What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Countersinking technique

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Hi gang, I thought this picture might be worth sharing...it's my simple solution of how to easily counter-sink those trailing edges. Straight down on the table doesn't work becuase the c-sink cage hits the table and therefore is not at the correct angle. Holding the trailing edge on the edge of the workbench was too much of a pain. Holding both the drill and trailing edge above the table got to be too tiring for the arms. This way seemed to work really well. Anyway, thanks for reading. -Jim

Hmmm

Now that's the finest example of southern engineering I've seen in quite a while :D

Hey, whatever works!

Countersink in drill press

Or, you can mount the countersink in a drill press, swing the table out of the way, hold the wedge horizontally in you hands, and lift it upward against the countersink cage.

Drill press caution...

I went the drill press route, but I didn't slow it down enough. With the drill press always on while countersinking a bunch of holes, and stopping the cage from spinning (so it wouldn't mar the work) - the grease inside the countersink cage overheated.

Pretty messy when it leaked out. I had to replace the grease. Next time, much (much much) slower! Good luck!

I actually did my rudder AEX by holding it in my left hand and drilling with the right. Keep a finger on either side of the hole being countersunk and there is no flexure to worry about. Worked like a dream. Just don't get in a rush.

Countersinking AEX

I routed a squared side trough 1/4" wide in the table top and then set the "V" edge into the top so the table edge undercut the top of the V and then used a small clamp to hold the trailing edge of the AEX to the table. This gave a nearly flat surface to countersink into. I notice that chatter can occur with or without the single hole countersinks when I did the reverse side that I had previously countersunk

I placed my TE's at the edge of the table to match drill. Then to C/S the wedge, I just clecoed it to the table. The holes in the table kept the C/S from wiggling around in the hole; it went fast and came out nice. Simple.

Back