What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Denver Overnight Option

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm planning a short trip into the Denver area next week for no reason in particular. I expect to arrive on Tuesday and leave Wednesday afternoon after a museum visit or two and some basic sightseeing. If there's too much to do, I'd consider staying through another night and head home to Alberta more directly on Thursday.

I'm looking at the various airports in the area and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for best option. Hangar space for an RV-9A would be nice, access to a rental car would be good as well. General accessibility without having to contend with KDEN is a definite bonus. I'd even take sightseeing tips.

I only picked Denver because it's about the right distance away from me to make it a reasonably easy day of flying. Close to the mountains without being in them is a factor too. I know you just got hammered with some snow, but it looks like next week is looking up.

This is my first overnight trip in the plane and my first flying trip into the US, so more simple than complicated is a must.

Anyways, any experiences and suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you just work with an FBO for the hangar? I see TACAir has the cheapest AVGAS by a lot, is the hangar rental reasonable? Rental cars aren't cheap, at least not as cheap as me.

Also, any tips on the best way to get to the airport from the Northeast, I'd expect it isn't straight through the Bravo airspace.

I'd been looking at Erie but the car rentals are a bit more of a hassle. Front Range looks to be a decent setup too. Any experiences with either of those?

Last edited:
If you are arriving from the north, Erie is ok, a straight shot in and uncontrolled if that matters to you. Boulder is another nearby option, though I cannot speak to hangar availability at either of those. Call the FBO’s... Another great place might be Rocky Mtn Metro KBJC. Friendly controllers and away from class Bravo. All the amenities and good access to the Denver area. Self serve fuel available too.
Good luck, enjoy,
Jim

Last edited:
Claude,

In my opinion, KFTG would be the cheapest and easiest to fly into (especially coming in from the NE). Call the airport (see website) to find out about rental cars and hangars or tie-downs. KFTG is located near the Denver International Airport, so there's tons of rental car companies in close proximity. Be sure to stay below the Bravo airspace, but KFTG is fully towered, so they should keep you out of trouble. My $0.02. Report back with your trip write up, so we all know about your experience, okay?

Weather should be good by then and all the snow will probably be melted. Usually, the snow doesn't stick around Denver area very long. Don't tell anyone though... The rest of the US seems to think we live in the Arctic. Ha! The evening before the blizzard, I had the top down on my Mustang, with my kids in the back. I'll probably have it down again today on my way home from work! :)

This is my first overnight trip in the plane and my first flying trip into the US, so more simple than complicated is a must.

Just a tip. Take your own tie down stuff, control locks etc. When in a new place always ensure 100% your plane is as safe as can be. When we first started doing cross countries, its always fun to arrive and happy to be on an adventure. More than once we have gone back to the airport late due to crazy winds or big storms. Even if weather looks good, secure the heck out of it. Some places dont have tie downs at all. Get them to bring out the concrete blocks or push on the grass and use your own claws or whatever. Nothing adds stress to a great trip like sitting in your hotel looking outside and praying your plane isnt getting killed. Enjoy your first cross country adventure, flying in the US is awesome. So many great FBO's and friendly people at the airports. Always a pleasure. The smaller airports are preferred over the big ones. If you have foreflight, look up airport, then comments. We find pireps from other GA pilots are very helpful in finding the good ones, little tips and where NOT to go. Also, ask the FBO what hotel deals they have. Often they can get you $99 or something a Hilton Garden Inn type place when the online rates is $175 or so. Almost always a much better rate than i can find booking online. Also most have two fuel choices on the field....again foreflight gives you all that. Self serve still gets you a free tie down at most and is way cheaper than fuel serve. Do watch the TFRs and MOAS. Way busier than Canuck airspace. Cheers, Rick.

Last edited:
Longmont is best

I'm planning a short trip into the Denver area next week for no reason in particular. I expect to arrive on Tuesday and leave Wednesday afternoon after a museum visit or two and some basic sightseeing. If there's too much to do, I'd consider staying through another night and head home to Alberta more directly on Thursday.

I'm looking at the various airports in the area and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for best option. Hangar space for an RV-9A would be nice, access to a rental car would be good as well. General accessibility without having to contend with KDEN is a definite bonus. I'd even take sightseeing tips.

I only picked Denver because it's about the right distance away from me to make it a reasonably easy day of flying. Close to the mountains without being in them is a factor too. I know you just got hammered with some snow, but it looks like next week is looking up.

If you don?t mind uncontrolled airspace KLMO Longmont is the best. if you call (3037722202) me I can recommend some things. Probably can find a hangar.

Dave shenk

APA

TacAir APA is my go-to. Great folks, say hello to Dan Bryant the manager, he treats me like a lost brother...

I've had good luck at both Erie and Longmont. Been into Longmont several times, friendly small airport.

When I was at Erie the place was pretty quiet. They've got self serve fuel, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that KAPA is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the US, so if you aren't used to flying into busy controlled airports it could be a little overwhelming at the wrong time of day. The restaurant on the field (The Perfect Landing) is definitely worth a visit though.

KBJC is a good option. It can get busy too but not like KAPA does and there's plenty of restaurants and hotels pretty close to the airport.

Longmont is a nice town and KLMO would put you closer to Estes Park which would be a great sightseeing trip depending on road conditions.

As for museums in Denver, I have been to Wings Over the Rockies and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science and really enjoy both of them.

KLMO

If you don?t mind uncontrolled airspace KLMO Longmont is the best. if you call (3037722202) me I can recommend some things. Probably can find a hangar.

Dave shenk

My vote as well. I would offer my hangar but that's too short notice. I think they have Enterprise on site plus plenty of "cheap" hotels really close on 34.
I will buy you beer if you come up to Estes Park. I have a restored Coke machine full @ $.25 each and I know where the owner keeps the key. :D
Or we also have three breweries.

At Longmont, don't overfly the center of the field - that's where the jumpers land. They seem to be under canopy by 8k', usually, and the jump plane calls the drop on CTAF.

Dave

I spent a few days at BJC "Metro" and stayed at the Omni Interloken Hotel. It was a nice place but pricey (We got the discount rate of $132). They will pick you up at the airport. There are tons of restaurants in the area.

I went with FTG. Got into their hangar for a fair price and they had a rental car ready for me. Getting in was largely uneventful, after getting within 3 knots of the 200kt club on descent with a hard tailwind, I flew under the 20 NM Bravo shelf and turned inbound from the east. Didn?t see any VFR traffic, lots of the big boys in the Bravo. Landing was tricky with a strong gusty headwind but my biggest issue was ground handling. In Great Falls I thought I?d lost my right brake but it came back, in Billings I had a pretty good shimmy in the nose gear and at Front Range I had trouble with steering on the long taxi to the ramp. Finally found my problem, my nose leg fairing popped out of the clamp at the bottom and that toungue was pinching tightly on top of the wheel fairing. It was inhibiting the castor quite a bit. I?ll fix that up before heading to Rapid City this afternoon.

Had a chat with a Cirrus driver on the ramp here, compared numbers. He?s twice my weight and cruises 40 kts faster. I won the contest when he ask my fuel burn, my 7-1/2 and his 19. The fact that his 40 KT faster plane cost 4 or 5 times the cost of mine didn?t come up.

Denver ski trip

I just got back from a ski trip at Breckenridge just yesterday. Packed the RV10 full of baggage and wife and kiddos and flew into KFTG(formerly Front Range airport just southeast of Denver international. They are very accomodating and have reasonable rates for a heated hangar. Around $75 a night for the first night with additional days being aroung $55. They also have rental car services on sight for around $50 a day for a compact car and an Uber driver they coordinate with as well. I had considered flying into KBJC as it was closer to the mountains but hanger costs were aroung $175.00 a night! If you don't mind driving 20 minutes to Denver KFTG is a good choice. Come in from the east/souteast under 7000 agl will avoid Bravo airspace. This is about as easy as it gets flying into the Denver area.

Jerry

+1

APA is large and convenient. I had a good experience going in there and will do so again when we go back late next week.

Larry

Living in the Denver area and I seldom visit APA. Easy to get into, a pain to get out.

You did not mention the museum you'll visit. I would suggest KFTG as the best airport to land. Rental cars and friendly service.

I just got back from a ski trip at Breckenridge just yesterday. Packed the RV10 full of baggage and wife and kiddos and flew into KFTG(formerly Front Range airport just southeast of Denver international. They are very accomodating and have reasonable rates for a heated hangar. Around $75 a night for the first night with additional days being aroung $55. They also have rental car services on sight for around $50 a day for a compact car and an Uber driver they coordinate with as well. I had considered flying into KBJC as it was closer to the mountains but hanger costs were aroung $175.00 a night! If you don't mind driving 20 minutes to Denver KFTG is a good choice. Come in from the east/souteast under 7000 agl will avoid Bravo airspace. This is about as easy as it gets flying into the Denver area.

Jerry

KFTG is still Front Range Air Port.

FTG couldn?t have been better. They were great today accommodating my numerous troubles. I fixed my nose leg fairing and it didnt fix the binding issue, neither did removing the wheel fairing. The conclusion was a lack of grease in the nose fork. FTG couldn?t help, but got me in touch with someone one the field that could and did. Managed to get my ground handling all fixed up and departed for our only leg today to Rapid City, SD.

We visited the Wings Over the Rockies Museum, free with your EAA membership. It was very good. We the drove to APA for a visit to the pilot shop and lunch at the restaurant next door. Watched all of the business jets. Great place for lunch, glad we didn?t fly in there.

Our 3 day jaunt ends tomorrow, we?ll fly past Mt. Rushmore and then head home via Billings and Lethbridge.

You sure about that? I thought that it is now Colorado Air and Space Port.

It's true that Front Range Airport has recently received its certification as a Space Port (Spaceport Colorado), but the airport still goes by the name "Front Range". The Spaceport Colorado build out is supposed to happen on the East portion of the property and should be a great horizontal launch site, due to its altitude. I, for one, am very excited and truly hope that they can find a developer willing to grow the space business in Colorado.

Claude,

I'm glad you've had a good visit and that KFTG took good care of you. To be fair, I think all the airports in Colorado are great to fly into. The real differences are costs and amenities. Thanks for visiting our state. Every operation counts, so plan a trip and keep those planes a coming! :D

Last edited:
Back