What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

moving -6A in enclosed U-Haul truck

OneCharlieKilo

Well Known Member
I have to move my RV project about 700 miles to the San Jose area in a couple weeks. Project is on the gear with engine installed.
I measured a U-Haul truck of the size I plan to use and it looks like the main gear will fit through the door (just barely) and have a little room to spare inside the truck. Wings will go up against the sides, leading edge down on padding/blankets.

Anybody moved your project a long distance on the gear this way, and have any advice/comments on preventing damage in transit?

Thanks for your coments!

Chris Hand
RV-6A, #23559

Shipping

Chris we have moved many "resale kits" across the country now and it works fine. They ride very nice on the gear. Just secure everything and drive careful.

No........

Hi Chris,
We moved our 6A from Texas to Georgia in the back of a big U-haul and if Tony had been around then, there's no way I'd do it again. Call Mr. Partain and be worry free.......it'd be a shame to ding your wings or anything else for that matter. You'll be surprised at the cost of having him do it. U-hauls ain't cheap,
Regards,

ps. There's nothing in it for me to recommend Tony Partain other than many testimonies from satisfied customers.

Use Tony!

I moved an RV-7 fuse and wings for a relocation from San Jose to Seattle and I had looked at prices between renting a U-Haul and contracting Tony. Prices should be competitive and you don't have to drive one of the worn-out U-haul truck all day. His trailers are set up to move aircraft for all the appropriate tie-downs and blankets, as well as a the low floor height. Even at a premium, this is the way to go.

Jim
(Another satisfied Partain customer)

Hey Chris,
I need to move my plane in the San Jose area in the same timeframe. I just sent an email to Partain -- maybe he'll give us a good rate if we can string together a couple of jobs for him.

Several local builders have had QB's delivered by him -- have heard nothing but good things.

Paul

PS: join us at EAA 338 when you get to San Jose, 2nd tues of each month, 7:30PM, RHV terminal.

Last edited:
I moved my partially completed 9A from Colorado to SoCal in a Ryder truck-what a harrowing experience that was. Every bump and weird noise had me worried about what was going on in the box. Worst thing was opening the door when I finally arrived at Cable airport to find the steel door track had come off between Kingman AZ and Upland CA. Thankfully the damage was minor-tiny dent in my wing trailing edge and dented right side of my firewall.Could have been much worse! Rental and fuel cost was $1300 with a discount in 2003.

Moved an RV9A QB from Tenn

We just moved an RV9A quick build from Chattanooga to Tucson w/no damage. We welded a frame over my car trailer and encased it in OSB. The principle factors that contributed to NO damage was we listened to friends who buy aircraft for salvage. The fuse was mounted on short legs about 4" off the floor of the trailer. The legs were bolted to the trailer so it couldn't move. However, the tail of the fuse rested on foam but was tied left and right so it would stay in place. In other words, the aft end of the fuse floated.

Wings were suspended on the perimeter of the trailer but encased in foam. It looked more like a sling. Foam separated the wings from the fuse. The slings kept the wings off the floor of the trailer which would have dented the **** out of them.

Tail had an overhead shelf to itself.

Bottom line? Zero damage. I tried to insert a pic so you could see the inside of the trailer. No doubt you can do the same thing with a U-Haul.

If the photo doesn't come thru, contact me offline and I will send you all the photos you need to duplicate our trailer.

Long distance move.

I moved my RV-4 from Phoenix to Vancouver BC. I tied the fuse down securely. The wings were store flat on the floor and the tail components were in a rack or tied to the the truck side with padding. I also had an 0-320 on its pallet that was secured to the floor. The truck was a 27' with a ramp.
Not a single ding in the 3 day drive. Good luck with your move.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the advice. I've got other non-airplane stuff I want to move in the u-haul with the plane so will need to go with that method, although I have heard nothing but good things about Mr Partain's services - and thank you for the response Tony, how they handle the ride while on the gear was one of my concerns. Will tie down & pad everything as best I can!

Paul - might not be able to make August, but do plan to join the local EAA chapter. I look forward to meeting you.

Chris Hand

Back