What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ottawa - Toronto : Good day for goofing off

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Start of the week and things are getting slow at work for both Shirley and I. How about a mini holiday? A day off work on Tuesday it is...

We left Carp (CYRP - Ottawa) for Smiths Falls (CYSH) early morning, fueled up and departed for Toronto Island (CYTZ).

1-Route.jpg

This is our route. CYSH to CYTZ took about 1hr 10min.

DSC05733.jpg

Almost a 50 kt crosswind. No tailwind to speak of.

DSC05743.jpg

Shoreline approaching Toronto

DSC05759.jpg

DSC05764.jpg

DSC05775.jpg

We were given rwy 08, joining direct right downwind. Several years back I was given rwy 26 which meant a left base turn towards
the CN tower. I may have to pick my easterly windy days so I can experience that again sometime.

DSC05794.jpg

Turning final rwy 08

DSC05814.jpg

We chose Porter FBO. Not cheap. Almost $40 CDN for day parking, but worth it in the whole scheme of things. [I received an email informing me that Trans Capital have ramp spots for $25 plus tax, and they are closer to the terminal.] I expect another Transport
Canada landing fee of likely $17 CDN in the mail soon.

There is now an underwater tunnel/walkway, and Porter has free shuttle transport to Union Station (just a few minutes walk from CN tower).

Last edited:
DSC05822.jpg

"Can you hear me now?". I have this thing about visiting control towers.
I tried to contacting Toronto Island tower on the intercom (made for a very short person, or just the right height for someone driving in). After lots of back and forth with security and tower personnel, they granted us permission to visit. I always find nice folks at the towers eager to talk aviation and procedures.

DSC05831.jpg

Shirley is keeping an eye out for our plane from the revolving restaurant. Here is a deal for you. Riding the elevator
to the observation deck is $35 (plus taxes) per adult. If you go and have a meal (during weekdays) at the revolving restaurant,
you pay $55 (plus tax and tip) and you get the ride up and access to the observation deck for free. Food is quite good too.

DSC05843.jpg

Toronto Island airport view from the restaurant. I just don't get tired of it. The powers that be want to call the
airport Bill Bishop, however Bishop's home town (Owen Sound) has named their airport after him. I have yet to
hear a pilot call CYTZ Billy Bishop.

DSC05859.jpg

Harbour front.

DSC05885.jpg

City hall.

DSC05887.jpg

Someone almost ran off with our camera! (just kidding)

EdgeWalk-5.jpg

Shirley has had the CN Tower Edge Walk on her bucket list for years. Me, not so much. She asks me if I want to go.
I say something to the effect that I left my change of underwear back home.

EdgeWalk-6.jpg

I feel much safer flying.

One more thing. This airport has again made the list of top 10 airports for scenic landings (you can well see why).
http://www.ctvnews.ca/5things/toronto-s-island-airport-ranked-among-world-s-best-for-scenic-landings-1.2865258

Last edited:
Excellent Trip Report, Alfio

Trips like this are what the RV-9A is designed for. I'm looking forward to visiting Toronto Island in my -9A.

Ok, I can't help it.... Why does the pic "Turning final rwy 26" seem to be base to final runway 08?

Love the pictures! The tower walk makes my knees weak sitting in my office chair.

(The edit helps. Thanks.)

Last edited:
Wonderful writeup

Definitely want to do this trip myself this year. Having flown the skylines of Chicago and NYC, Toronto is on the bucket list. thanks for the motivation to get it planned.

Ok, I can't help it.... Why does the pic "Turning final rwy 26" seem to be base to final runway 08?

Love the pictures! The tower walk makes my knees weak sitting in my office chair.

Per Alfio's write-up, it is indeed the base/final turn for 08:
"We were given rwy 08, joining direct right downwind. Several years back I was given rwy 26"

Great write-up, Alfio. This thread is on my "must show to my wife tonight" list... :D

Per Alfio's write-up, it is indeed the base/final turn for 08:
"We were given rwy 08, joining direct right downwind. Several years back I was given rwy 26"

Great write-up, Alfio. This thread is on my "must show to my wife tonight" list... :D

Actually LittleDave had it right ...for a while. I had my rwy numbers mixed up until I subsequently applied the correction to the posting.

Back