What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying 4 year old -8 wing kit. Problems???

Wardo

I am looking to buy an RV-8 wing kit that was originally purchased 4-5 years ago. Are there any reasons that I should not buy the kit, providing all parts are present and is as advertised. Are there any significant changes in the more recent years. Will the older wing kit work with a new fuselage kit? Any and all info is appreciated.

Cheers,
Wardo

I would

get the serial number of the wings and give Vans a call. You might know this already but the center section and the wing spar are now punched so exactly, that the wings are interchangable. Meaning you can buy new ones and slide them right in to a new center section. I am not sure when Vans started this so I would call them and find out if these wings would work with a new fuselage.

Randy
8A finishing, wiring, FWF

I have a 2002ish era wing kit for my 7 that I got used. I have noticed some discrepancies in the drawings vs the written instructions, but that may just be the mish mash of documents that I have collected. I am not certain that I got the two from the same source.

The other thing I've run into is subtle differences in my kit vs some of the websites I read for advice. You just have to be aware that the kits do evolve and be ready for differences.

In summary: if it is a good deal, don't hesitate. Call Van's when in doubt.

Back