What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for straight restrictor fitting

Jamie

Well Known Member
Guys:

I'm looking for a straight restrictor fitting for my oil pressure line. Wicks sells one (see here) but is brass really OK for this application? I would prefer a straight steel one.

My case has the traditional location but also one pointing straight back. Does anyone see a problem with using the aft-pointing location to pick up oil pressure? I'm assuming that's why a threaded hole is there.

2006-08-23.1696.jpeg

Yeah, I know...would've been easier to install the 45-degree fitting before hanging the engine. :eek:

The straight "aft" position works fine. That's why it was put there on later models.

Jamie said:
Guys:

I'm looking for a straight restrictor fitting for my oil pressure line. Wicks sells one (see here) but is brass really OK for this application? I would prefer a straight steel one.
Check McMaster Carr. 2822T14. It's a stainless 1/8" Male-Female restrictor. I think you have to specify the orifice size.
-mike

oh yeah, I think it was around $12.

optimum restrictor size?

I noticed that the wick's restrictor referenced in the first post is 0.040" dia.
If that size is good, wouldn't 0.020" be better?

I realize that at some small size the restriction is too much and at some larger size the leak would be too large if the gage/sending unit failed.

What are the acceptable limits on orifice size?

-mike

Your Local Hydraulics shoppe

Can provide an straight fitting (steel) that you can then braze up the hole and drill a small hole in it.

Cost about 2 bucks...And as you say you can install it with a 1/2 deep socket.

Frank

Back