What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small Road Trip

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
I Flew a fellow RV-10 buddy to northern Indiana this AM (Elkhart-KEKM). The RV-10 as usual was an awesome magic carpet ride. 181 Knots true at 7500 MSL. It was a glorious morning and the air was as smooth as glass. The more I fly this thing, the more I appreciate what it can do.

jjpx8m.jpg

2elggf9.jpg

b80im0.jpg

15yf136.jpg

Wow that's moving!

What engine? How many pokey things do you have in the airstream? We get around 170 at a similar power setting with our Thunderbolt.

Wow that's moving!

What engine? How many pokey things do you have in the airstream? We get around 170 at a similar power setting with our Thunderbolt.

I've got the Rod Bower Ram Air Inlet, whic gives me a little more HP (about 1" of manifold pressure's worth), and 10:1 pistons and dual LSE I.E.'s. I also used the Hartzell 8301 composite blades on the prop, which is 11+ pounds lighter than most AL bladed props. It's a great combination for this airframe apparently:). Not bad for a normally aspirated machine:).

I've got the Rod Bower Ram Air Inlet, whic gives me a little more HP (about 1" of manifold pressure's worth), and 10:1 pistons and dual LSE I.E.'s. I also used the Hartzell 8301 composite blades on the prop, which is 11+ pounds lighter than most AL bladed props. It's a great combination for this airframe apparently:). Not bad for a normally aspirated machine:).

Must be because you fly from the right seat! ;-)

-Marc

Where is the OAT probe?

What were the results of a GPS box Vs the TAS as displayed.

180-181 knots is possible usually at low altitude on a cool smooth morning, but 162knots (which is in yellow arc) seems rather high at that height.

Just curious. It just seems a bit of a instrument error. I may be wrong.

Larry has built one of the nicest and most well equipped RV-10?s you will ever see, and I can attest that it is one speedy bird!

Where is the OAT probe?

What were the results of a GPS box Vs the TAS as displayed.

180-181 knots is possible usually at low altitude on a cool smooth morning, but 162knots (which is in yellow arc) seems rather high at that height.

Just curious. It just seems a bit of a instrument error. I may be wrong.

I thought that too but the indicated Ground Speed coincides with the TAS...

-Marc

60 is stock for the -10, the floats don?t really register until fuel has been burned, in my case usually around 20 remaining on each side. Probably early in the flight when both floats were still indicating full fuel.

60 is stock for the -10, the floats don?t really register until fuel has been burned, in my case usually around 20 remaining on each side. Probably early in the flight when both floats were still indicating full fuel.

That was my guess, too. I feel this is a poor set-up. You want your gauges to be conservative. Better to indicate 25 when you have 30, than to indicate 30 when you have 25.

That was my guess, too. I feel this is a poor set-up. You want your gauges to be conservative. Better to indicate 25 when you have 30, than to indicate 30 when you have 25.

Hi Bob,

You can achieve what you want by configuring the max fuel level to the point that the floats actually start dropping. i.e. In your example, max indicated would be 25 per side. Put 60 gals in when fueling and conservatively indicate 50. Once you drop below 50 it would begin to indicate "more" accurately. Until then, you'd assume that you had greater than 50.

Personally, don't trust the gauges anyway but you can accomplish what you wanted to show by configuration.

Regards,
Doug

I thought that too but the indicated Ground Speed coincides with the TAS...

-Marc

Marc.......that might be true IF the wind is as shown, but if your OAT, static, and or compass are not spot on, you can get any number you like.

I have done a lot of data fixing on RV's over the years. In fact my RV10 was the worlds slowest at one point and then the worlds fastest. I could have shown you a 187+ TAS photo......But that would have been a bit of false data.

Any way you dice them an RV10 is hard to go past!

Back