What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A-914 Aileron control stop

mlw450802

Well Known Member
The plans call for this part to be made from AA6 125 1x1 angle stock. Can any of you who remember this part give me a clue as to how long the raw stock is? I have lots of long angle but the two longest pieces are supposed to be used for the fuse longerons and the rest of the 125 angle stock I have is 3/4x3/4.
This is the worst part of a really slow build - remembering where you stored all the raw stock.:eek:

Thanks,
-mike

mlw450802 said:
Thanks Peter,
Maybe I can hold onto the delrin more easily than the 1x1 angle stock. I hope I don't need that stuff for anything else... (right).

-mike
FYI, Mike, if you decide to go the delrin route, what you will need is delrin the diameter of the large washer in the aileron attach point. I think it is 7/8". Mike Shipper gave me that tip at Oshkosh and commented that it gave him perfect aileron travel. I haven't done mine yet, but did buy the delrin. ACS carries it in many different diamters. 7/8" is one of them. Hope this helps.

Hardware Store Item

I found stock hardware store bushings with an ID and OD perfect for the job. A little work with the disk sander and they where sanded to the correct length. I believe they are Nylon, but am not certain. Several of my builder neighbors are having good luck with them on their machines. I do no know if over time they will have any issues with exposure from UV or hardening but they are easy enough to inspect and replace if necessary.

Found nylon bushings at Lowes in 1/2" diameter. Can't remember the ID, but they fit the bolt perfectly. Just had to cut them to length. However, 1/2" seems a bit on the small side. The ailerons are at the max range speced in the construction manual, and one of my ailerons is actually hitting a rivet at the outboard end before hitting the stop. I think I need to go up a size.

(Sorry, just noticed this is in the 9/9A section. My comments apply to a 7/7A.)

Back