What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I looking for a rare bird?

Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum (posted an intro in the general section a few weeks ago).

After some research and talking to a few of the real experts (Ron Schreck & Vic Syracuse), I think I might be a good candidate for an RV, specifically an RV-8A.

I am not in a position to build, so I'm looking for a flying aircraft built to a very high standard (want to feel comfortable about the structure when fixing whatever maneuver I've made a mess of :)).

As I am hoping to do aerobatics as well as all the other things the RV does so well, I am looking for an RV-8 (ideally an 8A) with a fuel injected engine and hopefully also a CS prop. So IO-360 or AEIO-360 with CS in an RV-8A.

Questions:

- Is this a rare combination?
- What is the best way of finding such a beastie? (I have posted in the classifieds, but those move quickly - no response yet).
- Realistically should I plan on a year or two to find my aircraft?

I would love to hear tips, suggestions and thoughts about finding the "perfect" (which I know doesn't exist) aircraft for me.
I have already decided to have Vic do the pre-buy - I know this is a critical step when I get to it.

Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge on these forums.

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum (posted an intro in the general section a few weeks ago).

After some research and talking to a few of the real experts (Ron Schreck & Vic Syracuse), I think I might be a good candidate for an RV, specifically an RV-8A.

I am not in a position to build, so I'm looking for a flying aircraft built to a very high standard (want to feel comfortable about the structure when fixing whatever maneuver I've made a mess of :)).

As I am hoping to do aerobatics as well as all the other things the RV does so well, I am looking for an RV-8 (ideally an 8A) with a fuel injected engine and hopefully also a CS prop. So IO-360 or AEIO-360 with CS in an RV-8A.

Questions:

- Is this a rare combination?
- What is the best way of finding such a beastie? (I have posted in the classifieds, but those move quickly - no response yet).
- Realistically should I plan on a year or two to find my aircraft?

I would love to hear tips, suggestions and thoughts about finding the "perfect" (which I know doesn't exist) aircraft for me.
I have already decided to have Vic do the pre-buy - I know this is a critical step when I get to it.

Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge on these forums.

Not necessarily a rare aircraft per se, but they do come up for sale from time to time. You have to watch here and several other sites and be prepared to instantly put a contingency deposit that day. A pristine RV-8 will sell quickly and command top dollar. I've see some of the ones with advanced panels sell upwards toward mid six figures. You just need to be the first guy in line with cash in hand.

I've also seen aircraft sold at OSH with cold offers to folks that weren't intending on selling, but with the right price, anything is for sale.

If you are looking for a bargain, those truly will be rare or not meet your requirements. Most likely there is a reason they aren't selling for top dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

Thanks for the responses.
I'm not too worried about the panel - as long as the price reflects a fair value. I'm happy to upgrade the nice to have stuff over time.
What can't be easily upgraded is the core build, so that's where I'll focus.

Can Jay Pratt help me even if I'm not able to build? I don't really know anything about him, just thought he was a builder assistance guy who helps folk finish off their projects???

Thanks for the responses.

--- snip ---

Can Jay Pratt help me even if I'm not able to build? I don't really know anything about him, just thought he was a builder assistance guy who helps folk finish off their projects???

Jay knows a lot of people and is a good source of info for an RV-8A like you are looking for before it gets put on the market. He may be able to locate one for you.

Great - thank you for the help, I have sent Jay an email (went to voicemail when I called - great message on his VM :) ).

Find the plane you want at the right price and then modify it into the plane you need.

If you find an -8(A) with an O-360 and hollow crank, you can convert it to a constant speed prop and add fuel injection, inverted fuel and oil, and whatever else you want.

This is not a "Certified" plane, so making such changes is fairly easy to do.

As for the -8A thing, there really aren't many out there as most people who want an -8 go for the taildragger version.

Don't be afraid of the little wheel in the back, getting your endorsement is fairly easy and after 10 hours you will be comfortable and after a 100 hours you will wonder what the fuss was about.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more re the conventional U/C version of the 8, far better looking and they really are a pussycat to handle, a lot of drivers are nervous about a conventional U/C plane, there's no need to be! The 8 is Vans best design I reckon as long as the little wheel is in the right place & has an IO360 CS, they just fly oh so nice:)

Don't get an A

As Ripper recently said

..."I told my wife I was a nosewheel pilot....she said we'd both see other men"...

lol

Seriously, 5-8 hrs of transition is fine and believe me, there's no limitation on the tailwheel -8. I fly mine just fine in crosswinds that have -182 pilots on the ground trembling. It's just not a problem.

and much more manly.

I may end up with an 8 as I'm not finding any 8A's with injected engines. Guess I might be able to learn to fly a tailwheel if I had to :)

Funny, when I bought my -8A I had the same requirements as you but reversed.

I wanted an -8 but couldn't find the right engine/prop/build quality combination so I ended up with an 8A.

So if you're willing to be patient, I'd say there's an ebb and flow to for sale listings and eventually the right one will come along.

But once you start flying, I'm pretty sure you'll be thrilled with the little wheel at either end :D

(I certainly am) :):)

i-BM3wnCZ.gif

Last edited:
I may end up with an 8 as I'm not finding any 8A's with injected engines. Guess I might be able to learn to fly a tailwheel if I had to :)

Go for the proper version, you won't regret it and you'll be loved more:D
Life's too short to be scared:D

Hello everyone.
Where are you looking. Many RV's sell local, so put out feelers. There are regional RV groups you might tap into.

Conventional vs Trike - As far as tail daggers go, the RV's are very docile. If you have tail wheel time you will find the RV TD's easy to fly (takeoff and land). 'A' models are fine, but I much prefer the TD.

RV-4's go for less and fly wonderfully, but they are all TD's.

CS Prop and FI are good things to have. Of the two CS prop would be first. My RV7 has a carb and it works well. You don't need FI for acro, unless you do sustained negative G's. Then you need inverted fuel and oil systems. Of course Acro from does not need inverted systems, as lot's of fun can be had on the PLUS side of Zero.

Recommend you have some RV "expert" (at least a RV owner/builder) take a look at it. Depending on time and experience get some transition training, even in a side by side. Insurance may even require some time in type training. You may want to look into that. Hull insurance on experimental's can be high. Liability is not too bad.

As said earlier, being first with the money is important. So get your finances in order. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
gmcjetpilot
Thanks for the suggestions and info.
Your advice confirms what I've heard from some others - I'm watching those websites, have posted an message on the VAF Classifieds etc. I've also contacted Vic about doing a pre-buy when I find a good candidate.

I haven't had any luck finding a local RV group, but I'm hoping to get my first RV ride this week in a 7A.

I'm not sure how long I should expect to be looking for the right aircraft, but I'm ready to buy when it does come along.
I am a little concerned about putting down a deposit on a plane sight-unseen, but it sounds like others have done this without getting burned. I really can't afford to mess this up, so I would tend to be more hesitant about just leaping in before getting some strong indication that it is a good aircraft.

Thanks again to everyone who so generously contributes their knowledge and experience to those of us just starting the RV journey.

Ed Wischmeyer had a -8 for sale at KSAV but it has an O320. Not sure on the prop.

Back