What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting over AKZO primer

Vansrv7arob

Well Known Member
I'm priming everything inside and out with AKZO primer, how long can I leave it before top coating and what should I do before painting light sand? Light recoat and then top coat?

Some parts have been primed 6 months ago.

Any comments or advice of others experiences with similar or expertise in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rob

Since you have parts that were coated 6 months ago, the next coat cannot chemically bond to the surface. If you paint over the primer as-is, your top coat will scratch very easily and flake off. At this point you will need to mechanically bond the topcoat to the underlying primer. The best way to do this is to lightly rub the surface with 3M Scotchbrite 7447 (maroon) abrasive pads. You want to knock off the sheen of the surface of the primer and make it appear dull. This provides an anchor pattern for the top coat. Done this way the topcoat will properly adhere. I've painted two airplanes and this method has worked well for me. Good luck with your project!

Hi Rob

Since you have parts that were coated 6 months ago, the next coat cannot chemically bond to the surface. If you paint over the primer as-is, your top coat will scratch very easily and flake off. At this point you will need to mechanically bond the topcoat to the underlying primer. The best way to do this is to lightly rub the surface with 3M Scotchbrite 7447 (maroon) abrasive pads. You want to knock off the sheen of the surface of the primer and make it appear dull. This provides an anchor pattern for the top coat. Done this way the topcoat will properly adhere. I've painted two airplanes and this method has worked well for me. Good luck with your project!

Do the above with the pads soaked in MEK.

The MEK will slightly soften the surface of the Akzo primer helping adhesion. I know this process has been used on several Oshkosh winners....:)

Thank you Jim & Gill,
Is there any special prep I should do to the unprimed rivet heads or the powder coated parts apart from the rub down?
If your ever down under be sure to give me a call and I'll be sure to sort you out with what ever you need, leave it too long and I'll be able to take you flying in the 7.

Reviving an old thread, as search didnt reveal an answer...

Question: As a follow on to Gils answer above, what top coat paint is compatible with Akzo as the primer base? I dont want to strip the Akzo and dont want to recoat with another primer.

I'd like to do the mek prep (as noted) and do the top coat(s) and done.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Last edited:
Akzo

Reviving and old thread, as search didnt reveal an answer...

Question: As a follow on to Gils answer above, what top coat paint is compatible with Akzo as the primer base? I dont want to strip the Akzo and dont want to recoat with another primer.

Personally, I would scuff first. Wash thoroughly then wipe quickly with a solvent. The scuff will provide mechanical adhesion. The solvent might soften enough for chemical adhesion but either way, the paint will stick. As far as compatibility, since the epoxy has cured, virtually any topcoat will work. Best to ask the tech support to be certain.

Reviving an old thread, as search didnt reveal an answer...

I simply used Water Based (WB) JetFlex as an interior paint.

The AKZO is almost bullet proof once it has cured and you don't stand much chance of stripping it off. :)

I simply used Water Based (WB) JetFlex as an interior paint.

The AKZO is almost bullet proof once it has cured and you don't stand much chance of stripping it off. :)

Thanks Gil. I have literally years of experience with Akzo as a primer, just not as the base for a top coat. I love the stuff. And Ive had to remove my fair share of it as well, in some cases inorder to polish what was painted. Plenty doable, but yes only by mechanical means.

I hear you guys saying that once AKZO is cured its basically inert and you can put any paint over it you want, cutting the surface and/or using Mek to make the bond.

Is that the bottom line here?

Thanks Gil. I have literally years of experience with Akzo as a primer, just not as the base for a top coat. I love the stuff. And Ive had to remove my fair share of it as well, in some cases inorder to polish what was painted. Plenty doable, but yes only by mechanical means.

I hear you guys saying that once AKZO is cured its basically inert and you can put any paint over it you want, cutting the surface and/or using Mek to make the bond.

Is that the bottom line here?

Yes, I think so. However I only used the WB JetFlex stuff as a top-coat.

Back