What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

look at the guy hanging on the airport fence.....

turbo

Well Known Member
i have recently relocated my rv to hartford ct till the fall. it is really nice to be back in a t-hangar with quite a bit of rv activity. finishing up some maintenance a guy on a sport bike stopped by the fence and shut down. i strolled over to him and talked abit, found out he was a united pilot and has been out of ga for a long time. i cowled up the rv and took him for a long awaited rv flight. an hour later we were back. this guy was a real joy to fly with and it may of been the spark to get him back into ga again. here is his response from yesterday........

Turbo,

I can not thank you enough for offering me a ride in your fantastic RV-6A. My intend today was to relive some past memories flying out of HFD and to drop in the FBO and inquire about getting back into GA. My plan was to turn around at the end and then saw you and your plane. I just had to stop and then you were gracious to invite me to see your plane. Never did I ever think that I would get a flight during one of my motorcycle rides!! Too many years have past and I forgot the kind of freedom you have with a GA plane. Airline flying is so different and thanks to you I really came to know how much I miss flying outside the airline life. Thank you so much for the flight and can not wait for Tuesday.

From one grateful fellow pilot,

Pat Lucco

wish i had a pic to attach but i don't. he is scheduled to fly in the heli on tuesday to intervale nh along with another pilot from hartford. should be a blast. we are a lucky group. :)
edfad51087f394a2d12dc4c24567325e.jpg

Way to go Turbo!
Every time I fly to the local airport restaurant, I try to give every kid there with the 'spark' in their eyes a tour of my plane.
You reminded me it's not just the 7-year-olds looking for that magic :)

brian, yes i love putting kids in the seat and talking planes to them till they are ready to get out.
while waiting for departure clearance at Hartford with pat, he told me this was the place of his first flight with his dad when he was 5 years old. he said he remembered it like it was yesterday. now that was cool. :cool:

Thanks!

Thanks for taking Pat for a ride, Turbo! He and I flew together in Metroliners and Brasilias in the '80's. He's a good guy. I haven't seen Pat in a few years, since we are on different airplanes at different bases. Hopefully you will be seeing more of him.

Gary, I remember him talking about the metroliners. I will see him tomorrow. If you want his info email me. [email protected] and I will forward his info to you. We are hookn up with some rvs for breakfast in the morning. If we get the info you can surprise him with a call tomorrow. Small world. Thought some one would know him.

Last edited:
You think you did a favor????

Run Pat Run!!!!

This is how it started with me:
-----------------------------
"Sure, try a ride in my RV6. It's free. You'll like it. No really, I won't charge you a thing. No, it won't cost you a zillion dollars. It's just a short ride."

And how does it end?
--------------------
"Hello, My name is Dave and I'm a home builder."

:eek:

We miss you man!

Sounds like you're having a great time up north this year Ed. MJ and I have been to a couple of Fl aeroclub and Grasshopper fly ins and we are asked how you are doing. I think Van may owe us a commission on the number of kits we've sold giving demo rides, LOL. See you in the fall. Woodman

+1

Run Pat Run!!!!

This is how it started with me:
-----------------------------
"Sure, try a ride in my RV6. It's free. You'll like it. No really, I won't charge you a thing. No, it won't cost you a zillion dollars. It's just a short ride."

And how does it end?
--------------------
"Hello, My name is Dave and I'm a home builder."

:eek:

Me too, except it was a ride in a 7A. We flew from Denver to Yellowstone (for LUNCH) then back. I was immediately hooked.

I remember my ride in Florida back in 1999. Yes this is cool I thought, I think I'll spend some cash on a new rv. Deal done. Best decision I have made in a long time. That is how it is done in life. Fast forward to 2004, we'll hello miss kim, would you like to go for a ride in my rv? Ok, she said. Flipped her up side down, a few hard gs, and she was still smiling, priceless. End of story. Thank you.

Gave a ride today!

I saw a young boy a few weeks ago and went to the fence to talk to him. His name is Charlie and he loves aviation. He was very excited to talk to me and asked me questions that only another pilot might ask. He asked about my plane, what type of equipment was in it and what kind of headsets I used. Last week he stopped by and ask more about it. I invited him to come sit in it. He told me what most of the things did in it. I told him that maybe another day I might be able to give him a ride. Well today I got to do that! I explained how everything worked and showed him how to fly it. I gave him the controls and he did a very good job flying it. He keep it level and did very nice turns. He had a great time and so did I!

2014-09-23%2520008L.jpg

I had some clear buttons and I made him a pin with this on it. I think he'll be showing it off for a few day!
CharliePin.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! and nice paint too.

Your story reminds of a road trip to "wherever" after I got out of college. At one point I stumbled across Chino airport. Probably looked like a "guy hanging on the fence". Ended up being invited for a ride in the front seat of a classic cub. Never forgot it. I wish I knew who the pilot was. Would like to thank him again. This was June 1984.

Bevan

RE: Giving Rides

Bobby:

Awesome story! It's a great thing to share our love of aviation. A kind act like that can totally change the direction of a kid's life. I have given scores of rides to lots of children of various ages. Even years later I had one dad tell me that "every time we drive by the airport, my son tells me that that's where he flew that experimental plane". It really leaves an impression on the imagination of the young ones. Good on you.

Bobby:

Awesome story! It's a great thing to share our love of aviation. A kind act like that can totally change the direction of a kid's life. I have given scores of rides to lots of children of various ages. Even years later I had one dad tell me that "every time we drive by the airport, my son tells me that that's where he flew that experimental plane". It really leaves an impression on the imagination of the young ones. Good on you.

Absolutely! That's my story. A cool airline pilot let me come into the cockpit (hey it was the 70s....), gave me those little pilot wings, and even stuck around for some photos after the flight. I still have the photos, and I think back on that day often. The pilot? He probably forgot about the whole thing five minutes after it was over. But for a kid, that stuff absolutely sticks with you. The photo is here:

http://www.rapp.org/archives/2013/05/looking-back/

--Ron

Back in the early 70's my dad and I got a full tour of the ATC facility inside DCA just by knocking on the door.

I saw a young boy a few weeks ago and went to the fence to talk to him. His name is Charlie and he loves aviation......Well today I got to do that! I explained how everything worked and showed him how to fly it. I gave him the controls and he did a very good job flying it. He keep it level and did very nice turns. He had a great time and so did I!

Bobby.......that is AWESOME!!! This is the spirit of grassroots aviation!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

I'll bet two people went home happy. Thanks for sharing. That boy will probably have a lifelong memory of that flight.

I can remember back when I was 13 YOA and went to the ultralight park (Florida Flying Gators) with my dad to take pictures for a photography Merit Badge. My dad asked if I wanted to go for a ride and I said Sure. After my flight, he asked if I wanted to start taking lessons to learn to fly. After 10 hours, I soloed in an Advance Aviation Cobra and the rest is history. Fast forward 26 years later, I am still flying, my wife and I have an RV-7A and I also fly Bell Helicopters for the Sherriff's Office. Its hard to believe how one flight can change your life.

Ed when you coming back to Florida, we need to meet up so you can see the new RV. Sure is a lot different then the Searey.

Wonderful story...

Can just see the joy in the lad's face. Takes me back to my first ride in a Taylorcraft when I was eleven. I was bitten, so is this kid. Good show!! :D
Cheers,

Great

Great story. Love it.

I also like the button idea. I'm going to have to look into them.

Never fly with the right seat empty.....

At work or play :D

I have flown the 7 solo, but only to do a specific display for someone.

I have always thought a seat empty is a seat wasted - you never know who you may inspire.

Good for you Bobby

I have taken some local Boy Scouts up to get their merit badges. Also been surprised how good they could kept the plane level in flight and in turns. GPS tracking and glass panel is automatic for youngster's. :)
Squeak

Never fly with the right seat empty.....

At work or play :D

I have flown the 7 solo, but only to do a specific display for someone.

I have always thought a seat empty is a seat wasted - you never know who you may inspire.

Halleluejah brother!! This is one of the best threads ever. I think we should all challenge ourselves to take someone for a ride...particularly someone who is on the outside looking in. What better way to stir up interest for GA. Way to go guys!!

met some grand parents this summer with this little one in hand at keene NH. after talking for quite a while we headed to the plane. should of tried to get her out for a taxi ride. what fun!
photo-5.jpg

Back