What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Canyon Adventure

genelee59

Photos from my flight out to (and over) the Grand Canyon in my RV-7a

Click here for all the pictures and the story
http://www.thehdpilot.com/blog-article.aspx?id=37

275-GC-GrandCanyon4.JPG

Great report! I hope to make a similar flight in April. I was just looking at the Special Flight Rules Area yesterday thinking you'd almost have to make waypoints for the corridors. (really nothing else to go by unless you were really familiar with the area)

Where there many tourist helicopters flying? A couple years ago I was visiting at Lake Las Vegas and the tourist helicopters were literally non stop overhead.

I don't remember seeing helicopters, other than coming and going right around the airport. Even then there were only a couple of them. Planes on the other hand were coming and going non-stop out of the airport.
But once I was at altitude and on my GPS Coordinates course I didn't notice any other planes. As you've probably noticed already, the flight paths for commercial operations are on the other side of the map and there's a lot of separation between them and us.

One other thing that I forgot to point out in my trip report is that everyone was repeatedly advising me to get the crossing done well-before noon due to turbulence that develops over the canyon. I got there around 11am and was worried I'd taken too much time at Sedona and the crater, but the flight was surprisingly smooth even at that time. Maybe I just got lucky that day

Excellent travel report! I am inspired to get back into the basement and get mine ready for flight this summer.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Back