What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount wear due to cables

KatieB

Well Known Member
I found a few wear marks on the engine mount as I was taking the engine off the other day. There were PVC (I think) plastic shrouds around the cables in the areas contacting the mount to prevent them from rubbing, but it looks like they didn't do much good. I don't know if there was just a lot of grit that got down in between there or what.

This wear mark is after 450 hours of operation. I think it's just through the powdercoat, but I won't know til I clean it up some. There is a corresponding flat spot on the plastic. There are a few more spots like this as well.

So I post this as a caution to people who might think having the plastic protectors is all you need. And, I'd like to know if there's a better alternative that might not wear so badly. Is there a better material to use for this, or should I just be careful to keep the thing cleaner?

0206161218.jpg

Grit

Same thing with zip ties. Relative motion and grit will do that.
I try to strap down anything that could move (rub). Also have a habit of placing a loop of Silicon tape on any surface before I strap something to it unless I am using an Adel clamp.
Time will tell if that was a good idea or not:rolleyes:

I'm guessing that examination will show that the engine mount is fine Katie - but certainly check it to your satisfaction. For a crossing like that, I'd wrap the mount tube in silicone table, put a cable tie aroudn it, then loop another cable tie through the first at 90 degrees to the first to wrap around the control cable. That will add a touch of separation and also get rid of the relative motion. An Adel combination would better better, but sometimes the slack just isn't there to make that work.

Good suggestions.

As for cleaning this thing up, does anyone have experience with a good durable spray paint that's close to the Van's light gray powdercoat color?

Katie,
I wound up with a bottle of touch up paint in the color you want at the end of my build. Came from Vans. Take a look on their online catalog. That's bound to be where I got it.

OK, thanks. I'll check it out. I need a few other things from Van's too. Lord Mounts :eek::eek: and a spinner kit...

One saying I read on here a long time ago, ( if it CAN chafe, it will chafe ), thanks for the photo and a heads up!

Where I suspect that any cable that I have not secured with a hose/wrap, standoffs & zip ties... I'll put a blob of rtv on it between the cable & the mount. Sort of like a big wad of bazooka gum. :D
This prevents any move movement that may occur against the mount area.

Adel to Adel

I agree with others if any way possible the best way is an adel clamp on the engine mount and another small one on the cable and both clamped together.
Good luck!

Cable rubbing mount

Ditto what Dan said, exactly what I did when I can't get an adel clamp close. Blob of RTV in affected spot- been there for years & no rubs

Katie,

I will second Bobby's suggestion. Adel clamps are an excellent solution...just look at the one at the bottom of the picture. Bring that one higher and rotate it 90 degrees, then bolt the second clamp to it to secure the cable. Needle nose pliers and patience will help get the screw and nut together!

Jim

A few years ago I was very involved with rebuilds of crashed S2B Pitts aircraft. The factory at every location on the fuselage frame, where a tie wrap or adel clamp went, they first wrapped with colored PVC tape
(electrical tape). The thought was it would prevent the nylon tie wrap from eventually cutting through the 4130 tubes. I have seen pictures of a nylon tie wrap doing exactly that: cutting the tubing part way through.

Baffle material

I used silicone baffle material to wrap the area the I wanted extra insulation. Usually use a #11 Adel, used a 12 after a single layer of the baffle material. I would think it less likely to slip then on electrical tape.

So if there is slight wear found on an engine mount tube, like from exaust pipes, can the worn spot be built up by welding?

When using cable ties around a tube, I always slip a length of heat shrink tube over the tie wrap. This kinda gives a cushion between the tube and tie wrap. Have never had a problem with this wearing the paint or tube. Of course every time you have the cowling off for oil change, a close inspection of everything strapped to the engine mount should be done .

Back