What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch V2.70 Software

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
V2.70 software for G3X Touch systems is available for download and installation from our website.

It includes support for interfacing and using a lightning detection system with lightning overlays on the moving map. This has been an often requested feature for those outside the U.S. that don't have ground or satellite datalink weather options.

V2.70 also includes the ability to show round flight instruments on the GDU 46X 10.6" PFD display if you prefer this presentation over the conventional tapes.

46XSixPackFullWidthwithTC.jpg

If you prefer, you can trade out the turn coordinator for the G-Meter. Not shown here, but you can also optionally choose some combinations of traffic, map, and flight plan insets even while using the round flight instruments.

46XSixPackFullWidthwithGMeter.jpg

And you can also use the round flight instruments in split screen mode.

46XSixPackSplit.jpg

The PFD setup page allows you to easily switch back and forth in flight if, for example, you prefer the round instruments when flying aerobatics.

To gain access to the control to choose between tapes and round instruments, just tap the HSI to bring up the PFD Setup screen, select More Options, then edit the PFD Presentation to your choice.

Thanks,
Steve

Great news! Could you share what models of lightning detectors are supported?

Thanks,
David

Steve,
That is great! I have been waiting for this release. Well, not waiting, I am having my G3x Touch panel built now but always wanted the six pack displays.

Now the only thing I would really like is a simulator I can play on while I wait for my panel to be delivered. Even instructional videos would be good.

Great news! Could you share what models of lightning detectors are supported?

Thanks,
David

Hello David,

There are a couple of brands of lightning detectors on the market that use what has become sort of an industry standard RS-232 interface which we are supporting.

Let us know if you have additional compatibility questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
That is great! I have been waiting for this release. Well, not waiting, I am having my G3x Touch panel built now but always wanted the six pack displays.

Now the only thing I would really like is a simulator I can play on while I wait for my panel to be delivered. Even instructional videos would be good.

Hello Rockwoodrv9a,

With regard to the simulator, you might have noticed in the installation manual that if you ground pin 42 on each display, the displays will operate in simulator mode and will even support a connected GMC305 autopilot control panel when operating in that mode.

You can enter a flight plan, position the aircraft at the departure airport, enter a selected altitude target for the autopilot, engage the autopilot with the AP button, select NAV lateral mode to couple to the flight plan, and select a pitch, vertical speed, or airspeed vertical mode to use in the climb to your target cruise altitude.

Simply touch the airspeed tape and enter an airspeed and off you go to fly a simulated autopilot coupled trip to any destination at any altitude or combination of altitudes.

You can even push the VNAV button while in altitude hold in cruise, and the simulator will display time to VNAV capture/descent, and fly a coupled VNAV profile of your choosing (e.g. 500 fpm) down to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

Just like the real thing, you can push the HDG button and steer the plane around in the "sky" using the HDG knob on the PFD.

There shouldn't be anything about flight planning or using the autopilot that will be foreign to you when it comes time to actually fly with the system if you use this training tool.

If you have visited the Garmin G3X area at SNF or Oshkosh, you will notice we operate systems this way all week long to demonstrate these capabilities. One of the things we don't yet support for customer installations is simulated IFR operation. For the demonstration benches we use at the shows, we load special GTN demo software that lets the GTN take simulated data from the G3X system. Using this, we can also fly simulated ILS and LPV approaches with full lateral and vertical coupling down to the runway.

For obvious reasons, please make sure that the ground wire to this pin is totally removed before attempting to fly. A "DEMO MODE" annunciator in the middle of the PFD will remind you.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Dear Steve, the non G3x touch users will not have new upgrade developments? :(

Hello Hernan,

Yes, we are absolutely still creating upgrades for G3X customers using GDU 37X displays.

If you go to the G3X Software Updates page you will see that last week we released new software for both G3X and G3X Touch systems with many new features and improvements and more are on the way.

Thanks,
Steve

Upssss, I am happy too!!!

hi Steve,

Any chance that you add Flight Path Vector to G3X, I will love to be able to decend by angle and not just vertical speed, that function is great for user that do not have VNAV available for aproaches (here is no WAAS in Southamerica).

Regards,

Fernando

Love the round gauges

I have real steam gauges as backup to my 1st generation (other vendor) EFIS in my -7A. I've put off upgrading because I like having both round and EFIS in my panel. This certainly gives me something to think about.

On another note, any idea when G3X will be available on for the RV-12? I'll be ordering my Avionics in January 2015.

Thanks Steve. My panel is being built by Stein now. Once I get it, I will give the demo mode some time to become familiar with the system. Now I am reading manuals and trying to learn the different menus and how to jump from one to another. Lots to learn, but I am enjoying trying to figure it all out. The demo mode sounds like it will be a great help.
Hello Rockwoodrv9a,

With regard to the simulator, you might have noticed in the installation manual that if you ground pin 43 on each display, the displays will operate in simulator mode and will even support a connected GMC305 autopilot control panel when operating in that mode.

You can enter a flight plan, position the aircraft at the departure airport, enter a selected altitude target for the autopilot, engage the autopilot with the AP button, select NAV lateral mode to couple to the flight plan, and select a pitch, vertical speed, or airspeed vertical mode to use in the climb to your target cruise altitude.

Simply touch the airspeed tape and enter an airspeed and off you go to fly a simulated autopilot coupled trip to any destination at any altitude or combination of altitudes.

You can even push the VNAV button while in altitude hold in cruise, and the simulator will display time to VNAV capture/descent, and fly a coupled VNAV profile of your choosing (e.g. 500 fpm) down to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

Just like the real thing, you can push the HDG button and steer the plane around in the "sky" using the HDG knob on the PFD.

There shouldn't be anything about flight planning or using the autopilot that will be foreign to you when it comes time to actually fly with the system if you use this training tool.

If you have visited the Garmin G3X area at SNF or Oshkosh, you will notice we operate systems this way all week long to demonstrate these capabilities. One of the things we don't yet support for customer installations is simulated IFR operation. For the demonstration benches we use at the shows, we load special GTN demo software that lets the GTN take simulated data from the G3X system. Using this, we can also fly simulated ILS and LPV approaches with full lateral and vertical coupling down to the runway.

For obvious reasons, please make sure that the ground wire to this pin is totally removed before attempting to fly. A "DEMO MODE" annunciator in the middle of the PFD will remind you.

Thanks,
Steve

I think it's an amazing piece of hardware, and software.

I think it's an amazing company that will take a state of the art piece of equipment and give users the option to turn it into antiquated equipment.

Garmin, you're nice.

Old fashioned people, come on. Use and embrace the nice new technology that we all longed for for so many years.

Famous Stein quote here... .02

Round Altimeter

In the pictures it seemed like the altimeter just showed the big hand (feet), not the big hand (thousands of feet) and the little hand. I know the text behind it shows the numeric altitude. Is this configurable?

Drum Altimeter

In the pictures it seemed like the altimeter just showed the big hand (feet), not the big hand (thousands of feet) and the little hand. I know the text behind it shows the numeric altitude. Is this configurable?

Hello TThurston,

This style of altimeter is sometimes referred to as a "drum altimeter" and is generally preferred by everyone who has flown with one. It is very common to see them in high end aircraft and airliners, and even quite a few homebuilts. Since you are always flying to either a thousand foot altitude or 500 feet off of this, your scan is simplified to only have one reference needle.

Altimeter.jpg

DrumAltimeter.jpg

We thought if we were going to give you a conventional analog altimeter presentation, it may as well be a really good one!

Thanks,
Steve

Back