What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing or Empennage First?

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I just received confirmation from Van's that my wing and empennage kits shipped last week. They should arrive in a day or two. Which one should I build first? I have reviewed the wing plans already. I also have followed the progress of other builders who have completed the wing. I feel confident about building the wing based upon their experience.
It appears Van's envisioned that the empennage would be the "starter" kit. Any thought on which one to build first? I have no sheet metal experience. I have worked in the past as a machinist and currently build furniture for fun. Working with my hands or reading blue prints is not an issue. I have a well equipped shop and all the tools I will need. Storage is not a big issue either, since I will be building it in my Hangar. Should I start with the wing as I planned in Sept, or start with the tail?

Tail

I would start with the tail and build experience for the wings. Replacement parts for the empennage are cheaper then the wing. You gotta build the tail sometime.

There is NO good reason to start with the wing. I read your post and understand that you have experience with mechanical things, but I absolutely guarantee you will make mistakes. It's a whole lot better and cheaper to make them on the tail. Think about this: what part of a plane does everybody look at when they first walk up to it? Yup, the wing. A couple of botched rivets on the tail will never be noticed, but you'll see em on the wing every time you clear a turn. Also, if you lose interest halfway through the tail, no big deal. A half done wing is kind of a big mistake to sell off. Trust Van's advice on this one.

Mark,
I am also building a -12 in my hanger. I started with the wings, because that was all that I had to work on. However, I would still start with the wings. You have been reviewing the wing plans and following along with everyones progress on the web, and I assume that you have looked at the corrections and mistakes that eveyone has made and posted to this forum. So, now that you have all that information fresh in your head you should go ahead and build your wings. Plus, by the time you have finished your wings, Jim Cone will have figured out all the mistakes in the tail kit. Good luck with your build.
Bruce
Builder #120113

Mark,
I am also building a -12 in my hanger. I started with the wings, because that was all that I had to work on. However, I would still start with the wings. You have been reviewing the wing plans and following along with everyones progress on the web, and I assume that you have looked at the corrections and mistakes that eveyone has made and posted to this forum. So, now that you have all that information fresh in your head you should go ahead and build your wings. Plus, by the time you have finished your wings, Jim Cone will have figured out all the mistakes in the tail kit. Good luck with your build.
Bruce
Builder #120113

I disagree.
There are reasons other than it being the cheapest kit that the emp./tail cone kit was meant to be first. Doesn't mean it has to be first, just better if it is first.
Besides...By the time Mark gets a head of steam up with building, Jim will be done with the empenage and well into the tail cone. A first time novice builder can complete the vertical stabilizer (the first major assembly to be worked on) in a leisurely weekend.

Sorry if the statement to follow sounds a bit over the top but,
"If builders are willing to trust Van's in all of the other design issues of an RV-12, shouldn't they be willing to trust them with a designed/recommended assembly process also?"

Ok...now that I got that off my chest...I recommend that you do what Van's recommends (but each builder of course has teh right to do what they think is best).

Tail First

Even with your mechanicial experience, If you haven't built before, I would build the tail first.

The primary reason; the way the build instructions are written. The tail kit instructions take you by the hand in a very "step-by-step" approach. They talk you through each step and give good pointers that are not apparent by just reviewing the plans. This approach serves as an indoctrination into the way the RV is designed and intended to be built. As you get near the completion of the empennage build, the instructions start to become less verbose. When you get to the wing instructions, the expectation is that you understand the Vans build method and there is less hand-holding.

My second reason for recommending the tail first is that it takes less time. There is a great feeling of accomplishment in completing that first kit. It will give you the motivation needed to work on all those blasted wing ribs!

One last thing... I have learned during my build that Van's plans are very efficiently drawn. There is not much "extra" information on the drawings. If its on the plans, its important. If its not on the plans, its probably not that important.

Just my 2 cents. The beauty of it is that you get to decide how you want to proceed.

Happy building!

Last edited:
Many of of us (hundreds) received the wing back in june and july (nothing else available) and finished it in 5 or 6 weeks while we waited on the fuselage. You can do it either way...don't worry about it. The instructions alone are super. Its all about having fun doing it isn't it? You can't help but enjoy this kit..all the sections are a another exciting adventure. Have a ball.

Pete

Back