What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used engine: advice needed

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
hello everyone,
I'm interesed in a used engine that is for sale here in France and I need advice on what to look for. This would be to install on my RV-7.

The engine is:
Lycoming IO360 A1A
181 hours since lycoming overhaul
Included: prop governor, injection block (don't know which one), dual mags, starter, the seller says a "slick start STC" has been done on the engine.
It was on a Mooney M20E and had a prop strike on taxi (idle RPM) due to nose gear collapse.
The seller says the engine has been inspected after the prop strike and is within tolerances.

What should I look for before making the decision to buy?
Should I have an approved lycoming shop inspect the engine?
Any considerations regarding this engine on a RV-7?
And finally what would such an engine be worth in the USA?

Thank you,
Alain.

Prop Strike???!!!

If I hear the seller right,a 60+pound rotating mass hit the ground ever so lightly and his buddy says it looks OK to him. Well.........It's NOT! This engine will need a complete tare down and magnaflux inspection of the crank and gears with mandatory replacement of required bolts,nuts,bearings,seals.On this side of the pound it's a core + accessories $5K+ to make this airworthy. Understand these cranks don't bend they crack,you can't see that by dialing the flange,it has to come apart,the drive gear bolt has damage you can't see.If you get this engine for core money and rebuild it,that's fine. Will you save money?not much,you will learn all about Lycomings and that has its own rewards.This is one of many paths to a end,this one will take more time and slow the project down,sometimes by years.You have poured your hart soul into this project don't put a questionable engine on the nose.IMHO
RHill

Lycoming recommends a teardown and inspection, and the insurance companies willl pay for the work, if the prop hits tall grass and doesn't come to a stop.

Take it apart and do a complete inspection.

Hi Alan
The seller says the engine has been inspected after the prop strike and is within tolerances.
This is the key... if the engine has been inspected iaw Lycoming's advice, then it has, as described above, had a "mini overhaul". Ensure you get the paperwork with the engine that confirms this has been done.

If by inspected they mean "it looks like a Lycoming engine" I would not pay a lot, and get it overhauled as above.

Prop Strike Success Story

Bonjour, Alain;
As the above respondents have stated, the engine must be taken apart and the crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods and accessory drive gears should be magnafluxed.

The engine in my Skybolt is a 200 hp IO-360A1B6D which came out of a Cessna 177RG that suffered a gear-up landing. The repair facility refused to put the engine back into the Cessna (huge red flag) so the owner put the engine up for sale. The engine had 700 hours on it. Due to the very reasonable price, I bought the engine.

I disassembled the engine completely and had all the Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) work done. All the parts were deemed to be OK. Before reassembly, I replaced the main journal bearings which appeared to be worn.

The engine now has 100 hours more on it since the Skybolt first flew and it is running superbly. Compression readings are 78/80 on each cylinder at the annual condition inspections. The only repair was to replace a cylinder which showed a low compression reading (60/80) in 2011.

Best of luck, Alain.

Thank you.

Thank you for the replies. Sorry it took so long but I was on a trip.
I'll make sure the engine has been properly checked per Lycoming recomendations before making any decision.
Alain.

I am also building an RV7. I purchased a propstrike IO360 -A1B6 which had about 800 hrs since overhaul. I disassembled and sent parts out for inspection/repair. I will be assembling it myself. I will probably put about $7,000 into it; paid $6,500 so not bad in the grand scheme of things. For peace of mind, I would definetly have it taken apart inspected/overhauld. You probably won't need to do much on the cylinders if it hasen't sat around to long. If you have a shop do it, I'd plan on $9,000 - $10,000.

Back