What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank quick drain valves

jaredyates

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Fellow builders, I'm shopping for some quick-drain fuel tank valves. In years past I've always used the Saf-air types, but it looks like they have decided to make the valves non-rebuildable. This isn't entirely clear on their website, and it may not be true. They have conflicting information. Does anyone know of any competing products that are available for a 1/8 npt thread, preferably in a flush form factor?

Aircraft Spruce also has those direct replacement valves and the little O-ring that seals the tip so you can rebuild it. When one of mine started a small weep, I bought a complete valve as well as an O-ring to rebuild the old valve. I have the rebuilt drain valve tucked away in my spare parts drawer in case I ever need one ready-to-go. Somebody else on this forum recommended this, as you can do the old Indiana Jones move and swap out the old one and replace it with a new one without draining the tank. It works...but wear safety glasses just in case it gets messy.

As far as the flush form factor...yeah, there's drag associated with cylindrical items in the airstream, but I can't imagine that it's that much drag to be significant. But do what makes you happy.

Quick drains....

I have the rebuilt drain valve tucked away in my spare parts drawer in case I ever need one ready-to-go.

I have two sizes in my tool bag in the airplane: one size for the quick drain in the wings, one size for the gascolator. Nothing like being 6 hours from home on a Sunday and springing a leak....:eek:

Thanks for the help, in this case drag isn't the consideration for the flush mount, but rather clearance. It sounds like there aren't any obvious alternatives, which may explain why saf-air wasn't concerned about making their valves disposable.

So now I'm wondering why we use the CAV-110.

Finn

Because it gets more water out. If you look at the pics from the link above, the drain holes will be 1/4-3/8" above the bottom of the tank. If you do have water, those will leave a good amount of it in your tank after draining.

Larry

He asked specifically for 1/8 NPT thread.. if you put these in a hole that is threaded for pipe thread, you’ll have a mess on your hands.

Since when is 1/8 NPT not a pipe thread?? A little more detail please.

Back