What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How are you spending your dash!

Aden Rich

Well Known Member
The Dash is poem that was read at my late stepmom's funeral service. She was only 56 when she passed away from Auto Immune disease. It was describing the time that is between when you are born and when you die which is represented by a dash on your grave headstone. It was a very clever poem that summed up one's life by the dash. In the end it asked a very simple question "How are you spending your dash". It made me think of all the things I've done with my life and all the people I have the pleasure of meeting and knowing. Being a homebuilder and a Rv'er, I think we get to spend our dash pretty well. I would like to see how other people are spending their dash. Here's mine!
Born Aden Gene Rich: December 2, 1973 to Beryl Gene Rich and Christine Ann Walton in Portland Oregon.
1. Spent first four years in La Center, Washington where I love to go flying with my dad in his Piper Pacer. Went to Canada, on fishing trips in this airplane. I remember sitting on my sleeping bag looking out at the mountains going by at 4 years old. These are some of the first memories I have. I remember not being able to go when I was three and standing at the end of the runway watching my Dad and brother take off with out me. Mom says that was four long days until Dad and brother got back!
2. From five to fourteen I lived in Hockinson, Washington where I went to school, rode my motorcyle until the sun went down in the woods, played GI Joe out in the woods, fished all the local streams and ponds, depleted the local frog population capturing frogs, played capture the flag at night, went sledding during the winter, built tree houses, climbed lots of trees, irratated the neighbors, played baseball and soccer, and watch WWF wrestling on TV on Sat. morning.
3. Fourteen to eighteen, went to highschool, played varsity baseball and went to All State. Learned about girls!!!! Worked during the summer to get a car and learned how to drive.
4. Eighteen to twenty-two, went to college. Played varsity baseball, really learned about girls. Got a degree in Accounting and Finance. Learned that my parents weren't really so dumb after all.
5. Twenty-two to Thrity three. Graduated from college, got a job, got married to my wife Gretta.Helped my Dad build 6 RV's! Built a RV-6, RV-4 and help a friend build an RV-4 and a RV-6. Flew my 6 to Canada where I used to go fishing and sold it and flew it back to Ont, Canada. Bought a house and had two kids, Ava (3) and Auna (1). Having my 7th wedding anniversary this year and now working on a Rocket EVO.

Something I learned by Mary's passing. Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff! Have as much fun as you can. Be nice, even when it's hard. Accept others for who they are, not what you want them to be. Appreciate everyday, even when it's not going so well. Most of all, family is more important than airplanes, money, and worldly possesions. Treasure your spouse, your children, family, and your time here on Earth. I feel very blessed that I got to do all that I have and I don't think I've been spending my dash poorly!

very well thanks

You are obviously content with all life has given you - me too! 50 years working in aerospace, retired with my own RV-6A and good health. I think the dash needs a challenge and building and testing RVs will provide that. Think about making your latest creation as fast as you can make it and enter the AirVenture Cup air race then refine it to get more speed the following year. Maybe I'll see you in Dayton, I'll be the old guy with the dark blue/red/white RV-6A race #71.

I think Doug may have some kind of bio provision in the member database. I think that is what may be of interest to you

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The dash-literally

Bob,
Very nice reply. I will be making the dash-for speed. My dad has a Rocket and I will obviously have to kick his butt when we race. I look forward to some of these air races and maybe even the Bronze sport race a Reno. Thanks, Aden.

The "dash"

I googled it and here's what I found. Not the most eloquent prose, but certainly thought provoking.

I read of a man who stood to speak, at the funeral of his friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone, from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth, and spoke of the second with tears.
But he said that what mattered most of all, was the dash between the years.

For that dash represents all the time, that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her, know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;the cars, the house, the cash.
What matters is how we live and love, and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard, are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left, (you could be at the "dash mid-range".)

If we could just slow down enough to consider, what's true and what's real.
And always try to understand, the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more.
And love the people in our lives, like we'd never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect, and more often wear a smile.
Remembering that this special dash, might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read, with your life's actions to rehash..
would you be pleased with the things they have to say, about how you spent your dash?

Back