What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Trips into Mexico, and hopefully back...?

JonJay

Well Known Member
Some neighbors and I are contemplating a trip to PV or other places of interest in Mexico after my recent (commercially flown) trip there. I have made many trips to Mexico but never flown my RV there. It is something I know has been very widely written about and executed by many here.

However, recently, the Mexican government swooped in, military style, and placed leans on dozens? hundreds? thousands? of American and Canadian owned boats, seizing them, and refusing to let them leave the country. The reason claimed was failure to obtain the proper permit, which most of the boat owners had, but they where either not there to present the paper work, there where errors in the gov. records, or for "other" reasons, their boats where seized for "not paying the proper tax".
Obviously, this causes great concern should they choose to follow up this practice at airports.
For now, my Mexico trip planning is on hold until I see how they resolve this conflict.

In the 1980s I went several times to Mexico when I owned a PA28 T Arrow.
I was a member of the Baja Bush Pilots organization as they provided all the information required as well as arranging group trips to Mexico..
I see that they still exist although there will have been changes over the years.
Here is a link to their organization and suggest you contact them

http://www.bajabushpilots.com/

I flew my Mooney to Cabo 3 times last year without incident. Just make sure your paperwork is in order, you have Mexican insurance, you file proper flight plans, etc. There's a thread on Baja Bush Pilots from this past week where a guy talks about a great trip he just had to PV.

Stories like that always make me feel there is more to the story.
I sailed to the Yucatan side twice. 2003 and 2005. Both times the goverment was delighted and was really working hard to develop tourism.

New Mexican regulations require pilots to submit electronic Advanced Passenger Information to the Mexican government before every flight to/from Mexico. Whether you fly a C172 or a Gulfstream V, you need to comply. Fines from the Mexican government can be $5,000 (U.S. dollars).

FLTPLAN.COM can assist you with the Mexican eAPIS

New Mexican regulations require pilots to submit electronic Advanced Passenger Information to the Mexican government before every flight to/from Mexico. Whether you fly a C172 or a Gulfstream V, you need to comply. Fines from the Mexican government can be $5,000 (U.S. dollars).

Check the extensive thread on Baja Bush Pilots on this topic. Only applies to commercial and charter ops.

This all just happened. It's great that groups and individuals have had good experiences and made many trips in the past and there are support groups to help. Thanks for all the links.
However, these people that just got their boats seized seemed to be experienced too.

This thread is about the immediate threat based on this recent news.

Last edited:
Jon Jay you mentioned in your initial post the problem was with boats.
In Mexico there are crowds of folks from the north US and Canada who go down to Mexico every year to get away from the winter. They probably have a boat based down there and use it every winter. It is most likely these people who have run foul of the Mexican authorities.
When you go by plane you are only stoping at the airport for a few days and moving on and not trying to base your plane in Mexico.

However if you are not comfortable in flying to Mexico don't go.
If a trip to say Baja interests you go join a group fly out with the Bush Pilots.

Even in the 1980s there was lots of BS spread about by people who had no first hand experience of going south of the boarder.

Seriously????

Jon Jay you mentioned in your initial post the problem was with boats.
In Mexico there are crowds of folks from the north US and Canada who go down to Mexico every year to get away from the winter. They probably have a boat based down there and use it every winter. It is most likely these people who have run foul of the Mexican authorities.
When you go by plane you are only stoping at the airport for a few days and moving on and not trying to base your plane in Mexico.

However if you are not comfortable in flying to Mexico don't go.
If a trip to say Baja interests you go join a group fly out with the Bush Pilots.

Even in the 1980s there was lots of BS spread about by people who had no first hand experience of going south of the boarder.

No assumption, ancient rumors, and strange logic with this link filed Jan 10, 2014.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-canadian-boaters-left-limbo-mexico-21484091

Check the extensive thread on Baja Bush Pilots on this topic. Only applies to commercial and charter ops.

December 31, 2013 By Alyssa J. Miller
The Mexican government is set to implement a new law requiring advanced passenger information for flights to and from the country similar to U.S. eAPIS requirements. The measure, passed in 2010, and published in Mexico?s federal register in November this year, is causing confusion among U.S. aviation companies and operators.

The regulation, as published, states that advanced passenger information (for passengers and crew) is required for all scheduled and non-scheduled international airline and maritime vessels arriving and departing Mexico and does not specify that general aviation or private flights are included in the requirement. The Mexican government?s contractor in charge of the program, Maryland-based ARINC, has indicated to AOPA that the regulation will apply to commercial and private flights. This information, however, has not been released officially or verified by the Mexican government.

AOPA is aggressively pursuing the issue on multiple fronts and working with Mexican government officials, representatives of ARINC, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials to clarify the policy. Once AOPA receives concrete information, the association will share it with pilots and provide tips for planning flights to and from Mexico.

While the effects of this program are being vetted through official channels, AOPA recommends pilots use an abundance of caution when traveling to Mexico without the aid of an international general aviation service provider or handler. The rule goes into effect Dec. 31, and no one can be certain how individual airport officials will handle implementing the new rule. AOPA offers online resources for planning flights to Mexico.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/December/31/AOPA-works-to-end-confusion-over-flights-to-Mexico.aspx

APIS in Mexico

A reminder that APIS is now required not only for US customs but now also for Mexico customs.

This is new as of last month. You will have to obtain and APIS clearance from US customs prior to departing US soil and then have an Inbound Mexican APIS approval prior to entering Mexican airspace and vise versa returning. FLTPLAN.com can provide both APIS for both countries. /read the requirement on Fltplan.com web page.... a 5000.00 fine for violation..

More paperwork..my only caution to you is as follows.
We no longer fly our corporate aircraft in to middle Mexico due to the rising problems with thieves, drug wars with the authorities. Places like Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Guernavaca, are great places to fly into and are used by US airlines. Security is great. Places like Tehuacan,Cordoba Papaloapan we hired security and now will not go there.

Mexico has some beautiful places. I hope some day we can fly into Cuba from the states VFR or over the corridor down to Jamaica which is a very doable trip in an RV from Georgia. But overflight of Cuba is only IFR now.

Jack

Last edited:
Read your Operating Limitations paragraph 21:

Also remember that your US Airworthiness Certificate is only good in the US without written permission from the country being visited.

No assumption, ancient rumors, and strange logic with this link filed Jan 10, 2014.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-canadian-boaters-left-limbo-mexico-21484091

Hmm, according to your article they inspected more than 1600 boats and found 338 non compliant. I bet the US Coast Guard finds that percentage of non compliant boats when they do sweeps like that.

Also remember that your US Airworthiness Certificate is only good in the US without written permission from the country being visited.

I fly my experimental aircraft to Mexico several times during the year. Mexico does not have a written permission program or even the capability of generating a written permission. They accept any Airworthiness Certificate, regardless of type, that is valid in the issuing country. AFAIK ever since Chile started accepting Experimental Airworthiness Certificates, the only country that still doesn't is Singapore.

PS: I am flying to Mexico (Cozumel) next week.

:cool:

Last edited:
I don't know the requirements on experimental aircraft and their A/W certificated but we go to Mexico a lot with our corporate planes and the A/W has never been an issue however you had better have the original A/W no pink copies, FCC radio license aircraft and yours, medical, and registration, and a copy of your Insurance policy stating you have insurance coverage in Mexico and if course pilot certificate. Have a statement that you have disinfected the aircraft when and how, we generally say spray. Make copies of all paperwork. Lots of them
We have been places where we were required just the required papers and other places You'd think they were wall papering the office.

We often go with out a handler such as base ops or Universal,since we have been down there so much and when we go we call the local FBO and prearrange all the in bound and out bound general decs and immigration paperwork before departing. Carry these is triplicate. Having the local handler meet you at your aircraft makes life so much easier as they will have all the immigration and other paperwork filled out. And walk you through all the inspectors. Flight plans are required at least for our operations.
Carry Greenbacks...... To pay the customary tips.... Ball caps of baseball teams is great to hand them.
I am sorry to say but it is a policy of you have the expensive plane... We're just poor gov employees and were taking advantage of you or making your lives miserable.

12 inch N numbers are suppose to be required outside of this country and I have seen on trips were US. Registered aircraft have applied Tape to do this.

We love the Manzanillo, Grand Bay, island de Navidad, area. All on the coast, with great views.

If you venture to Cuernavaca area, you notices in down town market area that a lot the streets are named after Charles Lindbergh and Ann Morrow his wife and the aircraft Spirit parts. The folks loved them and this is where they had a retirement home, Ann's father was a US diplomat there.
Jack

Last edited:
I am Mexican, and live and fly in Mexico (and many times in the US too).
I am based at MMAN (NTR) airport.
If I can be of any assistance, I'd love to help.

For the record, I'm building a SB RV-8 (wings) in my garage and it will be US registered (N511MV reserved).

Air Baja

Air Baja is not in print any more because of the problems with flying there.
The publisher said Trips by US pilots had dropped off so much that the sale of his guide book on longer makes it practical to continue printing.

Our "govment" has taken the fun out of traveling. I may not take any more trips outside our borders.

Just Go!

Flying in and out of the country is really easy. I have flown to Mexico three times and Bahamas twice. Like others have said, just make sure your insurance covers you while in Mexico. Most insurance companies will print your insurance for you in Spanish, or you can buy it through most companies for around $75 for a week or two.

Jon, I have not flown down to PV. We are going there in a few weeks but will be taking the airlines. I would like to try it someday as well. The only reason I haven't is the unknown of the weather. We book a week there and usually travel in January and February when the weather and inversions here in Salt Lake are so variable. Plus, the direct flight from Salt Lake to PV makes it so nice.

I am sure the numbers traveling to Mexico have dropped off. I think people have watched the news way too much and are scared about their safety while in the country, not the procedures. Is the news right? Not in my experience, we also are not traveling to the border cities.

Is it as easy as the "old days" to travel there? Probably not. Is it easier than filing your taxes, going to the DMV, registering an experimental in the US, or getting insurance for your plane? YES!!!
Look at how many are traveling to Bahamas on this site. In my experience they are no different. Sounds like there is a new procedure in Mexico but that will be easy to deal with I am sure.

We have a group here at our airport that does the trip every year still and it is so much fun. The people are so nice at all these locations. I probably will not make it this year due to lots of travel this January and February.

I want to be the voice to say, "GO FOR IT!" If you treat everyone with the same level of respect you expect, you will have a blast.

Yae, this doesn't look that great on second thought. I would stay home and watch American Idol;)

P1000068-L.jpg

P1000070-L.jpg

P1000159-L.jpg

P1000199-L.jpg

P1000377-L.jpg

IMG_2113-L.jpg

IMG_0251-L.jpg

IMG_2180-L.jpg

Scott, your pictures sparked so many memories of our great trip down the Baja a couple years ago, thanks. We plan to repeat it again next month but this time hop across from Cabo to Mazatlan & continue south to PV. Craving the warmth!

Sounds fun

Scott, your pictures sparked so many memories of our great trip down the Baja a couple years ago, thanks. We plan to repeat it again next month but this time hop across from Cabo to Mazatlan & continue south to PV. Craving the warmth!

Great, please let us know how that goes. We would love to do a trip like that.

Our "govment" has taken the fun out of traveling. I may not take any more trips outside our borders.

Don't include our Northern cousins in with the problems to the South.

Once you work out the eAPIS stuff a trip to Canada is easy...:)

I'm 30 miles from our Southern border and have never crossed it, but flown into Canada many times with no problems.

Hello people,

From what my peers tell me, there are basically two ways to file the Mexican eAPIS so far.
One is through fltplan.com, and from what they told me it is basically the same as filing normal US eAPIS, plus some new fields which are related to flights in and out of Mexico. So it appears that fltplan.com will walk you throughout the filing process.
The second way is through the ARINC system. Follow this link for those who already use ARINC for a complete walkthrough (other users will also benefit of knowing the process).

(If the above pdf doesn't work, shoot me a PM)

They also told me that Mexican authorities haven't really adopted this new feature, and therefore don't really care so far weather you file it or not. But the law was passed Jan. 1 and not doing it, regardless of the importance, is not worth the risk.
So, from what I understand, because this lack of information from the authorities, us pilots are lost in IMC with icing conditions all around.

I will post more updates as they become available.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Don't include our Northern cousins in with the problems to the South..

Might be your "Northern cousins" but certainly not mine. All my "cousins" are to the South. ;)

Here are some pictures of our last trip outside the US from December 13, 2013 - Jan 3, 2014.

Mayaguez (TJMZ) Puerto Rico - December 14, 2013

San Juan (TJIG) Puerto Rico - December 15, 2013

St Tomas (TIST) USVI - December 18, 2013

St Eustatius (TNCE) Dutch VI - December 19, 2013

We head out to Cozumel and El Salvador on Friday (Jan 17, 2014) for 10 days.

Last edited:
EAPIS

No luck with the link Miguel. Do you know if we can file our own EAPIS into Mexico like the system in the US, or do we have to go through a third party like flt.plan.com. Thanks for your input.
Chris

No luck with the link Miguel. Do you know if we can file our own EAPIS into Mexico like the system in the US, or do we have to go through a third party like flt.plan.com. Thanks for your input.
Chris

Hi Chris and all,

So far, only third parties (ie. ARINC & FltPlan) allow the filing of eAPIS online at a cost. In the meantime, the Mexican government is working on its own online platform, but from experience, it will take months (or even a couple of years) until their system is fully operational, and bug-free.
We live in the stoneage when it comes to aviation and IT. :(

I think I solves the link issue above. It is a google document so probably won't work with iphone or ipads (only pc). Here it is again:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-JGZkiqyM_qYVZpZGpIZ1dveG8/edit

Good luck!

Last edited:
Might be your "Northern cousins" but certainly not mine. All my "cousins" are to the South. ;)

Here are some pictures of our last trip outside the US from December 13, 2013 - Jan 3, 2014.
St Eustatius (TNCE) Dutch VI - December 19, 2013

We head out to Cozumel and El Salvador on Friday (Jan 17, 2014) for 10 days.

...and how much in bribes, err "extra cash fees" did it take to get in and out?

Our neighbor just returned from Cancun and said the paperwork, plus extra cash fees, where about $200 for an IFR flight.

Canada just charges just a quarterly airspace fee that is well published.

I personally don't like unknown, undocumented, cash preferred fees. :rolleyes:

...and how much in bribes, err "extra cash fees" did it take to get in and out?

Our neighbor just returned from Cancun and said the paperwork, plus extra cash fees, where about $200 for an IFR flight.

Canada just charges just a quarterly airspace fee that is well published.

I personally don't like unknown, undocumented, cash preferred fees. :rolleyes:

$0.00 in bribes, err "extra cash fees". Oh and no quarterly airspace fees either during the entire trip.

In Cozumel I will be paying $67.00 for inbound/outbound permit (valid for 1 yr at any airport in Mexico) and about another $10.00 for overnight parking/landing fees. But I will get Avgas at about $3.50/gal. All known, documented and paid with AMEX if I want to. I don't go to Cancun (about 30 miles away) since it is significantly more expensive than Cozumel. Kind of, like in your area, the difference in price between landing at Marana instead of Tucson. Remember; Know before you go.

;)

Last edited:
I go to Mexico a couple times a week with my companies corporate bird. If anyone has any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

$0.00 in bribes, err "extra cash fees".
)

They are not bribes. They are facilitation fees.
Had a crew go through Mexico years ago. They ended up having to pay $100 to the locals to get anything done so the Capt. put it on his expense account report as bribes. Accounting sent it back saying they would not reimburse for bribes. He re-submitted the same totals except it said facilitation fees instead of bribes. Payed within the week.

They are not bribes. They are facilitation fees.
Had a crew go through Mexico years ago. They ended up having to pay $100 to the locals to get anything done so the Capt. put it on his expense account report as bribes. Accounting sent it back saying they would not reimburse for bribes. He re-submitted the same totals except it said facilitation fees instead of bribes. Payed within the week.

WOW, that sounds like some US cities that have Signature Aviation FBO at the airport. I have been charged a $50.00 "facility fee" just to walk through their door to the street.

What is your planned route?

Even thought the WX is supposed to be severe clear, I will still go IFR KMTH - FIS - CANOA - B646 - VINKA - B764 - CZM - MMCZ. This keeps me as close to shore as possible without incurring the US State Department Wrath about dealing with Cuba. We spend the night in Cozumel then depart the next day to El Salvador (MSSS) where we will stay for 10 days then return the same way.

I have done this flight 6-7 time already. It is a non-issue.

;)

Last edited:
Mexico price update

$0.00 in bribes, err "extra cash fees". Oh and no quarterly airspace fees either during the entire trip.

In Cozumel I will be paying $67.00 for inbound/outbound permit (valid for 1 yr at any airport in Mexico) and about another $10.00 for overnight parking/landing fees. But I will get Avgas at about $3.50/gal. All known, documented and paid with AMEX if I want to. I don't go to Cancun (about 30 miles away) since it is significantly more expensive than Cozumel. Kind of, like in your area, the difference in price between landing at Marana instead of Tucson. Remember; Know before you go.

;)

I flew to Cozumel (MMCZ) Mexico yesterday (01/17/2014) and this is what I paid:

1yr Mexico multiple entry permit $140.00 (up from $67.00 effective 1/1/14) :(
Overnight/parking fee $2.26
Passenger Immigration fee $25.00 (no charge for the pilot)
59 gallons of AVGAS $334.00 ($5.67/ gal full service)

All paid with AMEX or VISA.

Just spent a weekend in Loreto and Mulege. Processing was a pain, took several hours. I'm done with flying my own plane to Mexico.

Just spent a weekend in Loreto and Mulege. Processing was a pain, took several hours. I'm done with flying my own plane to Mexico.

Yes, processing is a royal pain in Mexico but I am too cheap to pay an FBO to do the processing for me so I just factor the extra time needed into my schedule.

Care to elaborate? I'd like to know the details you dealt with in order to make a decision that's right for me. My wife and I love to go to Cozumel and live a laid back life for 2 or 3 weeks. If I could fly us there maybe we'd go every year?and maybe even more often?but I'd really like to know what processing pains you encounters?in my opinion, the FAA medical has become a royal pain, too and every time I go I get a different story?but I keep going because the pain is worth the benefit. Thanks.

Care to elaborate? I'd like to know the details you dealt with in order to make a decision that's right for me. My wife and I love to go to Cozumel and live a laid back life for 2 or 3 weeks. If I could fly us there maybe we'd go every year…and maybe even more often…but I'd really like to know what processing pains you encounters…in my opinion, the FAA medical has become a royal pain, too and every time I go I get a different story…but I keep going because the pain is worth the benefit. Thanks.

In Cozumel:

When you land the Agriculture officer checks (right at the airplane) to make sure you don't have any "fresh" foods. Canned or commercially packaged foods are OK. The Immigration officer asks some basic questions. Afterwards you walk to the main terminal with your luggage for Immigration and Customs. The Mexican military will approach you and ask the same basic questions the Immigrations officer asks, either right at the airplane or as you walk to the terminal. They may or may not have a narcotics dog with them and might have the dog do a sweep of your airplane. This happens more when you arrive from Central America than if you arrive from the US, but it does happen.

At Immigrations you fill out your Immigration documents and get your passport stamped. Then you go to Customs (right next door) and fill out the Customs forms. There you push a button that randomly decides if you get a secondary check of your luggage or you pass on without your luggage being checked.

Afterwards you walk to the Flight Service area (in the FBO building outside the main terminal) and close your flight plan. They give you some paperwork that you have to take back to Immigrations and Customs and get them stamped. With the stamped paperwork you go to the "Comandancia" (second floor of the main terminal) to get your "Mexico multiple entry permit". There they require a copy of your registration, airworthiness certificate, aircraft radio station license, both sides of your pilots license, medical, and radio operator's license. Make sure you have copies of these before you get there to "speed" up the process. Here you pay the $140.00 for the permit.

Afterwards you go back to Immigrations, Customs, Flight Service and Operations (right next to flight service) with your "comandancia" paperwork for them to finish the processing. If you have another person with you, they pay the Mexico entry/exit fee at the Immigrations window that point.

Departing is basically the same routine but at Operations you request fuel and pay the parking fees.

The pain is that everything is spread out so you wind up doing a lot of walking back and forth. It is set up for the commercial airline, not the GA traveler. Now, if you hire a handler, they do all the walking for you and get most of the paperwork completed before you even land. This saves a lot of time. Otherwise you need to figure an extra 1 to 1-1/2hr to do the paperwork on your own. My policy is that as soon as I shut the engine down I am on "Mexican Island" time. I am laid back, everything I do takes time and don't stress out if something isn't done like back in the USA. If I want things to get done like back in the US, I get in my plane and go back.

I hope this helps. PM me if you want more details.

Last edited:
Flight to Costa Rica and Panama....

I've been looking into a possible flight down south for our "winter fishing trip". GA to Key West then Cancun, Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica then possibly Panama. I've been using Caribbean Sky Tours as an information resourse. Rick has been a huge help..... We have been flying to the Bahamas for years and love it. The more I learn about this trip however, the less I think it's gonna happen..... Overflight fee's, landing fee's, ramp fee's, handler fee's, landing permits, "in country" flight permits...... and it seems to just keep going on and on and on........I still think it would be a true adventure.....but, It makes me realize just how great our country is!

http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/index.html
http://shop.caribbeanskytours.com/c...738268F5B16B8F4D.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=31

I've been looking into a possible flight down south for our "winter fishing trip". GA to Key West then Cancun, Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica then possibly Panama. I've been using Caribbean Sky Tours as an information resourse. Rick has been a huge help..... We have been flying to the Bahamas for years and love it. The more I learn about this trip however, the less I think it's gonna happen..... Overflight fee's, landing fee's, ramp fee's, handler fee's, landing permits, "in country" flight permits...... and it seems to just keep going on and on and on........I still think it would be a true adventure.....but, It makes me realize just how great our country is!

http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/index.html
http://shop.caribbeanskytours.com/c...738268F5B16B8F4D.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=31

Rick is an encyclopedia of information and help if you want to do this. He can be your handler for just about everything you might need. I can highly recommend him. Or better yet, join one of the many escorted trips they put on during the year. It will give you the experience while having someone to "hold your hand" during the trip.

If you want little hassles, then you need to go the tourist route and fly commercial. If you want to be an aviator/traveler then GA, with all the hassles, is the way to go at least once in your life. You might get bumps in the road but they make for much better "war stories" than going commercial with the rest of the masses.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the conversation about Mexico travel. I have sailed to Isla Mujeres a couple of times and would really like to fly there someday. It does not list an airport but they do have a small strip there. I like Isla much better than the tourist spots like Cancun or Cozumel and I would prefer not to fly into Cancun to get there. Galin, you sure make it sound do-able.

I am enjoying the conversation about Mexico travel. I have sailed to Isla Mujeres a couple of times and would really like to fly there someday. It does not list an airport but they do have a small strip there. I like Isla much better than the tourist spots like Cancun or Cozumel and I would prefer not to fly into Cancun to get there. Galin, you sure make it sound do-able.

Mark, I am in the same "boat" as you regarding enjoying the conversation. I'm pretty sure your first stop when you arrive in Mexico must be at an airport of entry. I'm pretty sure both Cancun or Cozumel are airports of entry and from what I've heard, Cozumel is somewhat more GA friendly. Galin is the only person who I've heard that's actually landed there who thought it wasn't a real big deal. Acquaintances of mine said they spent the better part of a day getting thought all the hoops.

Regarding a handler, I asked Rick about it once and had sticker shock. If there was enough business to warrant it, I'd move there are be a handler for half his fee?but I keep thinking there's a better solution and I might work on it the next time I'm down there.

FWIW, there may come a time in about a year when I think it would be a blast to get a group to go down to Cozumel in RVs. I've been laying some ground work and need to do some following up. FWIW, once you get off the front few blocks by the cruise ships, the rest of the place is pretty nice. The back of island is nearly deserted and there's a couple of good Tiki bars (and at least one to avoid). Plus, there's a great variety of food.

I'm enjoying this informative thread, too! My wife and I have been down to Cabo twice in the last few years, by commercial airline. It's beautiful there, we had a fabulous time. When my RV is finished, I dream of flying it down there. A group would be even better. It's great to have knowledgeable friends on here to help when the time comes.

FWIW, there may come a time in about a year when I think it would be a blast to get a group to go down to Cozumel in RVs. I've been laying some ground work and need to do some following up.

This is the best way of doing a trip like this. We go to the Eastern Caribbean every year with a group of airplanes and have a blast. If you get a group together, handling charges per airplane drop fast since each additional airplane it isn't much extra work.

here is a link to photos of our last trip, Dec 12 - 23.

It is do-able. But remember on a trip like this, "you are not in Kansas anymore" so "semper gumby"!

Last edited:
Hello people,

From what my peers tell me, there are basically two ways to file the Mexican eAPIS so far.
One is through fltplan.com, and from what they told me it is basically the same as filing normal US eAPIS, plus some new fields which are related to flights in and out of Mexico. So it appears that fltplan.com will walk you throughout the filing process.
The second way is through the ARINC system. Follow this link for those who already use ARINC for a complete walkthrough (other users will also benefit of knowing the process).

(If the above pdf doesn't work, shoot me a PM)

They also told me that Mexican authorities haven't really adopted this new feature, and therefore don't really care so far weather you file it or not. But the law was passed Jan. 1 and not doing it, regardless of the importance, is not worth the risk.
So, from what I understand, because this lack of information from the authorities, us pilots are lost in IMC with icing conditions all around.

I will post more updates as they become available.
Hope this helps.

We just returned from Baja as part of a group of 62 aircraft and 200 people with Bushpilots. None of us used or were asked about Mexican eApis. Several planes had landed at other Mexican airports before joining the group at Loreto MMLT. Not a peep about eApis. No one at Loreto knew when, or if, eApis would become effective in Mexico. Although FltPln continues to post scary messages and charge for filing, Mexican eApis appears to be non-existent at this time.

Jim Berry
RV-10

We just returned from Baja as part of a group of 62 aircraft and 200 people with Bushpilots. None of us used or were asked about Mexican eApis. Several planes had landed at other Mexican airports before joining the group at Loreto MMLT. Not a peep about eApis. No one at Loreto knew when, or if, eApis would become effective in Mexico. Although FltPln continues to post scary messages and charge for filing, Mexican eApis appears to be non-existent at this time.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Hello Jim,

Glad to know you and your friends made it safe on your trip to Mexico. Looking forward to see some pictures about your experience!

As for the eAPIS, that is exactly what's going on right now: nobody (authority-wise) knows what the deal is with the new 'requirement'.
I know this because I am a Mexican pilot based in Mexico (MMAN) flying somebody's N-number airplane. We fly to the US and Mexico on a regular basis and yet no one has made any comments about it. The only requirement so far, by "comandancia" (airport authority) is the "entradas multiples" (multiple entries) that you all might already be well familiar with.

I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything about the filing of the Mex eAPIS, so you can continue to enjoy flying into Mexico without any issue.

Remember that the fish gets caught by its own mouth, so try not to mention anything unless otherwise asked.

Cheers

Read this month's edition of FLYING magazine

Hello all,

I really recommend reading the article titled "Crossing Borders: How-to guide for visiting neighboring countries" by Pia Bergqvist, published on this month's edition of FLYING magazine. (red Kodiak on the cover).

Very nicely written article about items discussed in this thread, including US and Mexican APIS, fees, general requirements, as well as flying into Canada and the Bahamas.

Cheers

Back