What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Texas RV fly in

hecilopter

Well Known Member
Texas RV fly in not looking good :(

Well, I guess it's not gonna happen. The weather doesn't agree with having a fly in today :mad:

Any thoughts of a reschedule?

Last edited:
Looks Bad from Houston....

I have been looking at the weather for an hour, and can't figure out how I'd get there until at least early afternoon - There's a solid line of boomers stretching due south out of FTW, all the way to the coast....it appears to be moving east, but not sure how fast it will go. - I'm hoping it moves quickly, and I can get somewhere in the afternoon!

Paul

Jellybean's still down for his annual, so WX is fine for me in the Audi ;)

I'm headed over shortly. My guess is that the DFW area group will find a way - Paul, come when you can!

On a similar note, I flew back to DAL on SWA yesterday and we basically did a scud run back from AUS - 5000 ft for about 10 minutes dodging cells!

You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out...

Got up at 0630 this morning to see all the rain. Drove over to the airport and found Don Christiansen; and then Mel and Ann showed up a little later. Nobody else showed up, so we headed over to Cracker Barrel for some breakfast.

The weather was a bummer, but at least I got to hang with some RV folks for the morning, so not a total loss. I tried to blame Mel, since he picked this date, but then he reminded me that I picked the location!

Spinks is more than willing to host us on any given weekend, so I guess I'm open to suggestions on a rain date.

JoeG said:
You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out...

Got up at 0630 this morning to see all the rain. Drove over to the airport and found Don Christiansen; and then Mel and Ann showed up a little later. Nobody else showed up, so we headed over to Cracker Barrel for some breakfast.

The weather was a bummer, but at least I got to hang with some RV folks for the morning, so not a total loss. I tried to blame Mel, since he picked this date, but then he reminded me that I picked the location!

Spinks is more than willing to host us on any given weekend, so I guess I'm open to suggestions on a rain date.
Remember the famous quote; "Location, Location, Location!"
You never hear the quote; "Date, Date, Date!"

Anyway the four of us divided up the loot from Van's. You guys lost out.

Where's the towel?

Mel said:
snip....Anyway the four of us divided up the loot from Van's. You guys lost out.
LOL!

Just in from 52F where we sat out there watching it rain all morning. We flew around the pattern a couple of times and contratulated ourselves on the decision to stay put.

1245 local and it rained on me on the drive home also.

Win some lose some.

Dang. Resched a possibility due to the low key aspect of this get together. Just let me know the date Joe/Mel.

b,
d

I just got a phone call from Louise - she just landed at KFWS and wants to know where all the big brave Texans are?!?! :p

Apparently it's VFR right now.....

Ah well, as soon as these thunderstorms move through, I'll go find her in the Hill Country somewhere.

Paul

Ironflight said:
I just got a phone call from Louise - she just landed at KFWS and wants to know where all the big brave Texans are?!?! :p
Ah well, as soon as these thunderstorms move through, I'll go find her in the Hill Country somewhere.
Paul
We're home on the couch with the laptop :).

Iron, the GPS antennae you needed is at the hangar as discussed earlier. I brought all the accessories for the unit - all in a box on my left wing. Yours to borrow as long as you need.

b,d

Ironflight said:

Paul
I guess we'll have to concede and give her the distance award.

Arrived via the A4 about 1200 hrs - not an RV in sight, and nothing else on the ramp was moving (well, there was this 150 that wasn't tied down tightly ;) ). Guess I forgot to bring some sunshine back with me from San Diego on Friday.

Head North if your from DFW area.

hecilopter said:
Well, I guess it's not gonna happen. The weather doesn't agree with having a fly in today :mad:

Any thoughts of a reschedule?

Hey guys, sorry for the hijack, but here's an alternative for this weekend.

The Gage Memorial Day Fly-in is only about an hour and a half N.W. of those of you in the DFW area. Head up this way, (KGAG), and I'll promise you some good company and BBQ. Come in this evening and camp on the field if you'd like. We set up the big canopy this evening and then we'll share a free burger with you. Free breakfast in the morning, as well, and a resonable charge for the noon meal Monday.

One heads up though, don't expect a real nice new runway. Check the AFD. There is some loose gravel. It should be fine for the RV crowd but those with pusher props may not appreciate it.

BTW, the wife is from Ft. Stockton and has been interested in your Big Bend Area travels. I'd sure like to get her a ride in an RV since she's been good enough to let me start on the -7. She'll be signing up children at the Y.E. tent. I'll probably be flying them.

I'm hoping A.J. Judy will be there and that Bud will bring the Pirahna. I can't speak for them though. They may have other plans.

Hope to see some of you, here.

Thanks Bob :) . That made me giggle out loud. It's STILL raining and there isn't much chance for a let up in the next couple of days.

Oh well, this time of year and all....fortunately the event is very modular and low key. We'll probably have another get together in a few weeks/months at the same spot (when it's good a HOT <g>).

b,d

alternate?

DeltaRomeo said:
We'll probably have another get together in a few weeks/months at the same spot (when it's good a HOT <g>).

b,d
How about this for a make-up day? (my plane will probably be down for annual, so I can just pull it out to the tie-down area!)

Jun 9
1st Annual Chili Cook-Off Fly-In
Lancaster Muni Airport (LNC)
Lancaster, Texas TIME: 11:00 a.m. until?.
CHILI JUDGING: 3:00 p.m.
AGENDA: Music, new aircraft display, helicopter rides, salsa contest, door prizes, group tours of air salvage, and much more!
FFI: Tim Halcomb, 800/232-1953

GAGE Fly In Memorial Day

Caveman said:
Hey guys, sorry for the hijack, but here's an alternative for this weekend.

The Gage Memorial Day Fly-in is only about an hour and a half N.W. of those of you in the DFW area. Head up this way, (KGAG), and I'll promise you some good company and BBQ. Come in this evening and camp on the field if you'd like. We set up the big canopy this evening and then we'll share a free burger with you. Free breakfast in the morning, as well, and a resonable charge for the noon meal Monday.

BTW, the wife is from Ft. Stockton and has been interested in your Big Bend Area travels. I'd sure like to get her a ride in an RV since she's been good enough to let me start on the -7. She'll be signing up children at the Y.E. tent. I'll probably be flying them.

I'm hoping A.J. Judy will be there and that Bud will bring the Pirahna. I can't speak for them though. They may have other plans.
Hope to see some of you, here.

Hey JOE,,, I'll be attending the GAGE fly-in Monday. I'll give Bud Pinkston with the Piranaha a call along with the other RV gang in the KS area as I'm sure all of them will be attending.

Last edited:
Gage, OK flyin from Wichita Falls

Anyone interested...I'll be taking off from Wichita Falls, F14, around 0830ish for the Gage, OK flyin for breakfast, maybe lunch. Anyone from the south area going to the flyin come on by and lets loose fly up there...

AVGAS at F14 is $3.49

cell: 940-613-2797

Mel said:
I guess we'll have to concede and give her the distance award.

What?!? I think I also deserve the Best RV6, Best of Show, People's Choice, and whatever other categories you intended! I confirmed with the tower guys that I was the only RV to show up, and they agreed that you should send me the LOOT. I'll P.M. my new address so you know where to ship it all. ;)

Louise Hose
RV6, N164 MS
Carlsbad, NM, transitioning to Springfield, VA.....currently homeless in Fredericksburg, TX

Louise Hose said:
What?!? I think I also deserve the Best RV6, Best of Show, People's Choice, and whatever other categories you intended! I confirmed with the tower guys that I was the only RV to show up, and they agreed that you should send me the LOOT. I'll P.M. my new address so you know where to ship it all. ;)

Louise Hose
RV6, N164 MS
Carlsbad, NM, transitioning to Springfield, VA.....currently homeless in Fredericksburg, TX
You mean the only RV at an RV fly-in came from 500 miles away?

Louise

Louise Hose said:
What?!? I think I also deserve the Best RV6, Best of Show, People's Choice, and whatever other categories you intended! I confirmed with the tower guys that I was the only RV to show up...

What time were you there and what color is your RV? We drove by the airport after lunch and I swear I saw an RV taxiing for takeoff.

DR JK said:
What time were you there and what color is your RV? We drove by the airport after lunch and I swear I saw an RV taxiing for takeoff.
Did it look anything like this?

IMG_1116.jpg

Looking forward to it, Guys!

rv969wf said:
Hey JOE,,, I'll be attending the GAGE fly-in Monday. I'll give Bud Pinkston with the Piranaha a call along with the other RV gang in the KS area as I'm sure all of them will be attending.

I just came home from setting up for the fly-in. The tents are up and everything is ready. The weather is looking much better. Bud showed up in the Coamanche and had a burger with us. I guess the runway is partially underwater at Great Bend and he couldn't get the Pirahna off. I think he's bringing the Decathalon tomorrow. We're expecting some YAKs. There were a few RV's there tonight. A few peopele set up tents and had a camp fire going. Kids were cookin marshmallows and hot dogs. This is small town Americana at its best. Come on over.

Louise Hose said:

Louise Hose
RV6, N164 MS

you may have been the only rv, but three builders in an "rv-wannabe" (piper t-arrow) flew in about 11:00 -- and out again about noon. we found out the fly-in was cancelled while we were shooting the ils and the tower asked us where we wanted to park. we said "somewhere on the ramp, we've come for the rv fly-in" and tower said "it's been cancelled". we said "we're going to land anyway." and did. we went on to llano and had coopers's bbq before returning to kaus.

john, larry, rudy

Maybe for the next Texas Fly in , you should use an older Texas map when it included part of NM, OK, CO. You could call it the TexaRado Fly In.

Back