What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My first movie...

n468ac

Well Known Member
http://www.checca.net/n468acVideos.htm

Here is my first video attempt.

Video taken with: Oregon Scientific ATC-1000 Action Helmet Camera

Edited with: Microsoft Movie Maker 2.1

PS: I need suggestions for a better video editor ... the camera saves the movies in avi format ... that format is really hard to work on within Movie Maker 2.1

I had the camera attached to my headset ... next time I will try to mount it further back in the cockpit for a bigger picture. Suggestions for where to mount it would be apprenticed.

Allen, that's very cool!

I think you just converted a thousand builders to tip-up canopies, though! :D

LOL! I had the same thought, Dan :D .

Alan, I'm using iMovie that came with the MAC I just bought and am finding it is a very, very powerful movie editor. I still use MovieMaker 2.1 for the quick and dirty stuff though - it's pretty quick.

I was thinking how hard it would be to just mount my little digital cam on my headset over the right ear - your little camera might be much better. Do you have a link to more info on the camera, Allen?

Great video! I watched the whole thing.

b,
d

Last edited:
WOW! Nice roll bar!

Hey, did you know there was an airplane just outside your window for much of the video!?!

:D CJ

Not for nothing I'd been fretting on the tip-up vs. slider thing ...not anymore.

... ;)

I too enjoyed it and look forward to more.

dan said:
Allen, that's very cool!

I think you just converted a thousand builders to tip-up canopies, though! :D

I made the tip-up decision months ago, but this just reaffirms it for me. :D

It was also a great motivator to get the project flying!

Thanks Allen

i already did the tip up but

no one yet has noticed how quick you had it unlatched and open after landing. maybe you should point that camera at the driver this summer so they can see the breeze in your face.thats the beauty in a slider to me.
cool video. yes it probally did change a couple of peoples minds either way.

Last edited:
:) Thanks eveyone for the comments... But I (christopher) posted and took the video.

1. http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=8&scid=86&pid=560 Here is the link to the camera ... they have a newer version ... but the old can still be got from Best Buy.com for 69.95 or less. FYI the raw video is AVI and for 29 mins the file was 223 Mb, it had sound, but the engine noise made it useless.

2. For the tip up vs slider people ... I should have just mounted the camera on my left side ... but it was my first attempt and I wasn't sure how much viewing area the camera had.

3. cytoxin ... your right, when it's 80 out and full bright sun I will have to point it back it the pilot. Theres nothing like the cool brezze on a really hot day, when your sitting in line for take off.

Helmet Cam

Chris

Don't pay attention the the tip up biggots. Their just mean! :D

Wait until summer and their sittin on the ramp.

DarylT said:
Wait until summer and their sittin on the ramp.
I just idle the engine and open my tip-up all the way when I'm just sitting on the ramp in the summertime. :cool:

Visibility in a slider is MUCH better than it appears in this video. Ventilation in a tip-up is MUCH better (with the canopy in an intermediate open condition) than many slider people seem to think.

Happy with my tip-up but like the slider also.

how well does it withstand gusts

dan said:
I just idle the engine and open my tip-up all the way when I'm just sitting on the ramp in the summertime. :cool:
when i got out of the spam can yesterday a beechcraft of sometype( 6 pass single engine three bladed prop.) started just after i had parked behind him and opened the door, shut it back for me rather hard. made me think i dont want to do that in a tipper. he did wait until i was tied down before he left. good thing, the little 150 wouldve probally blown away. :rolleyes:

I liked your video..

Christopher, I noticed that your prop looked different then other videos that I have seen. Is it because of the camera or is your prop different?

Kent

Chris, your first movie

To answer the question about the prop in the video. The sample rate of the video camera is why it looks that way with the speed of the prop. Lot of your smaller digital video cameras will cause the props to show up on the video in this fashion. By the way does the Decathlon driver get any air time here. The wife and I are building a RV7 Slider?. :D

kentb said:
Christopher, I noticed that your prop looked different then other videos that I have seen. Is it because of the camera or is your prop different?

Kent

As trofs_rv7 said ... it would seam some side effect of the video camera. It only records at 15fps and the raw video looks about the same.

Back