What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damaged skin

Jgrindol

I'm New Here
I purchased a tail mostly done but am finishing trim tab, leading edges, etc. I noticed this small ding on the leading edge of the left elevator. It is to be rolled and riveted. what is the proper procedure to repair and prevent future cracks?

142p34.jpg

Appears to be minor from the photo's. That location is not prone to cracking nor is the damage near a hole. I would knock this down, gently, with a mushroom set and a back rivet plate or bucking bar, file the edge gently and deburr.
If that edge has already been broken, which it appears it might have been, you may not be able to use the above technique. You could however use your edge tool again and roll over it, gently, until it is back into reasonable shape. You could also try a hand seamer, but be warned, they are not as easy to use as they seem (seam)ha!
Always approach sheet metal repairs with a gentle touch. Work them out a step at a time.

Thanks JonJay,
That was my plan, but the metal is cracked as well. Would this be one of those places I should drill the end of the crack or just Debur as you suggested. Just don't want a small issue to be a bigger problem later.

If that is the edge that folds under the other skin would it be ok just to trim the damaged area back past the crack and debur? I'm not a builder yet but if the skin is covered by the other skin I would think there would be no problem.

Joe,
I had the same idea, but unfortunately it is on the wrong side (the top side) so hiding it wasn't an option. Rolling it over worked well, but am still looking for some insight in whether to drill the end of the crack or not. Hanging elevators today!

It needs to be either trimmed back or stop drilled, one or the other. I would be inclined to trim it back. Whether top or overlapped, you won't see it once it is painted and installed. That overlap is not visible once attached to the rudder, at least on mine.

Joe,
I had the same idea, but unfortunately it is on the wrong side (the top side) so hiding it wasn't an option. Rolling it over worked well, but am still looking for some insight in whether to drill the end of the crack or not. Hanging elevators today!

Sorry, didn't notice the crack. As mentioned, drill it or trim it once you get it flattened out.

Back