What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dayton, what's the word?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Dayton, have you flown that bird yet? How did it go?

PS. Congrats on getting the FAA signoff!

Hi Bill
I have talked to my test pilot Steve Brown (Reno Air Race Bi-Plane Pilot and full time airline pilot) and confirmed that between Christmas and New Years we will fly my RV4. Before any buddy else give any grief! (not you Bill) about having a test pilot. Let me give you the stats. I have 500ish hours in tail wheel aircraft. from champs to T6s. 5 hours in the last 6 years. I believe it is best to have a current, experienced guy do the first few hours. He will make better decisions and fly my baby better then I will ever hope to. I will go get current in a Citabria and fly when I am ready.

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi Bill
I have talked to my test pilot Steve Brown (Reno Air Race Bi-Plane Pilot and full time airline pilot) and confirmed that between Christmas and New Years we will fly my RV4. Before any buddy else give any grief! (not you Bill) about having a test pilot. Let me give you the stats. I have 500ish hours in tail wheel aircraft. from champs to T6s. 5 hours in the last 6 years. I believe it is best to have a current, experienced guy do the first few hours. He will make better decisions and fly my baby better then I will ever hope to. I will go get current in a Citabria and fly when I am ready.

Dayton,
No grief given for smart decisions. Best of luck with your Phase 1, and congrats on your beautiful bird.

Maturity

Dayton,
Very mature approach.
Hope you can find a chase plane so you can see the fuitiuon of your efforts up close.
Good luck.
Pete.

Dayton Murdock said:
... I believe it is best to have a current, experienced guy do the first few hours. He will make better decisions and fly my baby better then I will ever hope to. I will go get current in a Citabria and fly when I am ready.
Dayton,

VERY smart move!!! I know all will go well and I can only imagine how good of a job you must have done building that -4 based on the TQ I have in my -9.

Best of luck!

Or you could try this....

Many years ago, a friend of mine finished an RV-4 and went to visit another builder who had also just finished. In those days, there were no Mike Seagers and nobody knew what an RV was.

Anyway, the guy kept inquiring about the wind and , in retrospect, my friend feels bad that he didn't realize something was wrong sooner.

The guy came in for a landing and lost control of the plane. It rolled off to one side and caught a wingtip. It then rolled up and over the nose off onto the other wintip and amazingly came to rest right side up. The canopy ended up jammed and they had to break it to get him out. Both wings damaged, prop strike, landing gear, nose and canopy. The plane had less than 5 hours on it.

Take your time. 10 years from now, nobody will remember when you first flew or how much dual you got. They will only know that you're flying your plane safely.

Congratulations and enjoy.

John

I'm your Huckleberry...

Hi Dayton,

If you need a good RV4 test pilot, let me know. I'll fly the Rocket up and do the honors for you, it would be my pleasure. I did The Bandit's initial test flight back in 96' and still remember the instant grin I had as I lifted off my friend Arvil's 1200' grass strip. It was the first RV I had flown, and it was mine. That was 1400 hours ago and I still love it...

Rob Ray

Thanks

Hi Rob
Thanks for the gracious (if somehwhat sucidical) offer Rob! I will keep everyone posted on the flight progress. Rob, if I need to replace my test pilot you will be next on the very short list. Today I am recovering from Insurance Shock! WOW!!!! I just want to insure my airplane not buy an insurance company.
Thanks again

Raise the rates?

Hi Dayton,
Funny how that works with insurance isn't it. I figure I have paid 1/2 the Bandit's initial value (26K in 95') in premiums in 10 years. When they equal will it be totalled? :)
Oh well, let me know how I can help...Merry Christmas!

Rob Ray

Help with fuel gage

Hi Guys
I have a Electronics International Dual Fuel Level gage (fl2c)after calibration I have a L3 code? The Technical notes state: The sensor output reads more then 3096 counts when the fuel level in the tank is 0 gallons. How do I clear this code?

Here's some numbers

Hi Guys
Here are the numbers so far.
Carson City Alt 4700' 44 degs F/ 8 degs C today
D/alt 4300

7500 alt D/alt 6951 34 degs F / 1.1 degs C
2400 rpm 143 kts / tas 159.5 kts or 183.5 mph
2700 rpm 161 kts / tas 179.2 kts or 206.2 mph
Vx 1600' @76kts
Vy 1400' @110kts
aircraft/wt 1260 ish

Give it back ...

>> 2700 rpm 161 kts / tas 179.2 kts or 206.2 mph

I'm sorry, but book numbers for those conditions should be 193 mph. Please return the extra speed immediately :).

Really nice job and great result.

Enjoy.

John

I flew it!!

Hi Guys
I flew my RV4 today!!
The acceleration during take off was surprising!
Yesterday I did my BFR in a Super Decathlon and it performed well 180 hp /CS
I think my 4 pulls just as hard on take off.
I went around the patch once performed a 3-point for my friends, did the photo shoot.
My right mag is non-op, its going back fed-ex on Monday
I am happy about flying

Mags

Steve
I have dual P-Mags. Since they are a new company their product will have some growing pains. By purchasing the product I am accepting a small amount of inconvenience for their innovation. New innovations take time and I am sure that our standard magnetos that we all take for granted required years of development to become as reliable as they are. That said , I am happy with the mags performance so far. the drop between them is less then 25 rpm and starting is just like a car. for some reason the right mag is non-op. I am sending both mags back to be repaired or replaced.
I will let everyone know the out come. Thanks Steve

Electroair Ignition...

Dayton, Just a plug for longevity, my Jeff Rose (Electroair) Electronic Ignition has been flawless for 1500 hours and a better system and service after the sale than Lightspeed.

Worth a consideration...

Rob Ray

www.electroair.net

Back