What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunrise over the Bay

wera710

Well Known Member
Sunrise over Easton MD. RedStar Formation Clinic.

10689874_10202885763532741_6829287105604104168_n.jpg

The red aircraft is an F-22. Decendent of the Falco and SF-260. Only one in the US. My buddy Dan is at the controls.

10712715_10202885779133131_7199483724830839228_n.jpg

Hopefully the images will post. If not, let me know.

Yup. CDU-Mk1. For dispensing rubber chickens, flour "bombs", or TP. Got tired of not being able to compete in various fly-in competitions due to the inability to open the canopy in flight. Well, you can, but it takes both hands if you are trying to hold it open and drop a rubber chicken on a target! This solved the problem. Chef (aka Capflyer), naturally, decided that if one is good, two is better. Cheating ***tard. ;-)

More is always better, whether ordinance or women! Mine is code named the "Pappy Parker".

And, everyone should be happy to know that the RV's kicked the war birds butts this year. Mugsy had a direct hit on the target and won this year, first time for the RV's. Their event and they were not happy. Next year will be even more of a blast now that the rivalry is building.

5pla38.jpg

AGM-65 KFC Poultry Launcher

I have been negligent in posting this information sooner but this seems like an appropriate time. Below is a link to detailed photos on building my version of the AGM-65 KFC Poultry launcher which successfully flew its first sorties last year prior to the Easton, MD World Famous Chicken Drop.

I am also happy to report that great fame and notoriety has been bestowed upon our RV brethren as a result of winning 1st place in this years event. My winning drop was about 9 feet from ground zero (the local airport truck). We were up against a formidable fleet of Red Star pilots and aircraft (Yaks, CJ-6s , T34s and AT-6s). This is the first time their group has been dislodged from the winners podium and they were quite 'surly' as a result. But hey, its all in fun and we had a great time. Both Chef and Lawbreaker have great designs also. However, the use of 'dual' pods is in violation of various firearms regulations in several states HI HI !

Perhaps we can grow this into more of a nationwide activity with more innovation sure to come. Give it a try. There is nothing like hitting that 'Pickle' button as you launch that bird!

Mugsy

https://plus.google.com/photos/1121...79310928529?banner=pwa&authkey=CNf6mYalw8iDOA

Here is an exert from an earlier email sent to our local Dragon Flight

Attached are multiple photos detailing the construction of the KFC AGM-65 Chicken launcher. This is designed for standard size rubber chickens. These are approximately 23" long and 5" wide. This size chicken will be issued to you at the ESN Airport Day for the drop. The use of other chicken sizes may or may not work with this launcher. Smaller chickens have been known to slip out, especially those scrawny little Italian chickens!

The aluminum flashing can be bought at Home Depot etc and is normally 24" wide. All of the wood is either 1/2" soft pine, 1/4' plywood, or a small piece of hard maple for the trigger block.

The launch tube aluminum is overlapped 1/2" on the top and riveted (pop rivets) about every 2 1/2 to 3". A 2" size piece of fiberglass cloth is lay ed down the length of the tube over top of the rivets. Make the nose bowl out of a solid piece of pine. Cut with a jig saw and relieve the inside edge to fit inside the front of the launch tube (see photos). I used West System epoxy for all attachments and fiberglass work. A hot glue gun can be used to tack a part into place before final epoxy/fiber glassing into place. This is helpful especially with the fins. The 2" ID PVC pipe MUST be reinforced with at least 5 layers of fiberglass cloth where it attached to the launch tube and the main flange !!! Sand the PVC pipe before fiber glassing.

The release latch motor is a standard 12 volt car door lock mechanism which can be obtained on Ebay / Amazon for under $10. A piece of hinge wire runs from the latch motor to the release block. The trip wire is made from 14 or 16 gauge wire. It attaches to the bottom of the launch tube and has a loop on the other end (soldered). Strip the insulation off the ends if you use electrical wire. This loop is what fits into the maple release block. Make sure the loop can move in and out of the maple block without binding. The wire fits under the chicken's crotch when loaded in the launch tube.

A pair of wires will run from inside your wing (either side is OK), to the cockpit. My launcher is mounted on the center inspection plate. You will need access to 12 Volts, normally via an accessory outlet. Your master release switch should be a momentary contact type button wired in series with an ARM switch so that you don't get excited or forget and bomb a school bus or something known to make the headlines! RadioShack is a good source for the project type box and switches.

Mugsy
:cool:

Last edited:
Got me curious

The link to the build pictures didn't work for me.

Sounds like a lot of fun though!

The link to the build pictures didn't work for me.

Sounds like a lot of fun though!

Link not working for me either. Interesting project, did the exact type of work for Uncle Sam for 24 years but when our stuff left the airplane it made a bigger boom and tended to put real damper on the bad guys weekend. So is the chicken ejected out somehow i.e. spring pressure, rocket motor :D or just sucked out into the slipstream once you hit the pickle button? Lastly, how do you aim? What about...? How do you...? Wow, this project could turn into a whole thread all by itself! :)

More launcher info

Once the trip wire is released, air pressure ejects the 'ordinance' out of the tube. Typical 'attack' runs are around 200' AGL (some people have been known to violate this height - right Chef ?), at around 125 mph.

Sighting becomes at bit more subjective. I typically release when the target starts to disappear under my leading edge wing root (as sighted from my RV-8). Side to side should be adjusted to allow for wind drift.

The 'rubber chicken ordinance' has very little if any forward inertia and tends to stop tumbling soon after release.

Mugsy

Back