What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MEK Where to buy?

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Hi,
Does anyone know where a local place to buy MEK? Like a Menards, Home Depot, or something that is relatively local to any large area?
Appreciate any help

Or is there an equivalent to MEK that I can get locally?
It seems like I cannot find any anywhere without special ordering
Thanks in advance
Jim King
7A TE rudder

Lowes sells MEK here in Georgia along with a bunch of other solvents. There may be environmental restrictions if you can't find it where you live.

Lowes carries it in 1 gallon cans here in East TN.

Your local codes may prevent it.

Try an automotive paint store.

Last edited:
Our HD....

Just got a qt. at our local (not a big one) Home Depot. They did not stock gallons..

gil A

HD here as well

I buy mine at Home Depot and I have had great success with the coleman fuel for prepping fuel tanks also.
-mike

Lowes / Home Depot have it - but do I need it?

Lowes here sells it in gallons only, but Home Depot sells quarts.

I've been using it to soak rivets, but have been doing all other pro-seal battles with lacquer thinner. I don't think the MEK is really necessary.

Do I really have to soak the rivets? Seems like overkill. Could I use lacquer thinner instead?

BTW - I HATE proseal. :mad:

MEK

Lowes in Wichita, KS has one and five gallon containers. You may need to ask for the five gallon container. We found it on the top shelf. Sherwin-Williams has it in the one gallon also.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

Home Depot carries quarts in their paint section. The mystery surrounding MEK is interesting. But the whole "kills on contact" thing appears to be overblown and I'm not entirely sure why. Like any chemical, it has to be respected. But the "danger" of it seems somewhat overblown and I'm not sure where it originates from.

Bob Collins said:
The mystery surrounding MEK is interesting. But the whole "kills on contact" thing appears to be overblown and I'm not entirely sure why. Like any chemical, it has to be respected. But the "danger" of it seems somewhat overblown and I'm not sure where it originates from.
Pretty much the same reason that a Cessna 172 now costs $200,000: Product liability concerns.

Yes it is toxic, especially to those people that are sensitive to it. It will (and has) caused death by asphyxiation when closed up tight in a room with it.

It is flammable, with a high vapor pressure and relatively low flash point. So it will burn well. Not nearly as well as Mogas, but then we all know we shouldn't use that... right?

It fits into the gernal common sense categories of: if you're not sensitized to the material, keep it off of as much as possible, good ventilation, kill your cigarette before opening the can, properly dispose of the waste (I like to leave solvent soaked rags out in the open away from other things that might burn until they dry out). While not overly susceptible to auto-ignition, it does have a nasty reputation for igniting activated carbon from vapor recovery systems!

When I started my career a couple of centuries back (feels like it, anyway), we used pure Benzene to rinse our laboratory glassware, wash our hands, fill our Zippo lighters, etc. There is no quesion that if you did that today you would die a painful, horrible and immediate death. I don't want to minimize the fact that Benzene should not be handled like we did years ago, but many of the warnings you see are there either because of Political Correctness, tort law, or we no longer posess the common sense we were born with!

I'm actually referring to the "risk" of using MEK vs. others. I often people say, I'm using Acetone because it's safer than MEK. I don't think that's quite correct. I think the level of hype surrounding the danger of MEK, has created the illusion that some of the other products that we use are comparatively less risky. Bottom line: ventilation, protection... no matter what you're using.

Bob Collins said:
I think the level of hype surrounding the danger of MEK, has created the illusion that some of the other products that we use are comparatively less risky. Bottom line: ventilation, protection... no matter what you're using.
Absolutely!

Back