What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Without the Panel

Pfatt2

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture from the seat of their RV6 without the panel installed? I am not a builder but I need to see what things will get in the way in a panel upgrade.

Thank you!

~m

You could also refer to Van's drawings, which you should have a set of anyway. If not, Van's is now nice enough to provide a pdf copy for free if you sign up for an account there with your 6's serial number.

Bigger question is what goes in the panel.
Put in an 10" HDX and you will be removing a panel support rib on the pilot side for sure. Put in two and you will be removing both the panel support ribs.
If you want a glove box it really messes with the layout on the copilot side.
Need to figure out the new supports.
The ribs are 6" deep so your audio panel will probably need to be cut through the rear bulk head behind the panel.
You need to know WHAT is going in before you can get a handle as to what the needs are and how you're going to do what ever.
Your luck may vary. Art

Attachments

• IMG_1266[1].jpg
    IMG_1266[1].jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Panel - Sliding canopy

Here are a few pictures of behind the panel for a sliding canopy. The first picture is the back of the panel looking up, showing the three ribs, one in the centre and two that are 9 inches either side. They are about 2 inches deep where they contact the panel so you cannot mount anything in the panel at these places.
The second picture is of the sub-panel where you can see the three ribs bisect about one third of the way down.
The third pic is from the pilot seat without the top skin on.

Attachments

• 20220322_132312.jpg
    20220322_132312.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220322_132400.jpg
    20220322_132400.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220322_145324.jpg
    20220322_145324.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Need "a little help from ya" to answer

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture from the seat of their RV6 without the panel installed? I am not a builder but I need to see what things will get in the way in a panel upgrade.

Thank you!

~m

I have an RV6 tip up (which I am working on in the panel area -another upgrade) and an RV6A slider (forever build) that has nothing in it.

So, some quick questions.
1. As mentioned, tip up or slider? They are VERY different.
2. What do you want to accomplish? You can make almost anything work.

The tip up has gone from the 1990's round gauges to various instances or EFIS (in my case the GRT stuff). Tedious to do after the fact but possible obviously.

The slider has had three (3) different panel approaches (metal and composite) ... that and several other "inventions" is why it is a "forever build").

Will gladly share, just need more direction.

Here s mine while I was removing the wiring for a rebuild. I have a slider canopy.

Attachments

• E3B8A58E-5F64-4202-BFEE-3FC0365D1C1C.jpeg
    E3B8A58E-5F64-4202-BFEE-3FC0365D1C1C.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 86
Panel attach angle?

Here s mine while I was removing the wiring for a rebuild. I have a slider canopy.

The panel attachment details in this picture look different to mine, which has 3/4" angle all around the edge of the panel and riveted to the glare shield. There are about 20 or so anchor nuts and screws that afix the panel to the angle on the glare shield. Just wondering why there is a difference? Do you perhaps have a different type of panel to the one that came in the kit?

Back