle DX's PDFviewer is a heaping, steaming, pile of pooh. It does not support: