What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you think of this for alternate air mechanism?

dwilson

Well Known Member
Working on the air filter box and thinking about the Van's alternate air door that they recommend for the bottom of the FAB. Seems like this might be another idea:

Why not use the oil cooler shutters for the alternate air mechanism?
Van's part number: EA OIL COOLER VENT

Might be a little heavier, but if installed just so there wouldn't be any fasteners that could be sucked up into the intake.

What do you think?

Not flying yet but this was free...
16A5E1F9-4479-4573-856F-AF7CB695DE5C-7993-0000046C0E446612.jpg

If you ask me, I would say fabricate a complete aluminium air box and I speak with experience. The glass ones are a problem, the alt air is too. And yes small fasteners can make their way through the engine :eek:

The air filter will seal much better against alloy plate, and you can use the vans sliding door with locknuts and AN3 bolts.

Ours works great!

Alternate Air mechanism option

I don't have any alternate air valve on my -7 with IO-360 and horizontal induction. Yet. I'm considering using a spot on the upper rear aluminum baffle area behind the engine adjacent to where my oil cooler is mounted. Perhaps just put a cable operated valve on the vertical baffle with some scat tubing snaked up to some place on my intake snorkle. It would take some of the high pressure air from on top of the engine straight into the engine bypassing the K&N filter. If I can get large enough tubing worked up thru all my other plumbing on the bottom of the engine, maybe it would get a little bit of ram air effect going into the snorkle. Thoughts, Guys?

The engine sucks a lot of air, I think you'd be stealing a significant amount of your cylinder cooling air.

Back