What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing painting jig ideas

SgtZim

Well Known Member
The painting forum seems to have "dried up" a bit. ;)

Before I reinvent this wheel, has anyone seen a good jig or stand for painting a wing panel?

Simplest thing I suppose would be a couple of padded sawhorses and just lay it flat, but that would make it impractical to paint both top and bottom in one session without messing up the paint.

Hang it up vertically? Does that make it harder to avoid runs?

Thanks!

If you're asking about painting the wing: Two sawhorses with 2 pieces of pvc pipe in the lightening holes just aft of the spar. 2x4 running the length and screwed to sawhorses on both ends. Smaller pvc pipe in another lightening hole to prop it horizontal. Rotate as needed. Worked great and would do the same again.

IMG_6915.JPG

Last edited:
PVC pipe

+1 for Larry's suggestion. I used PVC on the last paint but the 2x4 on horses with small wood anti-rotator is clever. I will definitely do this on my -4 soon.

Does the PVC add anything, or would the span-wise 2x4 alone suffice?

Much smoother and easier to rotate with the PVC. Tried with just the 2x4 and it hung up. The PVC doesn't go the entire length like the 2x4, just the first 2 ribs on each end. And this wasn't my idea but it is my wing I painted. I shamelessly stole it from somewhere deep in the VAF archives :).

Last edited:
Back