What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just gotta brag a little...

krw5927

Well Known Member
On Friday morning last week I passed the instrument checkride in my RV9A. Not usually one to toot my own horn but this was sort of a big one. Took a long time and a lot of work to get ready. Thanks to a great instructor/buddy, it turns out I was well prepared.

Anyway, get back to building, everyone. :p

Nice Kurt. I am getting close to my private and though I have zero desire to fly in anything but great weather, I would like to get my instrument some day. You have given me a goal! First, I need to finish my 9!!

I cannot imagine a harder Checkride than taking an instrument ride in an RV. Well done sir. I've prolly had 30 check rides in my life from private to ATP to type ratings.

No thanks. Where's the 172.

Well done.

X

Congratulations! started my IR in the 80s, paused for life, need to finish....someday....

The IFR is a hard one, but if I was doing it in an RV, I would choose the RV-9(A)

Thanks, all! I did have to work quite a bit on altitude awareness. The RV9, even as stable as it is compared to many of the other models, will really climb or descend in a hurry. It's pretty easy to get distracted while hand-flying and punching buttons, and find yourself 100 feet high or low. All in all though, It's definitely workable and should make the RV9 an even better cross country traveller!

edit: I recall last year that Doug, our gracious host, took (and passed) the instrument checkride in his RV6. I can't imagine....

[ed. Kurt, CONGRATS MAN!!!! There were times in our RV-6 when training for the Instrument I thought a 172 would have been pretty nice <g>. 'They' say it's the hardest to get, and as you know, doing it in a highly sensitive RV makes it that much more of a challege.

Well done, Sir! v/r,dr]

edit: Thanks DR!! Sorry I donkeyed up your plane model. I really did know you have a 6. I'll use the "it was early" excuse :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Kurt! Definitely a tough rating! The first approach in actual IFR is very rewarding (mine was this weekend!)

Outstanding work!

Yahoo, Congrats Kurt! Although tougher to accomplish in an RV, it'll make you a much better IFR pilot overall. IFR in a C172 will be a breeze now!

Good work Kurt. What do you have for avionics, and, any words of wisdom for wannabe IFR'ers? I do have autopilot, roll and alt hold, GRT Sport EFIS, heated pitot, 1-com, Garmin 327 GTX transponders, steam gauge backup for AS & Alt, so would have to throw more money at it.

Jim
RV9A
145 hours so far

Congratulations again Kurt! As they say, this is your ticket to explore and learn. Be careful and have fun. We will have to go and shoot approaches, keep each other current and safe.

Kent Wilkens
Wichita Kansas Area
Rv7a 690 hours sold
Rv10 550 flying

Good work Kurt. What do you have for avionics, and, any words of wisdom for wannabe IFR'ers? I do have autopilot, roll and alt hold, GRT Sport EFIS, heated pitot, 1-com, Garmin 327 GTX transponders, steam gauge backup for AS & Alt, so would have to throw more money at it.

Jim, I have a Dynon Skyview with roll and pitch servos, a TruTrak Gemini PFD backup, and a Garmin GNS480 nav/com/GPS. It's a really great setup, and the autopilot works just awesome on the factory settings.

Words of wisdom....hmmm.... I'd say just get started! You can do quite a bit of the initial air work without the attitude backup and nav radio, and regardless of your current skill level or equipment it'll make you a better pilot.

Congrats!

Congrats Kurt. Actually I think your 9A is a great instrument platform. I remember after getting my instrument ticket I went out and test flew a couple of planes to decide what I wanted to build. The first was a Lancair Legacy. I could not keep that plan on altitude or speed for the life of me. Admittedly I didn't fly it for more than 1/2 hour, but it really made me think this isn't the instrument platform for me. Shortly after that I flew a friends 7 and it was night and day. I was really comfortable on precision approaches right away. The 7 was stable but responsive. That was the final piece in my decision making, and I went with a 7A.

Congrats!

any words of wisdom for wannabe IFR'ers? I do have autopilot, roll and alt hold, GRT Sport EFIS, heated pitot, 1-com, Garmin 327 GTX transponders, steam gauge backup for AS & Alt, so would have to throw more money at it.

Autopilot is almost a 'must have' for single pilot IFR. I fly IFR in my 172 without it and I don't particularly enjoy it. More than about 30 mins in IMC and I'm worn out. As a rule I typically only use my rating to climb out or descend through clouds... no en route IMC flying.

I would say your heated pilot is defiantly a must have, as well as some type of fuel valve releif.. not sure how to do that on an RV yet... I believe you can put a pressure valve in the root.

I wouldn't call Steam Guages a must have... you'll want a backup setup of some type to get you out of IMC but that can just be a Dynon D10, Trutrack Gemini or that new one Garmin just came out with. Steam guages look cool but take up a lot of real estate.

Way to go Kurt.

The rating can really help you on x-countries. You probably have weather in the cockpit. It's really nice when you go IMC. Be careful and get a tune-up from a good instructor when you feel you need it. John

Great Job Kurt!!

Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it and then a day like Sunday comes along. Planned to fly to Aurora Airport (home of Van's) for some time in the FAA's hypoxia chamber. Stable airmass, overcast at 1200ft with tops between 4 and 5K and freezing level around 8K. VFR I wouldn't have gone, IFR no problem!!!

Dsc_0707.jpg

Spectacular!
Dsc_0708.jpg

The Olympics off in the distance
Dsc_0710.jpg

Mt St Helens and Mt Adams
Dsc_0715.jpg

GPS 35 approach at Aurora Airport about an hour later.
Dsc_0731.jpg

Spectacular photos, Jeff! Thanks for the reminder!

While I have no appetite for blazing around in 200ft overcast, My wife and I have sat on the ground returning home from a trip, wishing away an un-forecast 1,000 ft ceiling. Now it's no worry: just make sure we won't pick up any ice, file, and carry on. Plus as your pictures make so perfectly clear, it's beautiful up there! :cool:

Ya days like Sunday are the whole reason I got the rating. Generally speaking, in the Pacific Northwest we have about 6 months (Apr-Sep) when you can really use it. Well that is if you actually want to go somewhere. With higher MEA's and the lower freezing levels in the winter it's tough.

Being instrument rated can sure help at times but there will still be a lot of no go decisions. Unfortunately sometimes those decisions become even harder. I've always said if I ever have to shoot an approach to minimums in actual I need to take a hard look at my decision making process.

Try and use it a lot on the VFR days too. Have fun!

What Kurt did NOT tell you about his IFR rating...

.....You must have 40 hours (minimum) to be eligible for the practical test. His silly CFII signed him off at 40.6! :eek:

He was ready, and said it was "easier than expected" Experience tells me that means he was well prepared.

Good job Kurt. Your instructor owes you a beer.

Gregg

Congrats!

Congratulations! That is a very satisfying feeling. As sensitive as these planes are, I imagine the auto pilot did come in handy. I took my instrument check ride in a Piper Archer. Nothing happens quick in that....

On Friday morning last week I passed the instrument checkride in my RV9A. Not usually one to toot my own horn but this was sort of a big one. Took a long time and a lot of work to get ready. Thanks to a great instructor/buddy, it turns out I was well prepared.

Anyway, get back to building, everyone. :p

Congratulations good job Sir!

Jeff - We must have met (or at least seen each other!) I flew my buddy's C182 into that same event and those same conditions on Saturday! It was a fun approach (and my first descent to near minimums since getting my rating!)

Back