What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting trim tab hinge

KellyA

On my RV8 I’m am having so much trouble with this trim tab, I want to pull my hair out. I’m getting through, just slowing myself down and taking one step at a time. My problem now is when riveting the hinge to the trim tab I use the pneumatic rivet gun with flat head and bucking bar. By doing this it knocks the hinge wire holders out of alignment and in some cases it squished them to the point where I couldn’t fit the hinge wire into the holes. With patience and time I got the tab side done and forced the wire through the hinge with a hammer. Now I have to rivet the elevator side of the hinge flange. What can I use that won’t alter the alignment of the hinges and wire?

Hinges

Always try to rivet hinge materials with both sides pinned. At least use the pin in the section to be riveted. Modify dies to clear or use close quarters dies.

Tool

I used this tool and hit it with a hammer to set the rivets. The hinge eyes fit in the notch. The idea came from one of the RVator magazines.

Attachments

• 20220616_084040.jpg
    20220616_084040.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 138
I feel for you KelleyA. I don’t know why but riveting that hinge material was a fight for me through my whole build.

Yea make sure you keep the hinge pieces together when riveting the first side. And also when drilling the other. Also a good technique is to sand or file one end of the pin into a point so that it is easier for it to slide into the next notch. If it goes it with too much trouble you might find that the tab doesn’t pivot smoothly enough. Ask me how I know that!:)

I just built a trim tab and elevator for an RV-14A. It is good to have a wide variety of squeezer sets. I found that I needed to add a thin washer under the set to clear the hinge eyes. The next size set was too tall and was hitting the other side of the tab spar.

Get the right tools and save yourself the frustration.

Back